Tuner issues - tuners disagree from each other

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me as well. That would've been fine. But it wasn't. I remember checking it after and was shocked at how off it was. Something like more than 15 cents off. Some might not even notice but it killed that solo mojo dead in its tracks for me. :oops:
That's what I mean though. If your intonation is right but the tuner is off by 6 cents, close enough carry on playing. If the intonation has really gone our far enough to seriously notice, the tuner will still show that even if it's off by 6 cents.

That's what I mean though. If your intonation is right but the tuner is off by 6 cents, close enough carry on playing. If the intonation has really gone our far enough to seriously notice, the tuner will still show that even if it's off by 6 cents.
That makes sense (pun intended). TBH though, I wouldn't use a tuner that is off by 6 cents. Did you mean 0.6 cents?

the crystal oscillator
OMG, it's got a crystal in it?! Your Spirit Guides must be smiling.

But I wanna know:
  1. Does it oscillate at the pure Schumman Resonance, the Earth's Heartbeat, or a pure octave thereof?
  2. What about the Solfegio frequencies?
  3. How about C(256=2^8) / A(432), which is way, way, way better than A(440)?
From the last link:
C=256 has a uniquely defined astronomical value, as a Keplerian interval in the solar system. The period of one cycle of C=256 (1/256 of a second) can be constructed as follows. Take the period of one rotation of the Earth. Divide this period by 24 (=2×3×4), to get one hour. Divide this by 60 (=3×4×5) to get a minute, and again by 60 to obtain one second. Finally, divide that second by 256 (=2×2×2×2×2×2×2×2). These divisions are all Keplerian divisions derived by circular action alone. It is easy to verify, by following through the indicated series of divisions, that the rotation of the Earth is a "G," twenty-four octaves lower than C=256. Similarly, C=256 has a determinate value in terms of the complete system of planetary motions.

By contrast, A=440 is a purely arbitrary value, having no physical-geometrical justification. A=440 is an insane tuning in the rigorous sense that it bears no coherent relationship with the universe, with reality.
Can you believe that 256/2^8 = 1 ???
Or that the Earth's rotation is a perfect G note compared to C(256) ???

Similarly, C=256 has a determinate value in terms of the complete system of planetary motions.
Wow!

I want that kind of crystal in the IV.

That makes sense (pun intended). TBH though, I wouldn't use a tuner that is off by 6 cents. Did you mean 0.6 cents?
The above complaint was that notes above the 10th fret on the high E string could be off by as much as 6 cents so if you're intonating your High E string live on stage then it could be off by 6 whole cents. I thought that's what the whole live intonation discussion was founded on.

The open strings were all in the partial cents range so for tuning it's more than sufficient.

The above complaint was that notes above the 10th fret on the high E string could be off by as much as 6 cents so if you're intonating your High E string live on stage then it could be off by 6 whole cents. I thought that's what the whole live intonation discussion was founded on.

The open strings were all in the partial cents range so for tuning it's more than sufficient.
0.6 cents, not 6 cents.

Furthermore, the strobe tuner is accurate to 0.0001 cents for any note.

0.6 cents, not 6 cents.

Furthermore, the strobe tuner is accurate to 0.0001 cents for any note.

I said "around D (10th fret high E) and above". The C and Db an octave above the ones you listed are the ones with less accurate readings. My keyboard works fine as a tone generator but here's what the tuner displays while looping a synth block's output back to an input.

F (13th fret high E note): 2.7 cents
F# 0.8 cents
G 4.9 cents
G# -1.3 cents
A -0.4 cents
Bb -5.1 cents
B 1.6 cents
C 8.2 cents
C# -0.6 cents but wrong octave/freq. indicated (554.2 Hz) and it acts funny just above this, jumping to the correct octave when actual pitch reaches +9 cents, but tuner displays -4.4 cents then
D 3.4 cents
D# -1.7 cents
E (24th fret) 2.4 cents but wrong octave

They reported up to 8.2 cents on notes above 12th on the high E which is where I thought this whole intonation discussion got started.

Which as noted, are still accurate enough to quickly check if you intonation is close or way off live on stage in fabricated examples where you need to, but you can use another tuner or the strobe mode if you are doing a proper intonation job.

That was also with the synth block tones and not a real guitar string which I assume the normal tuner was optimized around the harmonnics and tonality of a guitar string anyway.

They reported up to 8.2 cents on notes above 12th on the high E which is where I thought this whole intonation discussion got started.

Which as noted, are still accurate enough to quickly check if you intonation is close or way off live on stage in fabricated examples where you need to, but you can use another tuner or the strobe mode if you are doing a proper intonation job.

That was also with the synth block tones and not a real guitar string which I assume the normal tuner was optimized around the harmonnics and tonality of a guitar string anyway.
Intonation is checked at the 12th fret. The error at the 12th fret is 0.6 cents. And that's only on the high E string.

The strobe tuner is accurate to 0.0001 cents for any note.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom