Tweeter squeal ruined the rehearsal last night!

I'm thinking of changing to guitar speakers instead of frfr for this reason. With single coils, it's impossible to dial out the squealing.
I use feedback a lot, but when I turn to my Q12, it's more often that high-pitched squeal instead of musical feedback

I'm thinking of changing to guitar speakers instead of frfr for this reason. With single coils, it's impossible to dial out the squealing.
I use feedback a lot, but when I turn to my Q12, it's more often that high-pitched squeal instead of musical feedback

That's very strange. I have never had this problem with single coils and any FRFR monitoring. I wish I could tell you what I was doing to avoid it other than turning down presence and treble.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Obviously there are many players out there using FRFR with single coils having no issues at all, that's why I'm interested in the subject.

I'm not thinking of moving back to traditional cabs, as FRFR offers me a lot of flexibility (not to mention a large outlay of cash) and works well in my normal band environment (although every now and then as stated in my O.P - I do get the squeal on both my Strat and PRS 513 in single coil mode), but would be lovely to see how others are handling things.

Any other Q12 or Q12a users out there that could chime in? Do you or do you not have this problem when using overdrive sounds? Could it be a Q12 thing? Shouldn't be (I would hope)..

It's not specific to the Q12, I use an RCA and I get a similar issue with my Tele. Tele is very bright in the bridge position, and yes, it can be harsh, but with a real amp, or when I used the AXE into a pwr amp and cab it never was like it is now with a wedge. It's a super high pitched microphonic thing. I've had to dial out a lot of high end and gain. Which is unfortunate because I too use tons of musical feedback for bloom and sustain and I've found it to be something I can't do. It's a bummer because I have to darken the tone so much to get rid of the feedback it basically looses the traits of why I like using a bright tele bridge PU in the first place. I've had to reduce gain massively and roll off tons of highs. So I can get rid of it, but it's become more of mid-to high gain tone instead of a really saturated one that I've been able to do in the past. I'm working with it, but when I A/B the changes to the patches I've made it's quite a revelation of how much darker I've had to make the patches to get rid of it. SO much so that I have to have an entirely different bank of cloned presets for humbucking guitars and my tele's. If I didn't do that the humbucker guitars would be very dark and without any sparkle. I don't have an answer really, just wanted to say I know what you're going thru.

Any other Q12 or Q12a users out there that could chime in? Do you or do you not have this problem when using overdrive sounds? Could it be a Q12 thing? Shouldn't be (I would hope)..

Very happy for everyone using singles and getting no issue, but also glad I'm not on my own!

I also don't want to change pup's, having laid out 2k on a top of the range C.S Stratocaster with Abi pickups (which were one of the things that I felt made the guitar really sing through my valve amps) - I'd quite like to use it :)

It's definitely a microphonic/magnetic type sound and one that is not pleasant to the ear.

I also don't want to have to dial in my patches so dark that they loose the character as It somewhat defeats the object.

Been having same issues
Using single coils is more of a problem. Began to wonder if my Strat could take any gain at all!
I use Matrix FRFR CFR12s
Not playing metal but can be loudish moderate overdrive.
Can happen with any of my guitars, humbuckers also.

Doing the odd small gigs just off the backline has been an issue with feedback.
I have cured it by going output 1 to desk and FOH, and output 2 feeding the Matrix gear. Keep the monitors close and at a level that I enjoy the sound.
I assumed the issue was that I was just too close to loud speakers which was the case. FRFR is much more sensitive to this unpleasent type of feedback
Been interesting to hear that I'm not the only one with this problem.

Ok - the title was a little dramatic, but this is an issue I'm curious how others are dealing with.

I had the same issue recently when I switched to FRFR cabs and made a thread about it here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/amps-...ack-latency-issues-frfr-cabs.html#post1085903

I resolved the issue by lowering the first 2 and last 2 frequencies all the way down in the Global EQ and I no longer get the horrible high pitched out of control feedback. I only lowered the first 2 frequencies to get rid of the boomy low end but I lowered the last 2 frequencies all the way down because my guitar tone never uses them and it stops the high pitch feedback loop because it can't keep regenerating that high of a frequency. This even works with my old $75 Samick guitar with stock single coils with preset 035 FAS Lead 2.

Hey, Daribo, can you post a problem patch? I could check it out with my Strat and Teles through my CLRs and see if I have the same problem.

Hi all,
I had the same problem with a tele - the squeal continued even with the mixer down!
And,.... I found a way to cure it - changing the input impedance to 22k gets rid of it for me entirely.

Hope it helps some of you as well!

Pauly

Potting PU could help but chances are little for your case. I'd fine for cutting high's a bit and everywhere at loud settings as indicated clarky, or else cut down a bit the sound of the band. Why kill the ears of your public ?

Hey, Daribo, can you post a problem patch? I could check it out with my Strat and Teles through my CLRs and see if I have the same problem.

Karl - that's very kind of you. There is one in this thread - scene 3 and 4 are the obvious culprits (4 has an extra drive engaged and was all but unusable at the rehearsal, so I stayed on 3, but was still an issue).

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...mps-when-using-drive-pedal-not-using-x-y.html

I have since lowered some treble a bit, but haven't had a chance to check it out yet at live volumes. Clean sound didn't give me an issue anyhow - mainly the drives and I wouldn't consider them overly bright although would like your input.
I usually lay my Strat with the tone rolled back to around 7, just FYI.

Hi all,
I had the same problem with a tele - the squeal continued even with the mixer down!
And,.... I found a way to cure it - changing the input impedance to 22k gets rid of it for me entirely.

Hope it helps some of you as well!

Pauly

Pauly - thanks for this - will give it a try! Just out of interest - did this change the sound of the guitar much?

Last edited:
I had the same issue recently when I switched to FRFR cabs and made a thread about it here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/amps-...ack-latency-issues-frfr-cabs.html#post1085903

I resolved the issue by lowering the first 2 and last 2 frequencies all the way down in the Global EQ and I no longer get the horrible high pitched out of control feedback. I only lowered the first 2 frequencies to get rid of the boomy low end but I lowered the last 2 frequencies all the way down because my guitar tone never uses them and it stops the high pitch feedback loop because it can't keep regenerating that high of a frequency. This even works with my old $75 Samick guitar with stock single coils with preset 035 FAS Lead 2.

Will give this a try - thanks!

Hi daribo,

Nope not much at all! And it became usable ;-)

By the way - Cliff, if you get to see this- the fact that the squealing takes place even with no volume, and impedance gets rid of the issue, would that not indicate an unwelcome oscillation rather than acoustic (or inductive) feedback? Ie; something that needs to be looked at your end? Hope so.
Thanks

Pauly

Pauly - thanks for this - will give it a try! Just out of interest - did this change the sound of the guitar much?

Back
Top Bottom