Tremol-no questions

My favorite way of blocking a trem for dive only is to place a neck plate in the cavity under the springs. Position it where you want the block to hit it and screw down the two holes in the back. The two holes in front should be a bit over the edge of the cavity so you can't screw them down. Easy and cheap.

Wonder if Kevan got to retire after creating it haha. Man I’ve been online for a while…

My favorite way of blocking a trem for dive only is to place a neck plate in the cavity under the springs. Position it where you want the block to hit it and screw down the two holes in the back. The two holes in front should be a bit over the edge of the cavity so you can't screw them down. Easy and cheap.
The purpose of this device is to lock and unlock on the fly... Different application.

I might actually give it one last shot and get replacement thumb screws to see if that makes any difference. if it doesn't then I will truly give up on it. I do go to drop D often. screws are cheap. $5 but ironically i'll pay more on shipping.

Plus I'm more a 2 spring guy vs 3 springs. I don't play anything over 9.5 gauge strings and also tune in E flat.
I have used 4 springs with 9-46. Once you sort the claws screw setting, it works, and makes the bar feel stiffer. Eventually went to 3 springs for that Goldilocks bar feel. Can't imagine 2 springs. Must be super soft....

I just took another look at the Deep-C up close with a thumb screw fully tightened and it hardly protrudes through. No wonder it wasn't holding. I don't understand why they wouldn't just come with slightly longer screws? i mean. that is the absolute simplest solution.

these are the replacement screws from allparts I just ordered. Looks like these have the O-rings I've read people mention taking off for the extra depth. mine don't have that and are just short so this may actually make a difference....

Attachments

• meme3.jpg
    meme3.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 8
I float all of my trems. I use 2 springs with 9.5 strings too .. just tuned standard🙂.

When you float 'em it's the exact same feel and tension as using 3 or 4... you just have to drive the claw in deeper for 2 . The spring tension always matches the string tension when you float one.

Some folks set them up for dive only. That's not my jam though.

I used a mag-lock instead of a tremol-no on a Wilkinson back when I needed to pull off double stops and pedal steel stuff. It releases when you grab the bar and stays locked otherwise. They are tricky to set up, but pretty great.

I gave it to my son though. I agree with Andy on the tone part. It sustains better and sounds brighter to my ears without any extra hardware (or felt for the Mag-lock) in the middle.

Two springs screwed down tight or 3 springs a little looser would be the same tension, but the springs would perhaps sound different at different tensions. That would be an interesting discussion for sure.

Last edited:
I might have designed it with a lever-based tensioner.
This. I found the Tremol-no screws to be impossible to use on the fly and I lost screws. "Hold on, let me flip my guitar over and mess with these screws for a minute!" It should have been a lever if anything.

I've tried several trem stabilizers and imho they're all lacking. I gave up. I either block/deck the trem or float it as necessary on a guitar by guitar basis.

I would love a trem stabilizer/lock that doesn't interfere with floating feel but can lock fast and easy with a lever or similar.

This. I found the Tremol-no screws to be impossible to use on the fly and I lost screws. "Hold on, let me flip my guitar over and mess with these screws for a minute!" It should have been a lever if anything.

I've tried several trem stabilizers and imho they're all lacking. I gave up. I either block/deck the trem or float it as necessary on a guitar by guitar basis.

I would love a trem stabilizer/lock that doesn't interfere with floating feel but can lock fast and easy with a lever or similar.

Attachments

• IMG_7850.jpeg
    IMG_7850.jpeg
    46.5 KB · Views: 33
I had a total derp moment today. Took another look at the thumbscrews and yes....there are o-rings that I just removed. I'll be able to screw in further now. caught it in time to cancel my order. Reassembling the tremol-no. I have spent far too long on such a trivial thing this week ha. I could be far more productive going in the garage sorting through random nuts/washers pretending to be busy.

Attachments

• tremol-no5.jpg
    tremol-no5.jpg
    543.2 KB · Views: 15
I could be far more productive going in the garage sorting through random nuts/washers pretending to be busy.
Gotta make sure your nuts are clean.... :D
1000012308.png

I float all of my trems. I use 2 springs with 9.5 strings too .. just tuned standard🙂.

When you float 'em it's the exact same feel and tension as using 3 or 4... you just have to drive the claw in deeper for 2 . The spring tension always matches the string tension when you float one.

I have floated 9-46 on three or four springs. Either will balance when spring and string static tensions are matched, but the bar feel is stiffer with more springs, due to the dynamic tension being higher with more springs....

If I played country, I'd probably try 5 springs and floating, to keep double stop bends closer to in-tune before I'd resort to a gadget....

Put the tremol-no back on with the o-rings off. ooookayyyy it works now. I mean had i just looked at those thumbscrews more closely before posting a thread I could've spared you all haha though its still an interesting convo to have regarding these types of gadgets. I can see its appeal if you say only had one guitar and wanted to do alternate tunings etc. I have a hardtail guitar specifically for that reason so that's what I'd reach for first

This is rubbish. It will rattle when not engaged and is not adjustable. A truly terrible idea.

You Dont Get It Over Your Head GIF

Although people actually do this lol

Gotta make sure your nuts are clean.... :D
View attachment 143568

I have floated 9-46 on three or four springs. Either will balance when spring and string static tensions are matched, but the bar feel is stiffer with more springs, due to the dynamic tension being higher with more springs....

If I played country, I'd probably try 5 springs and floating, to keep double stop bends closer to in-tune before I'd resort to a gadget....
Did you just empty your nuts on the floor? Cleanup in aisle basement! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom