Tuner issues - tuners disagree from each other

Status
Not open for further replies.
I set up a note generator on my Helix to send an E1 sine wave to the input of my Axe III. The tuner shows it is in tune within 0.3 cent. Other notes are in tune within 0.1 cent. Assuming the note generator on the Helix is working correctly and in tune, then the Axe III tuner appears pretty accurate. Certainly not out by 10 cent.

Reading a pure sine wave is a slightly different game than reading all the harmonic content of a complex instrument tone too. The two tuners in the FXIII are already known to disagree because one focuses more on the fundamental.

I watched a demo about some kind of guitar maintenance (can't remember what), but I do remember the guy was using a rack mount tuner where when he hit a note, the indicator light would go straight to wherever the string was tuned at with no back and forth wobble at all. What type of tuner can do this?

Hey everybody,

in my band we're currently suffering from tuning deviations.
I started to investigate what happens and right now I'm kinda stuck cause I have no idea what's going on.

I compared single strings (of same instrument) tuned according to
  • My setup (Axe Fx III mk2)
  • Other guitarists setup (FM3)
  • a TC Polytune 3

I verified that for both axe tuners, no micro offsets are enabled and both are calibrated to 440 Hz.
I am confident my picking is causing max ~2 cents of deviation.
(We use drop D tuning so I'll name tone/string "low D" below)

I tune the low D according to the FM3 until it reports to be within +-1cent range.
Then I plug into my own setup and the III reports that low D is tuned around 10 cents too low.
I tune according to my III then.
Both FM3 and the Polytune will now report it is tuned too high ~10 cents.
Comparison by ear, to a guitar tuned according to the FM3, is clearly dissonant.
FM3 and Polytune seem to tune identically, so I think it is my III which is off.
:flushed:⁉️

what could cause such behavior? Did anyone experience similar tuning problems?
On higher strings, the problem exists too, but deviation seems a bit less extreme (but still too much), in range of 5-8 cents.
As a temporary fix, I offset my tuner to 438.5 Hz and the overall tonality between instruments improved.
But that's no true solution.
I'm happy for any ideas, assumptions or speculation of what could cause this.
my fm3's is tuner it out too. my other tuner and reaper tuner agree but not the fm3's. when the guitar is in tune, the fm3's tuner shows the values as follow:
e +0.4
h +0.6
g -2.1
d -2.0
a -1.2
e -3.0
b -10

it's not a bit out, it's all over the spot.
any thoughts?

any ideas?

@jbjhjm
Just in case tuner variances are still an issue, as you verified there were no tuner offsets active, and you had no digital connections. You also mentioned you had no digital connections. I’d tune my guitar with the AF3 tuner, then turn the AF3 off and unplug the USB from the back panel (assuming you have one plugged in). This should remove outboard influence.

With the USB remaining unplugged, reboot your AF3, and then recheck the same guitar’s tuning. If your guitar’s tuning is now different, you may have had a DAW running on your computer that was not set to 48kHz clock rate. (See snippet from Fractal Wiki below) I know the default clock rate for my DAW (Logic Pro on Mac) is 44.1kHz, which has caught me a number of times. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_4418.jpeg
    IMG_4418.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 18
I compared my Peterson set to Equ with my axe III tuner and once the note settles they are within .6 .7 of a cent of each other. I read an article on perfect pitch last year and it said most can’t hear an out of tune note until it is 5 to 10 cents out.

I compared my Peterson set to Equ with my axe III tuner and once the note settles they are within .6 .7 of a cent of each other. I read an article on perfect pitch last year and it said most can’t hear an out of tune note until it is 5 to 10 cents out.
I'm curious if that's a voice in a larger ensemble like an orchestra or choir, or a note in a chord. I also wonder if that's most people or most musicians. When you layer on distortion there's a big difference between a power chord that's exactly right as just slightly off.

@m3s-m3r can you try switching to the strobe tuner mode on the FM3 and see if that agrees better?

I'm curious if that's a voice in a larger ensemble like an orchestra or choir, or a note in a chord. I also wonder if that's most people or most musicians. When you layer on distortion there's a big difference between a power chord that's exactly right as just slightly off.

@m3s-m3r can you try switching to the strobe tuner mode on the FM3 and see if that agrees better?

I tried to find the article but could not. Here is something similar stating musicians referenced +10 to -15 as being out of tune.

https://libres.uncg.edu/ir/uncg/f/R_MacLeod_Tune_2015.pdf

I 've worked it out. a bit of an error on my behalf. when the reaper tuner is set up to receive signal from input 3, left DI, it matches my FM3's very closely. when the reaper tuner is set up to receive the signal from input 1, high gain FAS modern than it's all over the spot. I have now re-assigned the inputs in my daw's template and both tuners work as they should.thanks

FWIW, I'm on the FM9 but noticed this the other day while tuning up with a Boss TU-12. My tuning was quite a bit flat on the FM9. I honestly thought it was operator error at the time. But now that I'm reading through this thread, I need to verify later. I'll check it with my TU-2 and TU-3 also.
I had the worst luck with a TU-12. I bought a blue and grey one brand new in the 90's. Spent big bucks on it at GC thinking it had to be super accurate. Turns out it would always tune flat. I could always hear that I sounded off even though I was a newbie but never figured to replace the tuner. I swear that that was the reason I stopped playing guitar for years. :disappointed:

The TU-12 model can be calibrated, which obviously mine wasn't when I bought it. Here's how to do it:

To this day I still have PTSD about being out of tune and cross check every tuner. I wish I could've Googled the solution so easily back then.

