Trying to recreate this tone - help appreciated :-)

Daribo

I've been trying to nail this 'Marshally' sound for ages, but just don't seem to be able to quite nail it. There's just something about the 'grainy' quality of the decay when a chord is hit that I'm not able to get so much. I have noticed a similar quality on the ACDC Live album (1992).

Don't pay any attention to the guitars etc in the video - Per didn't even play the lead guitar and it mist certainly wasn't with a Ric. From the little footage I've been able to find of the recording sessions, the session guy (Jonas), was playing a Tele through some kind of Marshall head. This tone is all over the Joyride Album.

Any suggestions as to what amp/cab to use?

I've got close with Freidman HB and the beatlemix 4x12.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCorJG9mubk

Much appreciated!

I would try a basic 800 with Marshall greenback cab or 2x12 Brit blended with single EV. or 4x12 80's EV Cali mix

German Axe-Fest 4x12 with GB's has a fantastic tone that really suits that hard rock Marshally grinding tone. Just comes across sounding cranked up loud even at bedroom volumes. Between it and the HBE model its simply amazing to get that classic Marshall roar at any volume

Totally worth $12

Thanks for your suggestions so far. I've not had much luck with the 800 - seem to keep coming back to Steve Stevens Rebel Yell territory with that. It's that grainy quality to the decay that is so illusive to me.
Ideally would like to achieve this without the need for 3rd party I.R's - there's so many in the Axe already, it's bewildering!

That sounds like a JMP 2204.

The JCM800 is supposed to be the succesor of the JMP master volume amps, but they sound quite different.
But you should be able to work around the 800 2204 model since it's the closest thing to a JMP2204

Ever since G3, that growl is obtainable with just about any of the Plexi-style amps. Keep your gain moderate; that's mostly power amp gain you're hearing. Too much preamp gain will file down the grit.

Sounds like a humbucker.

Back
Top Bottom