tweak challenge: change the decay slope on delay repeats?

hunter

Experienced
I was wondering what kind of FX chain I would have to set up to get influence on the volume slope of the delay decays.

Like let's say if you have 3 repeats and they would by default be
1st repeat: 80% volume
2nd repeat: 40% volume
3rd repeat: 20% volume

How can I set something up (I was thinking a volume envelope in the delay chain or sth) to tweak it to for example:
1st repeat 80%
2nd repeat 30%
3rd repeat 10%

Like if you had an exponential decay curve but not for steady notes, but instead delay repeats.

Any help appreciated.

For a 3 delay chain it would probably be easiest to use a QuadTap delay and set the volume for each of the 3 repeats separately. That's definitely the best option for the most control over volume.

Haven't tried it with a volume block on a normal delay though.

I think I asked for something similar a while back. It was more around not having any decay. How to get delays that are a fixed number all at equal volumes. I think there is a post somewhere or was it the old forum. I don't remember what Cliff said by he did give some answer and it was around MTD I think....

I suppose you could approximate the effect with a dual delay :
One would be loud, with fast decay
The other not so loud, with more feedback

Yeah I had thought about the quad tap, thanks for that one. But it wouldn't give me the very little volume delay trails I am after (eponentian decay style). The example with 3 delays was badly chosen.

The idea with two identical delays and different volumes is interesting, gotta try if that won't give any phase issues. Hmm, wonder what is better, using them in parallel or in series ...

oddb0d said:
I think I asked for something similar a while back. It was more around not having any decay. How to get delays that are a fixed number all at equal volumes. I think there is a post somewhere or was it the old forum. I don't remember what Cliff said by he did give some answer and it was around MTD I think....
Yes, his answer was pretty much what I said, try the QuadTap...

hunter said:
Yeah I had thought about the quad tap, thanks for that one. But it wouldn't give me the very little volume delay trails I am after (eponentian decay style). The example with 3 delays was badly chosen.
I was afraid you'd say that :lol: . I wish there'd be a volume control for the delay trails in delay blocks. Different delays react very differently when it comes to trail volume and being able to adjust that would be great.

The only way to manipulate it a bit at the moment would be to use different filter slopes in the block, but that's no real substitute imho.

VegaBaby said:
hunter said:
I was afraid you'd say that :lol: . I wish there'd be a volume control for the delay trails in delay blocks. Different delays react very differently when it comes to trail volume and being able to adjust that would be great.

The only way to manipulate it a bit at the moment would be to use different filter slopes in the block, but that's no real substitute imho.

Actually, putting an envelope filter on the delay level, running 100% mix and have the dry and wet in parallel ought to do it

The Ten-Tap delay allows you to do this. You set the number of repeats and the level of each.

FractalAudio said:
The Ten-Tap delay allows you to do this. You set the number of repeats and the level of each.

I forgot entirely about that effect. I forgot that it was even in there!

FractalAudio said:

Indeed that should do it. Thanks for the tip Cliff!

Just did the calculation, converting a 70% degradation per tap to the -50 to +13.5 scale
1: 13,5
2: -5.5
3: -19
4: -28
5: -34
6: -39
7: -42
8: -44
9: -46
10: -47

That with the overall volume of the 10tap in parallel should do the trick (or maybe a bit less or more exponential decay).

I'll try this tonight!

FractalAudio said:
:oops: ...of course ! I've used the TenTap before for some really cool rhythmic patterns, but of course it can be used as a totally simple delay as well and ten taps should usually be enough...

Back
Top Bottom