I had the worst luck with a TU-12. I bought a blue and grey one brand new in the 90's. Spent big bucks on it at GC thinking it had to be super accurate. Turns out it would always tune flat. I could always hear that I sounded off even though I was a newbie but never figured to replace the tuner. I swear that that was the reason I stopped playing guitar for years. :disappointed:

The TU-12 model can be calibrated, which obviously mine wasn't when I bought it. Here's how to do it:

To this day I still have PTSD about being out of tune and cross check every tuner. I wish I could've Googled the solution so easily back then.

Thanks, I'll give this a look tomorrow.

Not sure what the deal is, but nothing tunes as well as my old 70s Peterson mechanical strobe tuner. I can tune with the Peterson and it's dead nuts in tune. Tune with other tuners (including the Axe) and it's not nearly as in tune.

Not sure what the deal is, but nothing tunes as well as my old 70s Peterson mechanical strobe tuner. I can tune with the Peterson and it's dead nuts in tune. Tune with other tuners (including the Axe) and it's not nearly as in tune.
Compared to what?

Curious how you're determining how in-tune it is without relying on another tuner...

At least over here my Turbo Tuner ST-300 and Axe-Fx 3 strobe tuner behave pretty much the same, the Turbo is maybe a bit faster responding but that's all.

No idea what could cause that big a discrepancy between Polytune/FM3 vs Axe-Fx 3. Are all of these setups just guitar -> device doing tuning or is there something else in between? Does turning the guitar tone pot down to zero and using the neck pickup improve the situation in any way?
Laxu, regarding the ST-300. I assume the display on yours is stable, thus you continue using it, correct? I bought one not too long ago, and ended up sending it back. With 5 different guitars/pickups, I could not get a stable display on the ST-300, which drove me nuts. No such problem with my Peterson HD or my FM9.

Compared to what?

Curious how you're determining how in-tune it is without relying on another tuner...
Yeah, I should have been a little more detailed. The simple answer is, because it sounds more in tune.
They measure differently. What the Peterson says, is in tune, is not in tune on the axe. I’m talking about anywhere from .5- 3ish cents one way or the other. I have no idea why.

I think if you took a poll on whether to improve the tuner or make the amps/FX on the AF even more exactly accurate, everyone would agree that the tuner can take a back seat. It's mostly serviceable in the majority of cases.

I know it's not perfect on the Axe, I'm even disappointed with it like I would be with a weak A/C on a Lamborghini, but I'm not at all disappointed in Cliff's decision to prioritize his time and brain on the real reason we spent the big bucks on Fractal products.
I'd say the same about the FC shortcomings and I've bellyached about those for ages.

I wasn’t really complaining about anything. I have the Peterson :). That being said, Cliff has said before that there’s nothing wrong with it and it works properly. So 🤷‍♂️

I wasn’t really complaining about anything. I have the Peterson :). That being said, Cliff has said before that there’s nothing wrong with it and it works properly. So 🤷‍♂️
I used to feel the same way about Peterson, but couldn't afford one. While I've had a Boss TU-12 or 2 that responds well to a 440 Hz tuning fork, I always mistrusted other notes to a small extent. I haven't fully rebuilt trust in the Axe FX III tuner since the days when the fundamental and octave harmonic appeared out of tune with one another on the display, but it definitely seems OK nowadays.

My trusted tuner for a long while has been an old Sonic Research ST-200. Works on the same principle as the original Peterson, and locks onto the fundamental very quickly. Never had any issues between guitar and pickups. I generally trust what it tells me, but use a TU-12 to double check, and have a tuning fork just in case.

Axe FX is definitely improved, but while other have said they'd prefer Cliff works on better sounds, :) , I'd kind of love it if I felt confident to use the Axe FX to set the intonation on a guitar I had just set up. It might be that we are already there. However it's one of those things where I trust my muscial ear to some extent, but trustworthy electromechanical or electronic verification is invaluable.

A trustworthy tuner was fundamental to every pedalboard I ever built. I probably should have kept one of the Arion HU-8500 I had over the years. They were good.

I don't think similar standards from Fractal should be considered a huge "ask". While I'm sure it's all sorted now, my unfortunate tendency is to think "yeah, but no" and fall back towards things that have only ever let me down in a way I understand. There was a time when I was considering mounting an ST-200 on the board with my FC-12 and expression pedals. I think we are past that now, the tuner seems OK.

Liam

Last edited:
Reactions: BTU
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom