Tuning 1/2 step down without using pitch shift..?

Based on my knowledge of Equal Temperment / 12-TET scale / sound / music theory /etc

I'd strongly recommend keeping it in A=440 and tune it chromatically - and not change the relative standard pitch around to transpose

Since you don't want to use the pitch shift I'd recommend finding a guitar that has tuning machines that allow you to adjust the tuning of the guitar. All my guitars have them they're quite nice.

Jeries said:
Since you don't want to use the pitch shift I'd recommend finding a guitar that has tuning machines that allow you to adjust the tuning of the guitar. All my guitars have them they're quite nice.
Gee, thanks for the advice. I've always been under the impression that, when a guitar goes out of tune, one should just throw it away and buy a new one.

my peterson stroborack has the ability to drop it to where it is 1/2 down but still shows E A D G B E. Would be nice for the axe, so would buzzy feiten offsets :)
Aren't the BF offsets documented? If so, you can tweak the AxeFx tuner to take them into account. I don't have any BF-equipped guitars but I did set my AxeFx up to use the Peterson sweetened offsets.

Based on my knowledge of Equal Temperment / 12-TET scale / sound / music theory /etc

I'd strongly recommend keeping it in A=440 and tune it chromatically - and not change the relative standard pitch around to transpose

I'm curious, what knowledge of equal temperament would you be referring to? If it was pure temperament or even well temperament I might be inclined to think you knew what you were talking about.

I totally get what the request is, and it makes sense. Unfortunately, I don't think that possible with the Axe.

I'm curious, what knowledge of equal temperament would you be referring to? If it was pure temperament or even well temperament I might be inclined to think you knew what you were talking about.

Use whatever system you want- but if you plan to play the instrument with other people or other instruments- I'd look into equal...

A friend of mine is quite the expert on this- I can find a copy of his 300 page masters thesis on the concept of A440 and equal temperament if you want

It's kinda funny as this thread wasn't a request at all, just a question asking if the function already existed!

I understand all about using a chromatic tuner, and there isn't anything to "get" because it's just a personal preference.

I am not looking for anything special or out of the ordinary; I just want to tune my guitar down a half-step, and when doing so see an E displayed when I'm tuning the 1st or 6th strings, without having to look for a little flat sign. Every single tuner I've owned over the last 10 years was capable of doing that, and I find it very convenient when working in a band that tunes down a half-step for everything. I was just asking if the Axe offered a similar feature.

+1. My Korg DTR-1000 and DTR-2000 tuners both have a "Flat" button, which I do use and prefer. It doesn't store the flat setting between power-ons, so there is minimal risk of running into the scenario of tuning to the wrong pitch (although now that both of my bands are going to half-step down tuning, this would be a useful optional setting). Sure, I can get by fine with tuning to "Eb", "Ab", etc; but if I had my preference I'd like see (and would use) a "Flat" setting similar to that of my Korgs'.

A friend of mine is quite the expert on this- I can find a copy of his 300 page masters thesis on the concept of A440 and equal temperament if you want

So you don't actually have any knowledge to base this on but you have a friend who does. Thank you for clarifying.

i know plenty about the subject - and studied theory for 4 yrs at 2 universities
In one of the classes I read the thesis and studied it... so i would say that gives me knowledge in the subject

but who cares tune your guitar to A=666 i don't care

i know plenty about the subject - and studied theory for 4 yrs at 2 universities
In one of the classes I read the thesis and studied it... so i would say that gives me knowledge in the subject

but who cares tune your guitar to A=666 i don't care

Still, the option would only change the note name that appears at the tuner screen. I agree with Goldtop; equal temperament isn't an issue here and it's not clear why you mentioned it.

Isn't this getting kind of pointless, the Axe has a chromatic tuner so will show the note as it is.

If the other option is preferred use another tuner and post a thread in the wish list for this as an alternate option in the Axe FX.

I have both types of tuners and prefer chromatic, but again each to his own.

Seriously? 3 pages on this? Really?
Just learn what notes are a half step down from regular tuning, it's not really THAT difficult.

54 comments already (well 55 now!). Must be a slow week on the forums.....

The only time it would be useful if you are tuning really low and just can't remember what the note names in that tuning are. Then again you should just learn that.

It became pointless very early on and I'm rather surprised at how merely wondering if a particular functionality was available could be responsible for this much commentary, most of which doesn't even apply to the original question.

That is sad.

Pages of threads telling you why your approach is wrong.

I'm with you on this one.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom