Tuning 1/2 step down without using pitch shift..?

NyteOwl

I've searched for this and can't seem to find an answer, so forgive a newbie who may be overlooking something.

I'm doing a charity benefit next week, and playing a set each with two different bands. Band A is in standard tuning, so no problem there, but Band B does everything a half-step down.

I'd prefer not to use pitch shift, so is there a quick and easy way to config the tuner for 1/2 step down?

I've searched for this and can't seem to find an answer, so forgive a newbie who may be overlooking something.

I'm doing a charity benefit next week, and playing a set each with two different bands. Band A is in standard tuning, so no problem there, but Band B does everything a half-step down.

I'd prefer not to use pitch shift, so is there a quick and easy way to config the tuner for 1/2 step down?

The tuner is chromatic so just tune your guitar to
Eb,Ab,Db,Gb,Bb,Eb

I'm confused... Do you want to just use the tuner in order to tune 1/2 step down, or you want to change your pitch without retuning your guitar?
Cause if you just want to use the tuner to retune your guitar to 1/2 step down, as jacajunkie said, you can just use it as it is. It's chromatic so you don't have to do anything really...

Thanks...I'm just used to tuners that you can set to 1/2 step down yet the display still reads E, B, G, etc., so was wondering if that option was possible on the Axe.

Not a quick and easy fix, but could the above be accomplished by adjusting the tuner's Offsets parameters for each string to -100 cents?

Ah, so you only want to retune your guitar 1/2 step down. The tuner will let you know which string you are adjusting and if you are in tune. (it will display each note as javajunkie wrote, so you just need to tune according to that). You don't have to adjust anything.

my peterson stroborack has the ability to drop it to where it is 1/2 down but still shows E A D G B E. Would be nice for the axe, so would buzzy feiten offsets :)

Saturday night my band sucked it up and capo'd UP a half step for 3 AC/DC songs in order to have a Bag Pipe player join us on stage. That was a tough one for me to sing. But I made it through. LOL

Just too damn curious (sorry for hi-jacking thread here).

which 3 AC/DC songs then?

its a long way to the top (i guess)... and then?

You just tune, and the Axe FX tuner will show Eb or E for example you don't need to do anything. I do this all the time as I have one guitar I keep tuned to Eb.

But if I use a Boss Tuner, I have to select 1/2 step down. No need to do this on the Axe FX.

Yeah - just use the chromatic tuner. I tune down a 1/2 step and it's not difficult at all to use the tuner. You're just looking for Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, Eb, that's all.

This is probably better anyway, as you might forget which tuning it's calibrated for if you could change it, and wind up being a 1/2 off from the rest of the band! This way, you're sure what you're doing.

I believe it uses flats not sharps (Gb not F#, for example) - not sure if this is configurable, or if you have a preference.

Of course, the notes are enharmonically equivalent, but since we're not in a "key", either one is correct and it's probably easier to see Eb than D# anyway.

I think what he is looking for is a setting that tells the tuner to tell you you have reached the proper tuning for that string. The way it works now is you need to know what the tuning for each string should be and work towards it. I have the same issue when going for C drop tuning. I have to look at my cheat sheet to know what each string should be. The Axe will just identify when you are close to each note but not necessarily tell you that is not the proper note for that string like other tuners may.

I understand all about using a chromatic tuner, and there isn't anything to "get" because it's just a personal preference.

I am not looking for anything special or out of the ordinary; I just want to tune my guitar down a half-step, and when doing so see an E displayed when I'm tuning the 1st or 6th strings, without having to look for a little flat sign. Every single tuner I've owned over the last 10 years was capable of doing that, and I find it very convenient when working in a band that tunes down a half-step for everything. I was just asking if the Axe offered a similar feature.

Just too damn curious (sorry for hi-jacking thread here).

which 3 AC/DC songs then?

its a long way to the top (i guess)... and then?

Sorry also for high jacking the thread.
But, long way to the top, shook me all night long and, whole lotta Rosie.
He only played pipes on the first two but we play all three as a medley so it would sound weird if we all of a sudden pulled the capos and dropped a half step in between tunes.

So you want a tuner that displays E when it's actually Eb... ?

Seems more logical to me to have the tuner display the string number (1-6), in such a case.

Back
Top Bottom