Tutorial: Dialing Up My Delay with the Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

I don't use a mixer block. But I also notice the volume increase with just the delay in the grid.

I don't use a mixer block. But I also notice the volume increase with just the delay in the grid.

No, the mixer parameters inside the delay block; last page in the hardware, far right bottom corner if you are using the editor.

I was just talking in general that higher mix settings result in more overall volume in the preset. I had the same preset with 15% delay mix and copied it to a new preset and only changed the delay block to 40% delay mix. The one with the 40% delay mix is causing the preset to clip the one with the 15% delay mix is not clipping. Rest of the blocks are exactly the same in both presets.

Hey Scott, thanks a lot that was another really informative video. I find it really interesting to see how more experienced guys like you approach these things.

I do wonder one thing though (maybe a bit off topic) looking at your template, I notice you have all your mod effects at the beginning of the chain before the drive and amp blocks whereas they are conventionally placed after the amp, I guess to replicate how they would used with a real amp and effects loop, ie between the pre and power amp? I'd be really interested to know why you do it this way, maybe this would be a good subject for a future video?

I was just talking in general that higher mix settings result in more overall volume in the preset. I had the same preset with 15% delay mix and copied it to a new preset and only changed the delay block to 40% delay mix. The one with the 40% delay mix is causing the preset to clip the one with the 15% delay mix is not clipping. Rest of the blocks are exactly the same in both presets.

Then you need more headroom in your presets. I set that in the amp block on the output level universally. I start with my cleanest sound and set the output of that at -10db. I then adjust every other preset to relatively match that one. I never run out of headroom even with a lot of effects on and a +5db solo boost.

Hope that helps.

Hey Scott, thanks a lot that was another really informative video. I find it really interesting to see how more experienced guys like you approach these things.

I do wonder one thing though (maybe a bit off topic) looking at your template, I notice you have all your mod effects at the beginning of the chain before the drive and amp blocks whereas they are conventionally placed after the amp, I guess to replicate how they would used with a real amp and effects loop, ie between the pre and power amp? I'd be really interested to know why you do it this way, maybe this would be a good subject for a future video?

Thanks. Yes, I know exactly what you are saying and I agree. I like those modulation effects better in front of the amp due to my preferences and taste. I give up the stereo nature of them (the mono cab sums them) but they sound better - to *me* - in front of the amp.

Nice advantage of the Axe-FX is that you can put them anywhere you want in the chain, in any routing (serial/side-chain/parallel). It's a wonderfully powerful platform.

I'll do a video about it for sure.

these vids you're doing are really great, scott. had you planned on doing anything with the multi/plex delays, synth or internal controllers?

if you hadn't, i think i might go ahead and try my hand at something, if people were interested in that sort of thing. just some tips and tricks i've learned over the years for ambient stuff...

Simeon I for one would be eternally grateful if you could cast some lite on this....the stuff you are getting is really really great! I would love to explore more and learn about which way to go to find things like what you do! I think I'm speaking for many on this!

Scott
I was able to spend a little time last night and I'm really happy with the results......have a better handle on the delays!! Thank you!!!

Then you need more headroom in your presets. I set that in the amp block on the output level universally. I start with my cleanest sound and set the output of that at -10db. I then adjust every other preset to relatively match that one. I never run out of headroom even with a lot of effects on and a +5db solo boost.

Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that there is an increase in volume with higher mix settings of the delay. That was the whole point.

I use a global amp for most of my presets because in this way it is much easier to control my levels between multiple presets. I keep the amp and other effect block level and output level settings the same for this purpose. The change in volume when increasing or decreasing the delay mix levels kind of spoils that convenience. Now I still have to level all my presets according to my delay mix settings.

Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that there is an increase in volume with higher mix settings of the delay. That was the whole point.

I use a global amp for most of my presets because in this way it is much easier to control my levels between multiple presets. I keep the amp and other effect block level and output level settings the same for this purpose. The change in volume when increasing or decreasing the delay mix levels kind of spoils that convenience. Now I still have to level all my presets according to my delay mix settings.

It's how it works; if you add more of something, there is more of the sum. More delay mixed in equals more signal. Up to a 50% level, the Axe-FX now does this automatically, so if you back off the effect with a modifier attached to the mix (assuming you are in series) you don't lose volume. If you use over 50%, then you should, IMHO, use parallel but you *need* to account for the headroom needed in your preset for the added volume. Does that make it clearer?

If you like, you can send me your preset and I can take a look (after this weekend; I'm out of town).

Up to a 50% level, the Axe-FX now does this automatically, so if you back off the effect with a modifier attached to the mix (assuming you are in series) you don't lose volume. If you use over 50%, then you should,

That's not true because delay mix up to 50% (delay in series) does increases volume. That's the whole point of my posts. Not only over 50% but it increases volume in all mix settings. You loose volume when backing up the mix with an expression pedal and gain volume when you increase the mix.

How about you share your preset and we can start a thread on this and figure it out?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

I am very willing to post a preset. But this is just a general thing Delay Block thing not from one specific preset. It goes for every preset using the delay block. It's just how the delay block works.

This in not really true. Because with higher mix settings (in series) there is still an increase in volume with the delay block. See the discussion in the 'new delay mix law' topic.
I still have problems finding the right mix settings both with delay in series and parallel. Especially hard to keep the same volume when attaching the mix to an expression pedal.

Thanks for the video!!
I can't seem to find the "new delay mix law" topic. Can you post a link to it?

Back
Top Bottom