TWO new Cab-Packs!

Yup, the left speaker of Keith Urban's amp was definitely the better of the two. The speakers are not the original speakers, they are Two Rocks. No idea what model or who they are made by. The 313 was indeed a KSM313.

Ooh interesting. Two Rock started using WGS speakers and have their own speaker built to their spec by them. I absolutely love their stuff, but there's barely any good demos online for people to get a good idea.

Cab Pack 14: 4x12 UltraRes™ Collection (Version 2.0) + Bonus Free Cab Pack 5. It's Great.

Any chance to get an Upgrade price for those who have ordered the Cab Pack 5?

How's the new version of the 1960TV cab sounding?

It's the star of the show for me, along with the 5153 cab and the Citrus.
A much better batch of IR's than the captures of the TV cab in Cab Pack 5, which left me a little underwhelmed at the time.
You could conceivably find a replacement for the Mighty Factory Cab 103 (Basketweave TV Mix) in here.

It's the star of the show for me, along with the 5153 cab and the Citrus.
A much better batch of IR's than the captures of the TV cab in Cab Pack 5, which left me a little underwhelmed at the time.
You could conceivably find a replacement for the Mighty Factory Cab 103 (Basketweave TV Mix) in here.

Yeah, I was tempted to replace 103 but the backlash would've been epic, LOL.

I'll say it again: Mic+DI USING THE AXE-FX results in superior IRs. You can get close by recording a reference sweep but it's not quite the same since the deconvolution algorithm in the Axe-Fx is superior.

Any idea wrt speakers? Looks likely to be V30 heavy. What about the TV cab? Is the Lerxst GBs ala cab pack 5?

Fractal Audio Systems - Cab Packs

4x12 5153, Based on 5150III®
4x12 Citrus, Based on an Orange™ PPC412
4x12 Lerxst, Based on a Mojotone Lerxt Alex Lifeson 4x12
4x12 Recto, Based on a vintage Mesa™ Rectifier
4x12 Recto New, Based on a Standard Recto cab
4x12 TV, Based on a Marshall™ 1960TV
4x12 Cali (aka “Cliff’s Boogie”)
FREE BONUS: Cab Pack 5 is included, with over 130 additional IRs.

Last edited:
It's the star of the show for me, along with the 5153 cab

I'm a big Mesa fan so I had only gotten to the two recto cabs when I had first posted. Last night I tackled the 5153 cab. OMG I'm in love with that cab now as well. Cab pack 10's Marshall has an impulse in it that I felt was pretty much the end all be all for me for Marshall cabs, but if the quality of these impulses in 14 are any indication, it looks like the TV cab will be my next investigation and possibly the new king.

Cab pack 14 is quickly replacing every impulse in my Axe. I probably should pick up 15 as well. These impulses are incredible! I think I'll go as far as to say I don't think I'm going to be interested in purchasing any impulses unless they're using the mic/di technique anymore.

I'll say it again: Mic+DI USING THE AXE-FX results in superior IRs. You can get close by recording a reference sweep but it's not quite the same since the deconvolution algorithm in the Axe-Fx is superior.

Ok someone is very fond of presets using e.g. cab F103. If you have a better version of more or less the same cab, what would it take to get the preset to sound "the same" but with the new cab?

I think it's kind of sad not to put in the better cabs.

Ok someone is very fond of presets using e.g. cab F103. If you have a better version of more or less the same cab, what would it take to get the preset to sound "the same" but with the new cab?

I think it's kind of sad not to put in the better cabs.

"Better" is subjective. That's the problem. I understand what you're saying but the TV Cab in the axe has been a fav for the masses over and over for quite some time. To replace it with a "better" one will still change people's tones. Supplying them with a means to tweak the new cab to sound like the old would be risky if not impossible. As the saying goes "Pleasing everyone is impossible. But pissing off everyone is a piece of cake.".

I'd love to see a new version mix of the 103 TV cab !!!! Actually was hoping for it!!!

"Better" is subjective. That's the problem. I understand what you're saying but the TV Cab in the axe has been a fav for the masses over and over for quite some time. To replace it with a "better" one will still change people's tones. Supplying them with a means to tweak the new cab to sound like the old would be risky if not impossible. As the saying goes "Pleasing everyone is impossible. But pissing off everyone is a piece of cake.".

I know you're right, was a though I had that if it might take one or two things to "reduce" back from Ultrares, well it was a long shot.

I purchased cab pack 14 (almost) specifically for the TV Cab. Haven't even tried the others yet, but for my taste all I can say is WOW. Hardest part for me is deciding which one is best!

