TWO new Cab-Packs!

Agreed, mic placement is critical.
Fractal sure knows how to place mics :lol
I've always preferred the "overly-bright" IR's, as do those I most often jam with.
For some reason, it's easier for us to tame tones that are too bright than it is to deal with swamps of mud.

Mikko

I can't say which is best of the clips but the # is superior ;)

I can hear a difference but in a few seconds it's gone and I'm adjusted to the present clip. And I don't know which is what, all is good. From the tiny dealing with mic placement I have done I have no problem with that it is the key to it.

Personally I'm aware that you were the one that started the method and that your dedication is a goldmine to our sounds.

Cab pack 14, hmm I was thinking 15, but I will surely end up with more than that one. But it have to be after my leave since I don't want to be glued to the chair sitting indoors to much.

6th: TV mix Cab Pack 14 (the pack itself doesn't include mixes but I mixed the "ace" SM57 and R121 together)

with th "ace" SM57 and R121 which of the speakers (a, b, c, d, e. ....) did you use and did you mix one ir wih less db's. I for instance mix for a start, depending on amp and tone I want, SM57 at 0 dB and R121 at -3 dB. What's your mix like Mikko?

The mic placements for cab pack 15 are GREAT!

The addition of the off axis IR's is really useful for me. They are done with great skill as to provide cut without too much comb filtering (for my taste).

Ahhhh very nice I've been waiting for this new FAS 4x12 Cab Pack to come out and I'm going to get these as well as the new 2x12 pack (very cool pack; this is a great variety of modern IR's for several versions of speakers/cabs....I love it), Cab Pack 10 (I've been holding off getting this until now; the factory IR samples with these speakers rock), and I might even pick up Cab Pack 8 (looks like a thorough capture of a Greenback Marshall). With all of this new modern IR's I should be good to go...

...or maybe not lol; I see the Dumble 4x12 and austinbuddies Bludotone IR's didn't make it into this pack...I assume there will be a forthcoming "Dumble-ish" pack coming as well??? I seriously love the new factory IR's 105/106 Dumble IR's...I'll have to get this pack too...

Those are coming soon, promise...we're just spacing all these great Cab Packs out a little!

Im curious if the bonus cabs in Cab Pack 14 are exactly the same ones as they were in the discontinued Cab Pack 5. Does this addition have something to do with the UltraRes bug which was present in the Axe-Fx firmware during the shooting of Cab Pack 5? If not: Can we expect more free bonus Cab Packs in future Cab Packs? ;) :D

Those are coming soon, promise...we're just spacing all these great Cab Packs out a little!

Great to hear Buddy. I hope you had a great 4th. I spent mine integrating my new RAC12 with my XL rig. Looking forward to integrating Packs 14 and 15 with Cab Lab 3 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK cool! It's wild how good the latest IR's sound with the new methods of capturing them; the speaker/IR side of things has made amazing strides as of late and I find this all very exciting indeed. The perfect compliment to the current state of amp modelling/G3.

I'm very anxious and interested to hear your cab IR's...!

Here's a clip where one of the clips is "mic+di" and one of them is "my method" and just to make it more exciting I threw in a "mic only" clip to give everything a bit more perspective. The microphone placement is exactly the same for all clips. So what do you think plays a bigger role? Microphone placement or IR shoot method? And if one of these methods is infact superior can you point out which it is? :)

First one has a good bass response, but is lacking a little on the top end. The second one lacks in the bass response and I'd place this one on the bottom of the list. The third one has good bass response and includes the top-end bite that the first was lacking.

So, IMHO, the third one sounded the best.

Just to keep this in perspective though, I am nitpicking and I'd easily rock anyone of these IRs.

First one has a good bass response, but is lacking a little on the top end. The second one lacks in the bass response and I'd place this one on the bottom of the list. The third one has good bass response and includes the top-end bite that the first was lacking.

So, IMHO, the third one sounded the best.

Just to keep this in perspective though, I am nitpicking and I'd easily rock anyone of these IRs.

Yup. :) If you really tune in and really listen closely you'll start to hear differences but you really have to concentrate to hear them. I think it's safe the say the quality increase to Cab Pack 14 from Cab Pack 5 is way bigger than the difference between "mic only" vs "mic+di". I think it's safe to say that mic+di is not the only reason these cabs were re-done. I assume it was Matt mic'ing the cabs this time right? I gave Matt good feedback on the mic positions for Cab Pack 10. That 4x10 cab was maybe on of my favorites from FAS until Cab Pack 14. This essentially has the cabs most of us dream about right?

