Trying to find out how The Contortionist gets their shimmery cleans.

Check the intro guitar on this.

If you can't see the video (It says I can't post links because I don't have 10 posts yet). It's the Controtionist's "The Center"

These cleans sound shimmery, glistening, sparkly, whatever you want to call it. I've been trying to emulate it with my Axe FX 2. I think they're playing through single coil? But I have both single (Fender Strat) and humbucker guitars and still am having a hard time figuring it out. Any help would be great!

Last edited:
There’s some chorus going on there. Plenty of Reverb. And a noticeable amount of distortion.

they're definitely using humbuckers in some form of split or with the volume backed off with a fair amount overdrive. i remember seeing too at one point that there's reverse delay happening and they used a mark v for the majority of the tones on the record

Although humbuckings can get a clear, ringing sound, the guitar player probably used single coils. I agree that it sounds like lots of chorus and reverb, but it sounds like the bridge pickup to me, not the neck pickup. A lot of the tone in recordings is produced in the studio, and good sounding recordings owe a lot to a good recording engineer.

just went on youtube and checked out a gear gods rig rundown. both guys are ibanez users, so i imagine they're using the split positions for clean. mesa rectifiers with lots of delay and reverb. also some parts are harmonised, which gives them a very shimmery quality. as others have said, the sounds read as clean, but actually there's a quite a bit of grit on them.

Back
Top Bottom