Tuner's... Do you use the FM9 or are you still gravitating to your dedicated unit?

I still use Polytune clip as it's been a long-standing habit, but using the FM9 tuner more and more. I like the FM9 tuner a LOT more than the AXE2 tuner. Part of it is just developing the ability to hit the tuner switch in the right mode as a reflex.

Built in tuner for IN1. Crappy snark for IN2
When I use the acoustic
...that needs tuned the most.
I should rethink that issue

Don’t let it bug you. The Fractal tuner is extremely accurate and hitting the exact pitch to stop the display is really hard. Slow the display’s movement to a slight roll and you are good.

Cheaper tuners will lock on more quickly because they don’t have the frequency resolution that the modeler requires.

Think of it this way … to model the guitar sound, the ADC conversion has to be extremely good otherwise the pitch will be off in the modeler all the way down the line. For instance, the pitch block would immediately sound terribly off when raising the pitch of a single string by an octave. Imagine what a chord would do.
I thought the FM9 tuner was sensing at the input, and should not be effected by delays or pitch fx etc.

Last edited:
I thought the FM9 tuner was sensing at the input, and should not be effected by delays or pitch fx etc.
It does sense at the input. Delays and Pitch blocks are downstream and have no effect in tuning unless the sound is being output and the strings or guitar’s body are reacting.

A Pitch block, requires accurate A to D conversion ahead of it. “Garbage in, garbage out” as we say in programming.

Last edited:
Using just the FM9 tuner.

The only things I want attached to my FM9 are my guitar, FRFR monitor, and an expression pedal. Keeping it simple as possible.

Last edited:
Still not loving Fractal's tuner display/behavior. Even with my newly intonated guitars. I mean, I get in tune, but it isn't as stage friendly to me as almost any that I have used.

I just added a Peterson HD strobe stomp to my new board! I had to fill the open hole with something so I started with that. I like having it on all the time for that quick glance!

@Rage there is a slight difference between the two, when the peterson is dead on the FAS tuner shows slightly flat. Not sure what's going on I do need to make sure the Peterson is set correctly as I did buy it as a demo unit from SW.

Another interesting option with the FM9 tuner is that you can tweak the pitch for each note (+/- cents) to sweeten the tuning of guitars that have problem strings that need compensation.

I'm super happy with the FM9 tuner, and much happier with it than I was with the AXEII tuner. I'm using it constantly now.

Back
Top Bottom