Trouble with 5.07 update and user cabs

Stadanko

Inspired
Hi all,

just checking to see if anyone noticed a change in the gain of there homemade cab IRs. Mine got way quiet after the update by several db. The stock cab IRs are still normal loudness of course.

I can redo them as they are not that hard to reproduce.

I've also noticed strangeness in the naming scheme in the axe-fx vs axe edit. It seems that you cannot edit the axe name for the user cab IR file but can change the axe edit name. This may not be a bug. It is confusing though.

Before I went and gave the files axe edit names, they showed up as the names from the unit. Now they show up as the axe edit names in axe edit but only after rebooting the whole system. Again I realize this may be normal, just confusing.

When I saw more than one confusing thing at once like a gain drop and names showing up differently, my brain experienced a cascade cognition failure...:shock

Been there, done that.

Thanks though.

I'm really frustrated now. I need to walk away for a bit. What a bummer. I had this thing sounding so awesome, I'm truly sorry I messed with it. What a sucker:eek:ops

I'm just trying to start from scratch at this point. I just can't seem to get the files erased out of the Axe-fx. I know I probably don't need to, but I'd feel better knowing the memory was clean. The names are all messed up. When I use the delete function in axe-edit to delete axe-fx user cab files it simply doesn't work. The axe-fx internal memory won't clear.

I've learned my lesson. No more jumping on the latest firmware update. I'll just sit back and watch everyone else scramble to figure out what happened like you normally do with other products.

I do appreciate the hard work everyone is doing at Fractal Audio, but maybe things are moving a bit too fast for quality control. Seriously, you guys are on steroids or something:ugeek

Last edited:
Been there, done that.

Thanks though.

I'm really frustrated now. I need to walk away for a bit. What a bummer. I had this thing sounding so awesome, I'm truly sorry I messed with it. What a sucker:eek:ops

I'm just trying to start from scratch at this point. I just can't seem to get the files erased out of the Axe-fx. I know I probably don't need to, but I'd feel better knowing the memory was clean. The names are all messed up. When I use the delete function in axe-edit to delete axe-fx user cab files it simply doesn't work. The axe-fx internal memory won't clear.

I've learned my lesson. No more jumping on the latest firmware update. I'll just sit back and watch everyone else scramble to figure out what happened like you normally do with other products.

I do appreciate the hard work everyone is doing at Fractal Audio, but maybe things are moving a bit too fast for quality control. Seriously, you guys are on steroids or something:ugeek
You need to take a deep breath and relax. IOW - take a chill pill. You were not suckered into anything. The cabs are not corrupt, only the internal names. Your attempts to fix the issue have probably caused yourself more trouble now... try going into AxeManage | Axe-FX | Cabs and resending your User Cabs to the Axe. This should fix the issue.

No Time!!!! Its too late...All out of chill pills..AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH:eek:

update...ok I figured out the name issue and resent nothing to the slots thereby emptying them. I am not successful at resending the cab impulses though. Not sure whats happening there. more later I hope.

Last edited:

I have this same problem with Axe-Manage sometimes not updating properly after I delete user cabs from Axe-Fx. One of the things I do that helps me get back to a clean slate is to delete all the Axe-Fx user cab files that are stored inside the Axe-Edit workspace directory. First, close Axe-Edit. Then in the Axe-Edit workspace directory, go to Axe-Fx\Cabs and delete everything (if you want to save anything, move it somewhere else.) Then start Axe-Edit again, go to Axe-Manage and set your view to Axe-Fx > User Cabs. All the files should read "unknown" because you just deleted them. Now click on File > Get From Axe-Fx > All Cabs. If the Axe-Fx user cabs are truly empty, Axe-Edit will now create new blank user cab files in the workspace directory and you should have blank user cab slots showing in Axe-Manage. This is a convoluted way to get Axe-Edit to show the empty user cab files properly, but it works for me.

The cabs are not corrupt, only the internal names.
When I updated to 5.07 last night the user cabs were indeed corrupted, not just the names. The volume change mentioned in the OP makes it sound like that may be the case here as well.

I was able to resend the user cabs from the cache, and that fixed the problem. Since this has happened before, and I have a lot of user cabs installed, I've been keeping a folder in My Cabs that contains all the cabs that are currently in the AxeFx. Once things settle down that probably won't be needed, but it has saved me a lot of time.

When I updated to 5.07 last night the user cabs were indeed corrupted, not just the names. The volume change mentioned in the OP makes it sound like that may be the case here as well.

I was able to resend the user cabs from the cache, and that fixed the problem. Since this has happened before, and I have a lot of user cabs installed, I've been keeping a folder in My Cabs that contains all the cabs that are currently in the AxeFx. Once things settle down that probably won't be needed, but it has saved me a lot of time.
Yeah, mine were frickin munched as well. I found out when I loaded a preset with a user cab and was welcomed with high pitched crap (or as shotgunn calls it in his video "arse tone"). No cab. No user cabs at all to be exact.

And to me this just reinforces the importance of backing up your system regularly. As new firmware is rolled out and with some of the lofty changes that are coming you can't expect it to be 100% smooth all the time. Well of course you can expect it to be flawless, but being prepared for the worst case scenario is just prudent advice....and I'm the biggest hypocrite in the world for talking about backing stuff up. I'm the worst person I know about not backing stuff up.

In my case 5.07 updated with old axe edit-->then axe edit updated-->no cab or cab title is corupted at all.So I cannot say whats that cause

Roland

The cause is from corruption in the previous firmware and axe-edit. The solution is to reload the cabs. In most instances,you can resend the cabs from the Axe-edit cab nodes.

Tried that and at this point, The files don't seem to work. They load from Axe-edit and show the name, but don't seem to have any sonic properties other than dropping the gain about 20db. I get the exact same response from empty slots so maybe the files are now ghosts of their former selves:lol

I'll recapture, create new files and report those results in a bit...

I definitely hope that user cab file corruptions get to be less in future firmware updates.

Thanks for the info Java.

Tried that and at this point, The files don't seem to work. They load from Axe-edit and show the name, but don't seem to have any sonic properties other than dropping the gain about 20db. I get the exact same response from empty slots so maybe the files are now ghosts of their former selves:lol

I definitely hope that user cab file corruptions get to be less in future firmware updates.

Thanks for the info Java.

Yeah, I would keep a back up of them somewhere safe.

I dd back it up before I updated.....I hadn't mentioned that yet, but am making that clear.

Guys, I'm no stranger to the ass end of computers...built quite a few Windows machines and have a Macbook pro, which actually has schooled me once or twice just sitting their being itself.:lol

Perhaps because I didn't capture until 5.04b and 1.272, my backups were corrupted as well..hmm

Last edited:
You don't have them stored on the computer? What a PITA... You need to develop a healthy level of paranoia when it comes to data stored in the AxeFx.

Make sure you look at the entire preset when troubleshooting; so far in addition to the user cabs being corrupted, I've found that the controls on some blocks were set to minimum values (like -80dB for level); some vol/pan blocks are screwed up; and AxeEdit is not sending vol/pan cabs or settings to the AxeFx. Restoring presets from any of my backups has not made any difference: the backup is screwed up the same way as soon as it is downloaded.

This could be due to some benign problems that have been in the presets for a while that cause the current version of AxeEdit to fail in unexpected ways. Or the presets could be fine but AxeManage is screwing with them when I'm trying to restore; I haven't tried just blasting the presets down using SysEx Librarian. I do know that AxeManage screws with IRs in (apparently) benign ways when downloading them, so it wouldn't shock me if it is trashing some presets.

Last edited:
I dd back it up before I updated.....I hadn't mentioned that yet, but am making that clear.

Guys, I'm no stranger to the ass end of computers...built quite a few Windows machines and have a Macbook pro, which actually has schooled me once or twice just sitting their being itself.:lol

Sorry I meant put a known good copy of the cabs some where outside of axe-edit

ahhh, righto. I'll do that for sure.

They are stored in my documents/fractal audio by default (PC). I'll make another copy this time...

Can someone tell me what :

midi protocol error

wrong asset type for current model config!

means,

Thanks

Last edited:
ahhh, righto. I'll do that for sure.

They are stored in my documents/fractal audio by default (PC). I'll make another copy this time...

Can someone tell me what :

midi protocol error

wrong asset type for current model config!

means,

Thanks
Check the size of the files you are messing with. I had the same issue with someone's preset files a few weeks ago trying to load them as presets (which is what you would do with them), but rather than the typical 6kb or whatever they are they were like 233kb. Needless to say they were not preset files; perhaps banks or something, but I didn't mess with them. Cabs should be aroun 10-11kb in size.

They're all syx files so they have to be kept straight as to what they are supposed to represent and I would think that it's a good thing that AxeEdit rejects files that aren't being used for the right thing.

Hey shasha,

Yeah the files are all from the 5.07 firmware thread.

Guitardojo posted a link for this IR on the firmware thread on page 7.

Engl_XXL_MT103_01_v6.syx

can't get it to work.......hmmmm

I'm getting that message and the file size looks right.

Hey shasha,

Yeah the files are all from the 5.07 firmware thread.

Guitardojo posted a link for this IR on the firmware thread on page 7.

Engl_XXL_MT103_01_v6.syx

can't get it to work.......hmmmm

I'm getting that message and the file size looks right.

That is for an ultra. You need to use axeomatic to convert it to a II format

And for one final question.....Where might I find said axeomatic?

thanks by the way. Every little clue gets me closer to the awesome sound I got from capturing my cabs, and understanding the process of making sure I keep that sound after I capture it.

UPDATE: Never mind, I found it on Ownhammer's web site and it worked,

Thanks again:mrgreen

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom