Tried a JP Majesty for the first time

The looks of it don’t really bother me but then I am a fan of odd shaped guitars as I have had a BC Rich Mockingbird and a Rich Bich.

Ah, but that’s totally different.

Like when I was in Scotland, I went to Highlands (naturally). And while I was there, in the countryside, it occurred to me that they still have those dukes who owned the land and farmers renting it from them - all that feudal nonsense.

And I was, like, dude, these dukes are really retarded! If I were a duke with land in Scotland, I’d really use it! I’d get me a big truck with a huge generator and a huge PA system attached to it and I’d be riding in that truck at night in the mist with a band playing some sick music like funeral doom, and scare the shit out of those peasants (who would be hiding their children and daughters in the cellars) and tourists! Like a real aristocrat, you know. And these guys have no imagination. Meh...

Why am I telling this story? Because BC Rich guitars are weird in a perverse kind of pseudo-evil Dracula Cthulhu way. So they are fun. They are an art form.

The Majesty guitars, on the other hand, simply look stupid. Like someone tried to make something beautiful and sophisticated, but failed because he’s Petrucci.

As my avatar indicates, I have a JP13, and it's been great...zero complaints. I have played a couple of majesty's and I have to say they feel and play great to me. However, the look is something that I just can't seem to bond with...which is ridiculous on my part of course. Not like you can "see" the guitar in your recordings...I imagine the V and Explorer were polarizing as well back in 58. Had Many music man guitars over the years...never been disappointed.

I've been considering a JP but not sure how I feel about the design of the Majesty...just based on specs and pics I may lean towards a JP15 at some point.

I'm a long time JP model user, started years ago with the first JP6.
I had a 15 and the latest is a Majesty.
The basic, all JP's has the best (for me) neck! It’s a perfect fit for my hands and very fun to play.
As for the 15 and the Majesty agronomics, at the beginning I decided to go with the 15 as I'm a more traditional look guitar guy and to be honest, I thought the majesty is simply ugly.
I ended up returning the 15 because of a production problem but mainly as I didn’t like the way it sounded to me compared to the JP6 I had.
It was thin, lack of power, something was wrong and it could be wiring issue but in any case as it had a problem I didn’t want to deal with so I decided to return it.
Then I spent some time playing the majesty and started to like the feel so decided to order one.
All I can say is that I'm lucky that the 15 arrived with a problem as the majesty is a killer guitar.
It takes some time to notice every little thing but eventually you realize what it's all about, its agronomics! This guitar is a killer fit for me, everything is in place! There is zero compromising from my point of view.
The sound of course is great, I find it to be very balanced in a band mix.
I have a few very good guitars but the majesty is my goto.

I can get past the looks but not the sound. I love the feel off all of John's guitars but as much as I love him and Dream Theater the prog rock sound doesn't work so well with a cover band. I love that he puts the piezo in as an option in all his guitars but have yet to have a JP model (I've had 3) that I've bonded with as useable in most situations. Just my .02

To those saying they don't like the looks of the Majesty I must disagree although I had once shared your sentiment. At first I thought it was peculiar, although that could've been because it was a completely new shape. I also didn't like the ernie ball headstocks (4+2), so strange to my uncultured eyes. However, after seeing them in a few places, seeing the finishes they could ship with, seeing them IRL, my mind completely changed. Now I look at them as the pinnacle of guitar beauty and I think they look really really classy. Like somebody could be playing one at a black tie event as part of the live band.

As for the feel, the EBMM JP and Majesty necks are by far the most comfortable necks I've ever felt in my life. You know how when you started playing guitar, everything kind of felt strange, until one day you pick up a guitar and it just feels oh so right? That was how it is with JP guitars and me. So... anyone wanna gift me $2500? No? FINE.

Had a quick play of a Majesty the other day, in a guitar store, not plugged in.

Felt fantastic, the only guitar i've found so far that challenges my Fly deluxe for playability.

But at around five and half thousand AUD....it's gonna be a while...

Here's a question for you Majesty & JP owners who have also played either the EBMM EVH/Axis.

How does the JP/Majesty compare with the EVH/Axis in terms of neck width and thickness?

I love my Axis, but don't jive with baseball bat thick necks.

I used to own a BFR JP (2008 model) and the neck was comfortable but nowhere near as fast as my Axis neck. I prefer gunstock oil /waxed neck on the Axis and also the neck on the JP's are definitely wider. I forget what shape they are relative to the Axis. I have giant hands and though I love the Axis I'm looking for a guitar that is more ergonomic and suited for my hands.

Had a quick play of a Majesty the other day, in a guitar store, not plugged in.

Felt fantastic, the only guitar i've found so far that challenges my Fly deluxe for playability.

But at around five and half thousand AUD....it's gonna be a while...
I feel so lucky that I got my Parker Fly early on, it remains a favorite in the stable (except for the part that jabs me in the sternum when I play it sitting down),,,

Here's a question for you Majesty & JP owners who have also played either the EBMM EVH/Axis.

How does the JP/Majesty compare with the EVH/Axis in terms of neck width and thickness?

I love my Axis, but don't jive with baseball bat thick necks.
Mine is thinner and less wide then many, it is more like an SG...and strangely Just this morning I pulled out my. Majesty that has given me constant intonation and tuning issues that my luthier told me wereweather related (in Miami ?beach ..and today it sounds amazing , perfectly intonated and the piezo is awesome thru a Manley Vox .box. Plugin ...

Yeah I have the Majesty 20th Anniversary, it doesn't stay in tune at all and the electronics make it sound like you're screaming into a cup. Weird ax for real

yeah older thread but just reconfirms to me how good my jp15 continues to be...5 years old and have never had any issue with it...definitely different from my gibsons and fenders but that's the point. EBMM is QA and precision has been spot on...have the teal quilt and i think that color is discontinued so even better...safe weekend to all

I loved my two jp6, and regret their finish, but they were so beaten up by previous owner I can't regret technically buying a jp12 in a store and love it since 2013 approximately.
Confortwise and quality wise it's just paradise.

I have a jp7 which is probably one of the most confortable 7 stringers that exists.

Last october I had a majesty monarchy for my birthday and it felt even better than expected !
You can fret the neck pickup with the index, you feel JP really went stupid in removing wood lol.

Talking about pickups :
Jp6/7 old pickups steve/norton : they have the old dt sound but are a little too mid scooped for me.
Jp12 crunchlab/liquifire : although the liquifire is a little the same as the following neck pickups, over time and after getting the majesty I really dislike more and more the crunchlab, which sounds neutral and cold, like maybe an emg...I could change it !
Majesty monarchy with sonic ecstasy pickups : the bridge is way more middle focused, articulated and the split coil sound is better.

I will not talk about tonewood but I'll just say I hate basswood for being so fragile and it dents for nothing.

The only thing I hate about my majesty is the v1 electronics, I really fear that it breaks...so I can't imagine gigging with just this guitar. Compared to my jp12 that can work without a battery etc...

The 20th anniversary seems to have a batch of badly filed nut and it causes stability issues on a lot

Back
Top Bottom