Tutorial: Dialing Up My Delay with the Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

"Dialing Up My Reverb with the Fractal Audio Axe-FX II"

I guess you mean
Dialing Up My Delay with the Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

cool vid.....
interesting that you use it in series..
have you tried goofing around with the delay in parallel with a modulation effect [like a phaser or ring mod] on the delay's wet signal??

one of the things I like to do with delay is to make it 'lo-fi' with EQ and a little drive
lo-fi delays tend to be a little more "seen and not heard"..
so you can get the wet level up with a little less interference with the dry..
which is great if you're shredding.. cos the reflections don't get in the way quite so much..

You may want to amend the title Scott... ;)

"Dialing Up My Reverb with the Fractal Audio Axe-FX II"

I guess you mean
Dialing Up My Delay with the Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

cool vid.....
interesting that you use it in series..
have you tried goofing around with the delay in parallel with a modulation effect [like a phaser or ring mod] on the delay's wet signal??

one of the things I like to do with delay is to make it 'lo-fi' with EQ and a little drive
lo-fi delays tend to be a little more "seen and not heard"..
so you can get the wet level up with a little less interference with the dry..
which is great if you're shredding.. cos the reflections don't get in the way quite so much..

D'oh. Fixed the title. (hides head in shame)

I use it in series since Cliff changed the Mix law in the Delay block; higher mix in series does not require me to monkey with the output level settings when I turn it down. Allows me some flexibility in the routing.

I've tried it ALL ways, trust me. ;) This is just where I am right now. I tend to have just some delay barely perceptible at all on most of the time; roll it up when I want.

Just a fun effect that is extremely flexible and interactive once you start adding controllers and using expression pedals live.

Great stuff.... Very informative. ;)

One of the things I struggle with is translating a lot of these great templates/presets over to a guitar cab layout for both a guitar cab on stage and FOH.
Not to go off topic here....sorry
I use output 1 to FOH and output 2 to my back line guitar cabinet on stage so I end up 'redesigning' my layouts as such. So, when I see a lot of the parallel and series set ups I am trying to translate it to a layout which involves the FXL block etc to accommodate the above.

Great stuff.... Very informative. ;)

One of the things I struggle with is translating a lot of these great templates/presets over to a guitar cab layout for both a guitar cab on stage and FOH.
Not to go off topic here....sorry
I use output 1 to FOH and output 2 to my back line guitar cabinet on stage so I end up 'redesigning' my layouts as such. So, when I see a lot of the parallel and series set ups I am trying to translate it to a layout which involves the FXL block etc to accommodate the above.

You'd need to rethink my personal grid to work that way. It can be done. Yek runs that way; perhaps get a hold of him if you need help right now. I will write it down as a topic to cover in a future video.

I've tried it ALL ways, trust me. ;) This is just where I am right now. I tend to have just some delay barely perceptible at all on most of the time; roll it up when I want.

Just a fun effect that is extremely flexible and interactive once you start adding controllers and using expression pedals live.

I was just wondering if you'd spent much time goofing around with slightly more exotic things to do to a parallel delay's wet signal like:
phaser / flanger / chorus / pitch shifter
lo-fi
or even stranger things

I was just wondering if you'd spent much time goofing around with slightly more exotic things to do to a parallel delay's wet signal like:
phaser / flanger / chorus / pitch shifter
lo-fi
or even stranger things

I have tried all sorts of things; but what you see here is my 'meat and potatoes' delay that I use 99.99% of the time.

It's fun to just play around with the grid and try all sorts of fun things; many of them are jaw droppingly inspiring. What sorts of things are you working with? Spill the beans! ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I have tried all sorts of things; but what you see here is my 'meat and potatoes' delay that I use 99.99% of the time.

It's fun to just play around with the grid and try all sorts of fun things; many of them are jaw droppingly inspiring. What sorts of things are you working with? Spill the beans! ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I've been goofing around with some stuff [didn't save the presets - just noodling]
having the delay play an octave higher and another octave lower
putting a ring mod on the delay's wet signal so the dry guitar is nice and dry, but the delay gets all chewed up
tried a huge 700ms delay and stuck a real chewy phaser on it.. that was fun

I love lo-fi delay with soloing tones
in the delay block, EQ the delay so it's all mids.. squeeze all the lows and highs out and crank up the drive in the tone page..
makes it sound like an old 'bucket brigade' delay..
the cool thing with this is that you can get the delay's level up a little higher but it's a little less 'spanky'.. so it sits a little sweeter in the overall mix..
I guess you could say it's a little less intrusive

what I'm working on right now is a new preset that is simultaneously scenes / modifier controlled
so I have a single delay in parallel split routing to two different rows [row3 and row4] then going into a mixer
it means I can simulate having two different delay blocks but without the CPU hit
when I riff and morph to clean, the delay fades up [mixer gain3]
so the riffing tone is dry and the 'cleaned' tone gets a touch of delay
when I solo, a 'null' filter mutes row3 to the mixer and the delay via row4 kicks in as the modifier brings up mixer gain4
this means that when dirty or 'cleaned' the delay is always there
the outcome is slicker than X-Y switching the delay..
the only down side is that the delay's config [feedback / time / etc] remains constant..
but for me it's working great..

I've been goofing around with some stuff [didn't save the presets - just noodling]
putting a ring mod on the delay's wet signal so the dry guitar is nice and dry, but the delay gets all chewed up

in the delay block, EQ the delay so it's all mids.. squeeze all the lows and highs out and crank up the drive in the tone page..
the cool thing with this is that you can get the delay's level up a little higher but it's a little less 'spanky'.. so it sits a little sweeter in the overall mix..

what I'm working on right now is a new preset that is simultaneously scenes / modifier controlled
so I have a single delay in parallel split routing to two different rows [row3 and row4] then going into a mixer
it means I can simulate having two different delay blocks but without the CPU hit
when I solo, a 'null' filter mutes row3 to the mixer and the delay via row4 kicks in as the modifier brings up mixer gain4
the only down side is that the delay's config [feedback / time / etc] remains constant..

I do a lot of my chorusing and flanging this way. It allows you to do things you cannot do with chorus and flanging alone. This is especially the case when you want more delay time than the flanger offers. You lose some granularity though.

As you stated, the eq section of the delay makes it really interesting for modulation effects.

Thanks for sharing, Scott. Lots of good information there. Given I've got the same pickups in my CU22 now, I found the amp setup helpful also.

Love to see/hear the results Clarky!

Very useful information Scott, I totally appreciate you posting this.....I've been having trouble getting what I want in the delay block and it's like you've opened up a door that I couldn't find. Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom