Tuning stability issues

Hey Sixstring,

i only skimmed over the thread but had a lot of tuning issues with my Ibanez Jem and feel your pain. It was exhausting to try and get it to work properly with an edge trem and locking nut. All this to say that in my case it was the a trem spring causing the issue. The loop on the low end spring was starting to open up and it was the source of all the heartache. Also some of the trem spring lengths may be different (some shorter than others). Just a quick spring swap and it seemed to take care of the issue for me

Even if it's not the issue it's worth the investigation just to cross it off the list : )

The metal part with the 2 points that installs in the front part of the cavity is installed in a preset depth. The trem butts up to these 2 points and is affixed via the springs tension. This preset depth allows the trem to sit just above the guitar top to look flush but allows the needed trem travel up or down.

Adjustment of the individual string saddles fine tunes the overall string action. Neck angle may need adjustment for further refinements.

Hey Sixstring,

i only skimmed over the thread but had a lot of tuning issues with my Ibanez Jem and feel your pain. It was exhausting to try and get it to work properly with an edge trem and locking nut. All this to say that in my case it was the a trem spring causing the issue. The loop on the low end spring was starting to open up and it was the source of all the heartache. Also some of the trem spring lengths may be different (some shorter than others). Just a quick spring swap and it seemed to take care of the issue for me

Even if it's not the issue it's worth the investigation just to cross it off the list : )

Thanks for the heads up I will give it a look see ;).

The metal part with the 2 points that installs in the front part of the cavity is installed in a preset depth. The trem butts up to these 2 points and is affixed via the springs tension. This preset depth allows the trem to sit just above the guitar top to look flush but allows the needed trem travel up or down.

Adjustment of the individual string saddles fine tunes the overall string action. Neck angle may need adjustment for further refinements.

Wow so you really have to pay close attention to the neck angle in relation to the bridge.

I have a guitar with a Wilkinson that makes the third string go sharp every time I use it. I cannot figure out why, after may years. I have locking tuners and a well-cut and lubricated nut. I think the problem might be where the ball end sits in the tremolo block. I always intended to try Fender Silver Bullet strings as a last resort. Never got around to doing it. I simply don't play the guitar anymore.

Thanks for the heads up I will give it a look see ;).

Wow so you really have to pay close attention to the neck angle in relation to the bridge.

I did not need to do anything with my Strat after the install. However if the action was too high and the trem saddles were set to their lowest travel, then shimming the neck heel pocket comes into play.

Remember the 70's Stratocaster and Teles with the Triangular neck heel plate? They only had 3 screws. Those suckers have a small hole slot that allows you to adjust the neck angle.

Not sure if this option is still offered on their later issues or any recent ones.

Last edited:
I have a guitar with a Wilkinson that makes the third string go sharp every time I use it. I cannot figure out why, after may years. I have locking tuners and a well-cut and lubricated nut. I think the problem might be where the ball end sits in the tremolo block. I always intended to try Fender Silver Bullet strings as a last resort. Never got around to doing it. I simply don't play the guitar anymore.

Was it a Carvin? I also wondered if the ball end was moving around in the Wilkinson Trem block. Not sure how you would find out if this is happening. I remember the Fender Super built stings I think I might have used them once but that was years ago on an old Charvel I used to own.

Back
Top Bottom