Thoroughly enjoying Cab Pack 14 so far. This pack feels like it was designed for designing mixed IRs; combining an SM57 IR with some other IR shot with a different microphone (say, darker mics like the R121 or RNR1) is giving me some great results!

Is there any chance for all-Marshall Cab Pack (2x12 and 4x12 with different speakers like G12M, G12H, G12T-75, V30, Vintage, Heritage etc.) in the future? :roll

I'm actually getting tired of all the Celestion IRs. It's getting redundant. I'd personally like to see more Eminence speakers. Or newer models from other companies like Jensen and ect.

any major reviews of cab pack 14 for high gain? every ir pack I get promises to be the next coming, yet I still find I go back to stock Irs!

Yeah exactly. It's kind of becoming a weird trend in here that instead of wishing for new features people are DEMANDING certain stuff and most of the time those demanding don't actually even know what it is that they're asking for. "Better" is definitely a personal opinion. That is exactly why there's Cab Pack 8 for $24.99 with only one cab (the TV cab and 169 IRs including all speakers, alloy mixes etc. used by professionals like Misha Mansoor, Chris Broderick...) and Cab Pack 14 that is way cheaper in comparison and it includes so many other 4x12 cabs also. (however 29 IRs of the TV cab) If I had to shoot the TV cab again I would change nothing about the methods I used for it before. If you really like the TV cab then Cab Pack 8 is the most versatile and usable option for you and I haven't received one bad comment as feedback for it. However Cab Pack 14 is more versatile as it has soooo many different cabs in it.

Just to give everyone some reference here's a comparison between all the stock TV IRs vs the new TV cab from Cab Pack 14.

1st: 4x12 TV Mix C1 (ML) (An IR mix made by Cliff from Cab Pack 8 )
2nd: 4x12 TV Mix C4 (ML) (An IR mix made by Cliff from Cab Pack 8 )
3rd: 4x12 Basketweave TV Mix (Redwirez?)
4th: 4x12 TV Mix #1 (Cab Pack 5)
5th: 4x12 TV Mix #2 (Cab Pack 5)
6th: TV mix Cab Pack 14 (the pack itself doesn't include mixes but I mixed the "ace" SM57 and R121 together)

The amp sim is Friedman HBE with noonish settings.

So the 3rd is IR 103 in the Axe stock library?

Also, did you change any amp settings when you recorded #6? That sounds really bright and shrill compared to all the others?

So the 3rd is IR 103 in the Axe stock library?

Yup. IMO that's the type of tone that sounds good when soloed like this but when you put it in a song/mix context you'll find you have no place sitting in it without drastic EQ.

Also, did you change any amp settings when you recorded #6? That sounds really bright and shrill compared to all the others?

All clips are the exact same loop going through the same amp settings. HBE with everything at noon. I think bass may have been on 4. I originally had an SM57 IR only since the pack doesn't have mixes but since it was quite bright I blended the "A" options of an SM57 and R121 together for that clip. It's still quite bright like you said. It was quite quick comparison I put together. I'm sure you can get better tones with all of those IRs.

Yup. IMO that's the type of tone that sounds good when soloed like this but when you put it in a song/mix context you'll find you have no place sitting in it without drastic EQ.

All clips are the exact same loop going through the same amp settings. HBE with everything at noon. I think bass may have been on 4. I originally had an SM57 IR only since the pack doesn't have mixes but since it was quite bright I blended the "A" options of an SM57 and R121 together for that clip. It's still quite bright like you said. It was quite quick comparison I put together. I'm sure you can get better tones with all of those IRs.

I actually liked the Cab Pack 8 the best....maybe I'll grab that.
I have Cab Pack 5, and was never crazy about it.

Thanks for the compare ML, very helpful.

I actually liked the Cab Pack 8 the best....maybe I'll grab that.
I have Cab Pack 5, and was never crazy about it.

Thanks for the compare ML, very helpful.

Oh great! Thanks for that. :) All the feedback I've got for that pack has been positive. I think Gamedojo is still using that pack and he always sounds awesome. I believe Chris Broderick uses this pack also. :)

Back
Top Bottom