Tweaking the Dual Rec

Joero6

Inspired
I just started playing with Recto2 red modern. I am running it stock with the T808 OD (stock) in front of it. I run an FX loop after the head controlling my Rocktron Guitar Silencer. Finally I use the2290 W/ mod as my delay. This feeds to my Matrix power amp into 2 4x12 cabs with 85 watt celestions. I am on the most current firmware and have power amp sims on. I have gone through many posts and videos on this head but wanted to get some current input from you guys. If you are using this head now, what current tweaks do you use and why? Most everything I have watched and read are older posts, and I know that sometimes tweaks change with firmware updates. It sounds pretty good stock but I feel it is a tad on the spongy? side...and I feel it lacks a bit of immediate pick attack? Not sure how to explain that part, but I am thinking that I am just used to my previous head which was a soild state Randall Century 200 II. Thanks Joe

I turn the power amp sag WAY down, maybe to .5 or lower. I change the preamp tubes to 12AX7B to get a slightly more aggressive attack. I also use the TS808 with about 0.5 drive level to add a tiny bit of attack but not much. I leave level at whatever it is normally, I don't like to turn it up 100% like most people because I feel like it adds too much grit, but your results may vary.

One thing I've been playing around with lately is removing a bit of bass via pre-EQ. Maybe scoop out like 2-3 dB's of lower frequencies like 60, 120 or whatever. I forget the exact frequencies are listed. But cutting bass going into the amp will really tighten it up. Another option is instead just hitting Cut on the amp page. That really tightens it up but I feel like it kinda takes away some of that meaty Recto gut-punch tone.

I could go on about this model all day. With the exception of the occasional clean sound it's the only amp model I use. Let me know if this helps.

I turn the power amp sag WAY down, maybe to .5 or lower. I change the preamp tubes to 12AX7B to get a slightly more aggressive attack. I also use the TS808 with about 0.5 drive level to add a tiny bit of attack but not much. I leave level at whatever it is normally, I don't like to turn it up 100% like most people because I feel like it adds too much grit, but your results may vary.

One thing I've been playing around with lately is removing a bit of bass via pre-EQ. Maybe scoop out like 2-3 dB's of lower frequencies like 60, 120 or whatever. I forget the exact frequencies are listed. But cutting bass going into the amp will really tighten it up. Another option is instead just hitting Cut on the amp page. That really tightens it up but I feel like it kinda takes away some of that meaty Recto gut-punch tone.

I could go on about this model all day. With the exception of the occasional clean sound it's the only amp model I use. Let me know if this helps.
Going to make a copy of my preset and try the changes you discussed. Joe

I just started playing with Recto2 red modern.

If you are using this head now, what current tweaks do you use and why?
When using that model, I turn the presence knob to 0 or 1. That's a mandatory tweak for me. And the treble knob never goes above 5. I'll also knock the mids down a bit to 3 or 4. Gain at 5. That's about it, I think.

Oh, and TS808 in front is a must.

When using that model, I turn the presence knob to 0 or 1. That's a mandatory tweak for me. And the treble knob never goes above 5. I'll also knock the mids down a bit to 3 or 4. Gain at 5. That's about it, I think.

Oh, and TS808 in front is a must.
Great, thanks for the tips. Joe

I always thought the recto 1 model was better.
wasn’t the recto 2ma model from some boogie that was either different , modded or defective somehow? Maybe it just sound like that to me lol

I always thought the recto 1 model was better.
wasn’t the recto 2ma model from some boogie that was either different , modded or defective somehow? Maybe it just sound like that to me lol
Not too sure...I was just trying out a few heads I don't normally use. I really should compare the two. Joe

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I’ve always had a love/hate relationship with the recto models. I think they take a lot of work to get them sounding good. For what it’s worth I do play metal with a seven string tuned to A, so you may have different experiences if you’re in standard tuning (or close to it) and not playing metal.

I’ve found the best recto tones I’ve got are from the FAS Modern III. it’s most similar in sound and feel to my real 3ch dual rectifier. Though it’s tighter right from the get-go so it does require different eq settings from what you might usually use on a Recto.

These might apply to amp in the room tones

LT - I just got turned on to your videos recently. I REALLY appreciate what you are doing here. I have owned an AxeFX2 for 4 years and feel like only now I am actually learning how to use it - all due to your video series. It has really energized me to dig in more. You have a great way about you and present information in a way that is not intimidating and I can understand. Thank you very much. And I'm mad at you because I'm now gassing for a PRS! :)

Back
Top Bottom