Tried a JP Majesty for the first time

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
I'm a big fan of Ernie Ball Music Man guitars. When I saw a new local guitar store carrying a JP Majesty I had to put my fantasies to rest. My first thought when I picked it up was: wow this is surprisingly light and that is one big horn. Played really nice, as I expected; plugged into an EVH 5150III. Fretboard felt really great, the action was bang on. Wasn't too crazy about where the pickup selector switch is located for my posture. Man, do i miss Piezo. I've been considering a JP but not sure how I feel about the design of the Majesty...just based on specs and pics I may lean towards a JP15 at some point.

I wondered about the pickups. I used to have a BFR JP6 that was loaded with Crunchlab/Liquifire set. I wasn't crazy about those either, though I liked the liquifire. Nice neck pickup. I swapped them out for Bare Knuckle Rebel Yells. They sounded much better. I had a tech do the swap ....he said it was a bit of a nightmare

The wiring in that guitar is insane. I’ve used 2 for a while now. I absolutely love the guitar. I need some with piezo and used the previous MM JP guitars. The jack on those kept breaking because it’s soldered to a circuit board and just a little downward force would break it off, causing pippin sounds if the cable moved.

EBMM told me I was one of the few who experienced that, but it’s definitely not true.

The Majesty uses a totally different jack which is much more solid, and honestly the main reason I switched. I don’t really like the electric pickups, but have gotten used to them over time. They always sounded too mid-range to me, not warm and smooth like the previous pickups. If I had time, I’d switch to whatever pickups were in the JPs before the Liquifier was made. Even just an Air Norton and Tone Zone would be better but oh well. Great guitar though!

Did you try an older Majesty with Illuminators or one of the newer ones with Sonic Ecstasy pickups? I used to have Illuminators in a guitar, but didn't really like them and went back to the factory 59/JB set for that guitar. My friend has a guitar with the Liquifire set and I liked that much better. I've never played a guitar with a D-Sonic or an Air Norton. It seems like every year Petrucci has a new guitar and new pickups. :p

I continue to struggle with my Majesty..love the comfort and lightness, the piezo is great, but I pretty much hate the pickups, they sound so compressed to me. I am considering putting a set of Devin Fluence pups on it, but it could be a rework nightmare.....

DT Fluence pups are legit!!!

I still dream about the day I can try one of those bad boys out. I've played a JP on multiple occasions and they are bar none one of the most comfortable guitars to me. It's on my wishlist for future axes to own. One day I'll win the lottery and own one. The majesty seems like a step forward in design although I haven't played any sound tests myself, good thing pickups can always be swapped out!

I still dream about the day I can try one of those bad boys out. I've played a JP on multiple occasions and they are bar none one of the most comfortable guitars to me. It's on my wishlist for future axes to own. One day I'll win the lottery and own one. The majesty seems like a step forward in design although I haven't played any sound tests myself, good thing pickups can always be swapped out!

The JPs are comfortable, yes. But with numerous quality issues. The jack is the least of possible worries - many of them have neck problems. Mine gets a back bow every summer. To the extent it’s unplayable for about two months each year.

The Majesties seem better, but I can’t stand the looks.

The wiring in that guitar is insane. I’ve used 2 for a while now. I absolutely love the guitar. I need some with piezo and used the previous MM JP guitars. The jack on those kept breaking because it’s soldered to a circuit board and just a little downward force would break it off, causing pippin sounds if the cable moved.

EBMM told me I was one of the few who experienced that, but it’s definitely not true.

The Majesty uses a totally different jack which is much more solid, and honestly the main reason I switched. I don’t really like the electric pickups, but have gotten used to them over time. They always sounded too mid-range to me, not warm and smooth like the previous pickups. If I had time, I’d switch to whatever pickups were in the JPs before the Liquifier was made. Even just an Air Norton and Tone Zone would be better but oh well. Great guitar though!

I had some issues with my jack as well. I love their guitars but for the price I'd like to see a bit more quality control on things like this. I noticed when plugging into the jack with the Majesty it was tight and solid.

I have/had 4 JP model and can't wait to try a majesty, the only issue is the retail price in europe, less and less physical shops sells musicman guitars here !
I don't give up :)

I think its a great guitar but on seeing it up close not sure its the one for me. I'm still really intrigued by the JP15. I'd rather an unfinished neck also. I love the sahara burst tops on those JP15's. I worry the Majesty style may look too dated in a few years. Purely subjective.

Had a JP6 a few years ago. Nice guitar, but had a few issues with the piezo and ended up selling it. Don't like the looks of the majestys at all.

The new Majesty’s with Sonic Ecstasy pickups sound better than the Illuminators. They seem fatter/warmer so the cleans really stand out and the distortion isn’t so harsh. Just my experience but I’m still a fan of first iteration of the Majesty. Those guitars sit in the mix really well.

I have a JP 15 preferred dealer network in a stunning Blueberry Burst finish with a roasted maple neck. The neck is without a doubt the best neck I have ever played. I have not had issues with the piezo jack but have not had it that long either. I also have a Majesty Monarchy in Majestic Purple that is also a very comfortable feeling guitar and sounds great! The looks of it don’t really bother me but then I am a fan of odd shaped guitars as I have had a BC Rich Mockingbird and a Rich Bich.

Back
Top Bottom