Tutorial: Dialing Up My Delay with the Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Great stuff.... Very informative. ;)

One of the things I struggle with is translating a lot of these great templates/presets over to a guitar cab layout for both a guitar cab on stage and FOH.
Not to go off topic here....sorry
I use output 1 to FOH and output 2 to my back line guitar cabinet on stage so I end up 'redesigning' my layouts as such. So, when I see a lot of the parallel and series set ups I am trying to translate it to a layout which involves the FXL block etc to accommodate the above.

To add that 'out2 to power amp/cab" functionality requires some adjustments on the grid. You have to move the Cab to the end and add a FXL before it, or in a parallel row. Scott's template fills one row already so you'd have to extend the chain by using Feedback Send/Return.

I am very willing to post a preset. But this is just a general thing Delay Block thing not from one specific preset. It goes for every preset using the delay block. It's just how the delay block works.

As you know we already have another thread going dealing with this. Why diverge this thread and efforts by Scott?
If you don't like or understand the way it works, why not post a wish ?

Yes I know of course. It is not my intention to diverge from Scott's topic and I understand how it works. Totally appreciate the videos and efforts from Scott. Great stuff! It was just that Scott said that lower delay mix setting result in lower volume while it is exact the opposite (at least for me). But I will say no more. Don't want to to argue.

Thanks for a good informative video!

But you mention that you made a IR mix yourself, what application do you use for that?

To add that 'out2 to power amp/cab" functionality requires some adjustments on the grid. You have to move the Cab to the end and add a FXL before it, or in a parallel row. Scott's template fills one row already so you'd have to extend the chain by using Feedback Send/Return.

No need to add feedback send/return; you can branch from column 11 to FXL & cab in column 12. Turn FXL block output level (page 2) to minimum so it doesn't pass non-cab signal to Out 1.

(Actually that still passes a very low level; to mute it completely you can instead set FXL balance and that row's layout mixer balance to opposite sides. The difference probably won't be audible.)

Another really useful video, Scott. Really wish I was on the right continent to catch AxeFest!

Just as a side note: could you give us a bit of insight on your MV input trim setting, used here on the Vox? What do you find it does to the sound to run the MV full up and then pull the trim down as you have on this patch?

Hey Scott,

Thanks for these videos. The reverb video quickly got me dialed into a nice sound, and I am considering adding reverb back I to my chain after having none for 5+ years since it sounds so nice :)

I'm similar to you in that I prefer my effects to be light "enhancements"... Light delay, light chorus... Almost not there.

Anyway I noticed that in both videos your are using input drive to control overall mix level, which makes sense for reverb in parallel, but curious why you use it with a serial delay?

Thanks,

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom