Trying to recreate EQ block that was in the old "String Like" patch.

MKeditor

Experienced
The Ultra had a patch called string like. I used that as my starting place for my cello patch. I can't get the EQ block to swell the notes like it did even with doing my best to match the settings. It works off an envelope that can be found on tab #2 on the EQ block. Thoughts or insight?

I've been experimenting with running a second instance of Axe-Edit configured for the Ultra to load old patches for reference without being connected to the Axe.

If you load the old Ultra patch into the second Axe-Edit it is easily possible but a bit tedious to manually recreate the settings in the one connected to the II.

Rumor has it that there will be conversion routines in a future Axe-Edit but I'll avoid speculating on the time frame for that to happen.

The Ultra had a patch called string like. I used that as my starting place for my cello patch. I can't get the EQ block to swell the notes like it did even with doing my best to match the settings. It works off an envelope that can be found on tab #2 on the EQ block. Thoughts or insight?

the only automatable parameters in the Ultra's PEQ are Balance and Level.

???

For swelling notes try this:

VOL block, Log30a Taper [EDIT: make that Log15a], attach volume to Envelope.
Modifier settings: default.
Envelope: threshold -60, attack 913, release 65, gain 3.27.

The presets Auto Swell Pongverb and Ganymede also feature swelling notes.

(Beavis: "Hey Butthead, he said swelling, huh huhhuhhuh")

Last edited:
I would use a vol block with one of the log tapers as well. You will want to play with the attack and release to get the feel you are looking for. Depending if you are playing&nbsp;staccato or legato you will have to set them differently. Smaller attack, faster swell. Lower attack slower swell. If the cello patch did use the level of a GEQ to do the swell, it was probably trying to emulate a log taper anyway. A bit of the hard way to do it. <br>&nbsp;

I am open to trying a different method...but the patch I use works great. Here is the patch.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Cello MK.syx
    2 KB · Views: 19
I can load the preset in Ultra mode. The method is the same as using a Vol block. Envelope attached to a Level parameter for a 'slow gear' effect.

I can load the preset in Ultra mode. The method is the same as using a Vol block. Envelope attached to a Level parameter for a 'slow gear' effect.

What does the curve look like. It still won't load here, tried on 2 computers. I believe you both use mac. I'll try on a mac

My guess is, barring some strange curve in the modifier section, is that you just need to adjust the threshold, attack, release, and gain.

Last edited:
Yeah Lion here too. Works on both my macs, with either Preset folder or Import.
As long as Axe-Edit is not crashing when selecting the folder ....

Curve: (click to enlarge)

View attachment 5905

got it to load on lion with a restart.
It has a funky curve.
I would just use volume block with a log A or log B taper.

Mike, what does your envelope settings look like?

Here is what I adjusted it to be based on the Ultra patch.

Attachments

• IMG_20110812_123410.jpg
    IMG_20110812_123410.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom