Tuner's... Do you use the FM9 or are you still gravitating to your dedicated unit?

In my studio I have a Peterson Stroborack near the Axe-Fx III but I don't use it anymore, just love to see it there (sometimes I power it up too just to see its blue lights 🤣 )
Yea, I have a stroborack in my shop that I use for bench work. One day, I was messing around with my garbage acoustic (which doesn't have a pickup), and I notice the darn Stroborack is reading it- I've had that thing for ages, but had no idea it had a microphone in it. Go figure!

I have a strobostomp hd on my big axe fx 3 board- it's nice to have the always on tuner function, and I appreciate having it as a mute. I don't bother with my FM9- the tuner works great, and the whole point of that for me is portability.

I just bought a PolyTone clip on tuner for my acoustic, and tried it with an electric guitar for a gig and it worked well. I can use either, so that is the route I am going with for now.

Attachments

• tuner.jpeg
    tuner.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
FM9 tuner turned on, heal down of volume pedal.
I loved the idea of the tuner turning on in the heel down position of my volume pedal. Thought it was brilliant. When I tried it though, it really didn’t work for me. I found I regularly wanted to be able to see what’s on the main screen with my volume down. Couldn’t do that with the tuner popping up automatically. Works fine just having it available on a foot switch for me though. :)

Last edited:
I loved my Korg Strobo-Tuner, but since the Axe III/FM9 I am only using the built in tuners. It works fine.
Reducing unnecessary complexity.

For 440hz or even 432hz, I use my fractal or peterson tuners. However when I feel like I need to get down with some serious lovin', I inhale and tune it up to 528hz!

I myself have embraced the FM9's tuner but I see lots of pic's with people using their dedicated h/w tuners so just wondering on why/general conversation
For me it is a strange behavior of FM3 tuner which makes me look at dedicated tuners. When I pick the string, it shows some pitch, and than it GOES DOWN. Like once I picked the string, it shows G, and then it goes to the next bar on the left. So I always left questioning if my pitch is correct.
I never have/had this issue with any other tuner. Not sure if this is a bug, or it's how actually the string behaves, but I don't trust FM3's tuner. I never know at which moment it shows actual pitch of the string!

For me it is a strange behavior of FM3 tuner which makes me look at dedicated tuners. When I pick the string, it shows some pitch, and than it GOES DOWN. Like once I picked the string, it shows G, and then it goes to the next bar on the left. So I always left questioning if my pitch is correct.
I never have/had this issue with any other tuner. Not sure if this is a bug, or it's how actually the string behaves, but I don't trust FM3's tuner. I never know at which moment it shows actual pitch of the string!
In my experience, the initial attack is often a bit sharp of the rest of the note, on any tuner. It's a physical thing, not the tuner.

I took a tip from Cooper Carter and adjusted the tuner by a few cents on some strings and I have noticed that I seem to have an easier time getting in tune with the FM9's tuner since then. Prior to that, I found it hard to get the wheel/arrows to hold steady

I took a tip from Cooper Carter and adjusted the tuner by a few cents on some strings and I have noticed that I seem to have an easier time getting in tune with the FM9's tuner since then. Prior to that, I found it hard to get the wheel/arrows to hold steady
Sounds interesting. Do you have a link to a video about that?

Whatever anyone thinks about the musicality of "sweetened" tunings, they shouldn't have anything to do with whether the open strings or harmonics we usually tune to show a stable readout on the tuner.

Sounds interesting. Do you have a link to a video about that?
I don't as it was part of one of his courses. I think if you googled sweetened tunings you might find something.
Whatever anyone thinks about the musicality of "sweetened" tunings, they shouldn't have anything to do with whether the open strings or harmonics we usually tune to show a stable readout on the tuner.
I agree; I find it puzzling. Still, I have no other explanation and it wasn't something I had anticipated, so I don't think it was confirmation bias.
It is such a slight change that I also doubt anyone could tell the difference on a blind test; I seriously doubt I could.

I've really been enjoying the TC Polytune (in polytune mode). I've never been more in tune. I admit it was a little frustrating to really learn how to use it - but I can't imagine going back.

But I catch myself checking against the little tuner on the FM9 screen pretty frequently as well, so I just know that sooner or later I'll get sick of carrying the extra TC pedal, lol.

Back
Top Bottom