Two notes Torpedo usage

jaymz16

I am interested in the Torpedo and using it with the Axe Fx my question is does anyone do this and if so is there any advantage to it over the cabs that come with the Axe or the ones you can purchase. The video for the torpedo does show the software to be very user friendly and the ability to move the mic around is a nice option but can you do this if you purchase IR's from other companies like ownhammer?
I would only be using it with the Axe Fx so I think the attenuator and other options that go with the higher priced Two Notes products would probably not be very useful for my set-up. Although I would be running it through a Friedman monitor which requires a XLR cable and the lowest priced Torpedo only has 1/4" output so that would require an additional cable also.

Thanks for any advice

I have not used Fractal's cab lab but sounds like you should look into that instead. I can't see any reason to justify an axe fx user using a torpedo unless you use it as an attenuator for a real tube amp. Even then there are other products for that too.

No, I have the Torpedo (but no Axe yet).

If you buy external IRs, you cannot move mics around. It only works with the built in cabs. Unfortunately, I am not super impressed by the built in cabs, so I bought external IRs instead. Then the torpedo is a very expensive IR loader. When I get my Axe, the Torpedo will be the first thing to go on sale.

Thanks for the information, I do have other question does the torpedo offer a different sound than the axe if both were using the same IR? And would the axe sound different running through the torpedo and using the torpedo IR instead of one its own? If both IR's were the same and from a third party? The torpedo is supposed to offer a power amp side simulation that you can chose different tubes to achieve a different sound would this affect the overall sound?
I have noticed a few YouTube videos using the axe and the torpedo combined but nothing comparing the difference between the two sound wise.

I do not have an axe, so I cannot answer everything

I guess, if Axe and Torpedo were running the same IR, they should sound identical. But as far as I understand Axe is limited to sample lengths of 80 ms. @ownhammer offers 500 ms long samples for their IRs - I do not know, if Torpedo can handle longer sample lengths than Axe.

I never liked the Torpedo Power Amp simulation. It seems to be a static frequency response to the input. There is no SAG or power amp compression whatsoever - It is very stiff and unmusical.

Thanks for the information. What a let down on the torpedo i guess it would be best to not purchase that piece of equipment.

In all fairness, I know other people that have been fairly happy with the power amp simulations - It just didn't work for me.

The Two Notes tube power amp sims offer tons of sag and compression, HF rolloff, and everything else associated with tube power ams without the SPL.

It's important to understand that their Presence Control works backwards so start with it up high or maxed, and two have at minimum -6 peaks on it's input.

I use it with various tube preamps and Axe Ultra for FX, sounds and feels great.

Can't wait to compare with the LB-1. Better? I hope so!

Anyways, the Torpedo Studio (or WOS) doesn't have the issues IRs have. If you want to sound like a true cab, it's the only solution for now.

Their cabs are not a simple EQ like an IR. If set properly they don't sound nasal or fizzy, because the harmonic content of the amp doesn't end up being caricatured by some notches and peaks in the 1000-2000 and 6000-10000hz range.

Also they don't sound two dimensional. Hard panned IRs sound dead, hard panned Torpedo sounds huge. But the Torpedo only gives its best with true amps, or true-enough amp sims like with the current quantum firmwares.

I defy anyone to sound that huge with mere IRs, I tried for 15 years in vain. Yet it took me 10 minutes to set that sound :

It's just one AX8 amp block (5153 100w red) followed by two blended Torpedo cabs (diezel/recto).

Anyways, the Torpedo Studio (or WOS) doesn't have the issues IRs have. If you want to sound like a true cab, it's the only solution for now.

Their cabs are not a simple EQ like an IR. If set properly they don't sound nasal or fizzy, because the harmonic content of the amp doesn't end up being caricatured by some notches and peaks in the 1000-2000 and 6000-10000hz range.

Also they don't sound two dimensional. Hard panned IRs sound dead, hard panned Torpedo sounds huge. But the Torpedo only gives its best with true amps, or true-enough amp sims like with the current quantum firmwares.

I defy anyone to sound that huge with mere IRs, I tried for 15 years in vain. Yet it took me 10 minutes to set that sound :

It's just one AX8 amp block (5153 100w red) followed by two blended Torpedo cabs (diezel/recto).

The cabs in a Torpedo are IRs. Nothing more, nothing less. They are 1024 sample IRs.

You can try to shoot IRs of the IRs in the Torpedo and use it with your AX8 (if the AX8 can capture IRs like the Axe-Fx can). It should sound pretty much exactly the same if Cliff's statement is true which i don't doubt.
And don't forget to upload those IRs afterwards for everyone. ;)

You can try to shoot IRs of the IRs in the Torpedo and use it with your AX8 (if the AX8 can capture IRs like the Axe-Fx can). It should sound pretty much exactly the same if Cliff's statement is true which i don't doubt.
And don't forget to upload those IRs afterwards for everyone. ;)

Only Axe Fx II can shoot IR files.
The AX8 can not

The cabs in a Torpedo are IRs. Nothing more, nothing less. They are 1024 sample IRs.

I thought Torpedo Studio (studio specifically) claimed to use non-linear convolution (volterra kernels maybe? ).. I don't have that device so I can't test myself...

I wouldn't bother with the torpedo, just get the Wall Of Sound (WOS), plug in, if you want to check it out. Same thing with no load box. Cab Lab is cheaper and the cab ir's are better and more suited to the Axe, obviously. No real advantage, unless your using a real amplifier.

I have used the Torpedo Studio for some time now and find it good enough to warrant buying more than one unit but as Cliff has pointed out their just IRs nothing more or less. The Studio runs at higher rates has more features than the Live or Cab but its expensive. I hope Cliff will offer superior features and processing power in the LB-1, and (please add something like the level matching function from the Torpedo Reload) because even tho I have two AxeFxs and plan to buy more I still like to use my amps.

Sorry, I had the complete opposite experience. I found Torpedo WoS to be utterly useless. I never managed to get a single good tones out of the built in Torpedo simulation (I had the Torpedo CAB which included WoS). In the end, I ended up buying CabIR and RedWirez IRs and using the Torpedo as a IR loader only. Sounded much better to me.

Back
Top Bottom