I'm not into user cabs as much as some others, this is my third pack purchased, I have 3 and 5 also. Quite frankly I wasn't really impressed with 5 and at the moment don't think I have anything in my user slots from there. They weren't bad, I just found samples in pack 3 and other sources that I like better. I was a bit worried about purchasing these thinking it might be more of the same, but I couldn't be more wrong. These rock.

I don't want to be rude, but I'm going to say it just because someone should, but asking for a rebate or discount....c'mon guys it's 30 bucks. For all the work that went into these I think it's worth every penny, even though I bought Cab Pack 5 also. If you like these cabs as much as I do, I doubt you're going to like them more for $20.

I don't want to be rude, but I'm going to say it just because someone should, but asking for a rebate or discount....c'mon guys it's 30 bucks. For all the work that went into these I think it's worth every penny, even though I bought Cab Pack 5 also. If you like these cabs as much as I do, I doubt you're going to like them more for $20.

Yeah, you have a point. We get free firmware upgrades all the time with new improvements in each one. I'm not looking for a rebate or anything but I will holdout from buying immediately in the future. :)

Yeah exactly. It's kind of becoming a weird trend in here that instead of wishing for new features people are DEMANDING certain stuff and most of the time those demanding don't actually even know what it is that they're asking for. "Better" is definitely a personal opinion. That is exactly why there's Cab Pack 8 for $24.99 with only one cab (the TV cab and 169 IRs including all speakers, alloy mixes etc. used by professionals like Misha Mansoor, Chris Broderick...) and Cab Pack 14 that is way cheaper in comparison and it includes so many other 4x12 cabs also. (however 29 IRs of the TV cab) If I had to shoot the TV cab again I would change nothing about the methods I used for it before. If you really like the TV cab then Cab Pack 8 is the most versatile and usable option for you and I haven't received one bad comment as feedback for it. However Cab Pack 14 is more versatile as it has soooo many different cabs in it.

Just to give everyone some reference here's a comparison between all the stock TV IRs vs the new TV cab from Cab Pack 14.

1st: 4x12 TV Mix C1 (ML) (An IR mix made by Cliff from Cab Pack 8 )
2nd: 4x12 TV Mix C4 (ML) (An IR mix made by Cliff from Cab Pack 8 )
3rd: 4x12 Basketweave TV Mix (Redwirez?)
4th: 4x12 TV Mix #1 (Cab Pack 5)
5th: 4x12 TV Mix #2 (Cab Pack 5)
6th: TV mix Cab Pack 14 (the pack itself doesn't include mixes but I mixed the "ace" SM57 and R121 together)

The amp sim is Friedman HBE with noonish settings.

Wasn't excactly demanding anything but asking a question and used the word better, but should probably used the word superior like FractalAudio did. But superior is also subjective, so how to talk about it?

Wasn't excactly demanding anything but asking a question and used the word better, but should probably used the word superior like FractalAudio did. But superior is also subjective, so how to talk about it?

Superior is definitely subjective and actually if you read Cliff's original post he did state "IMO" and the superiority was referring to the DI box they used.

This however...

I'll say it again: Mic+DI USING THE AXE-FX results in superior IRs.

This is a question I have to deal with way too much nowadays coming from people who don't know the background story (or the science) so let me deal with this now. I was the one who stepped up the IR game to where removing the power amp color has now become a standard. It was me. Remember this thread? http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-user-cabs-irs/86371-clark-kents-teh-dollar-sound-irs.html Yes that would be me over a year ago talking about a secret IR shoot method as a joke as the Clark Kent alias always did but the "secret" indeed was that I was shooting IRs with a tube amp and removing the power amp color and the results I got were amazing. Looking back at that feels crazy since I was just messing around in my studio not knowing where Fractal Audio would take me. :)

So when people ask me why I'm not using mic+di the answer is because my method is the reason there is mic+di in the first place and the difference is inaudible and IMHO the main reason an IR is good is microphone placement. I would take a good microphone placement with "mic only" any day over "mic+di/my method" and a mediocre microphone placement. I definitely agree that Cab Pack 14 is better than Cab Pack 5. Cab Pack 14 is the best Cab Pack FAS has produced until this day but I believe the most significant applause deserving reason is the microphone placements. :) They are really good! And for $29.99 the value you get is insane!!! Buy it now if you haven't already.

About the inaudibility between mic+di and my method however: Here's a clip where one of the clips is "mic+di" and one of them is "my method" and just to make it more exciting I threw in a "mic only" clip to give everything a bit more perspective. The microphone placement is exactly the same for all clips. So what do you think plays a bigger role? Microphone placement or IR shoot method? And if one of these methods is infact superior can you point out which it is? :)

Back
Top Bottom