Too Obsessive About USB Choices?

Case study in confirmation bias right here, damn. People double down in order to avoid being wrong about something, blows my mind.

Thanks for all the info and civil tone, I understand the basic principles you mentioned. I have never been under the impression amplifier audio signal somehow travels through the AC cable. So my guess as to why the AP AC cable made the JCM800 sound better is that the AP hollow oval geometry cable may have provided slightly lower resistance along with plugs made of high conductivity material, and allowed the AC current to flow to the transformer and meet the demand of larger transients faster, allowing the transformer to work better. Large transients, meaning palm mutes and hard strums through a high gain amp, with the improved efficiency of the current transfer from wall to transformer resulting in more dynamics and slightly more frequency extension.

With audio signal transmission we are concerned with fidelity and frequency response, and with AC we are concerned with efficiency, right? So doesn’t it makes sense that any design which lowers resistance, as the hollow oval design claims, could benefit both audio and AC line transmission?

Basically no. Resistance itself for a 120-220VAC signal over halfway reasonable power cable lengths is negligible as far as input to the transformer goes. Very little really matters as long as that transformer gets something within its operating range.....which generally have a pretty wide margin for error. They're designed that way.

That doesn't mean that power never matters. But, it does mean that unless you have very dirty power, you don't have any real problems.

At least IME, it's actually much more common for most consumer (and audiophile) grade power gubbins to make the situation worse, unless you're buying industrial level equipment or very few actually good prosumer level things.

Case in point, I think I own 5 of the exact same model of prosumer UPS for various computers and other electronic things in my home. Because they're the only ones I've found that actually work and aren't crazy expensive for home use. All of the other consumer grade ones I've tried trigger a reboot when they take over from wall power because the wave they output is so far off from a clean sine wave that while my (high-end) PSUs will run off them, they won't stay running through the transition. Which kind of defeats the purpose of having a UPS. I was very happy I found them, because I was about to spend the price of ~2 very decent gaming PCs (before the GPU price explosion) just for industrial/pro level UPSs that were overkill but at least functioned as UPSs.

The HDMI cable spec doesn't define a maximum length which is why working at the extremes of the spec is actually full of stuff that only kind of works.

So, while I generally agree with your "If it's in spec, either it works or it's broken" comment, some specs leave too much room for error that makes the extreme edges of the spec hard to meet reliably. Not ever cable is tested off the line, tolerances vary in manufacturing processes, tolerances across the receiver, cable and sender can add up to an over all integration that floats just out of spec, etc.

But, this is the extreme end of transmission here. Not the bog standard rates we're dealing with over USB and audio gear. And certainly not the mundane AC on power lines in houses.

Wow.

You're right. I made the mistake of thinking HDMI was similar to every other sensible spec I've actually looked up. That's.....really stupid. At least displayport specifies minimum performance for various lengths, though not the actual lengths. Does HDMI not specify signal integrity or performance, or did I miss that too?

Can we put this one in the "consumer electronics are a joke" column?

His current runs through a mess of shit wires on the street and inside his house,
View attachment 108016
Buys a $300 audiophile power cable to run from the wall plug to his amplifier :D
It's really shocking who falls for it.

The OP is in good company, at least as far as successful careers in audio are concerned. Unfortunately, all those people are also in the bad company of people who think rocks and hockey pucks improve acoustics.

At least, most of the time, the cables don't make it worse.

Case study in confirmation bias right here, damn. People double down in order to avoid being wrong about something, blows my mind.

Really?

People don't like being wrong, and they don't like wasting money. When you try to convince someone that they wasted a lot of money on something that made no difference to something they understand and feel passionate about, especially when they went on record as hearing an obvious improvement....they're very likely to double down rather than accepting that placebo effect is a thing.

I knew that if I heard a difference when I upgrade my speaker cables, it was going to be placebo. I still bought them. And I don't regret it. But, mostly, I just think they're cool.

Really?

People don't like being wrong, and they don't like wasting money. When you try to convince someone that they wasted a lot of money on something that made no difference to something they understand and feel passionate about, especially when they went on record as hearing an obvious improvement....they're very likely to double down rather than accepting that placebo effect is a thing.

That is literally the point I was trying to make :)

No worries, it was more just an exclamation of how surreal I find it. I love finding out I'm wrong about something, because it means I can then be actually right about it. I have this intense fear of being a gullible fool, I guess. So when I see people (regularly) doubling down on stuff like this that's demonstrably and provably false, I just gotta do a double take

No worries, it was more just an exclamation of how surreal I find it. I love finding out I'm wrong about something, because it means I can then be actually right about it.
You and me both.

Oddly...reminds me of Jocko's approach to Ju Jitsu...."hurry up and fail" so you can start learning.

Some of you folks may recognize me from a couple other threads with regards to my newbie inquiries. So keeping in that same lane, I have another question which has sent me deep into another rabbit hole.

Regarding the USB 2.0 A to B connection, am I getting way too obsessive when I start looking at $200 cables?

https://www.audioadvice.com/audioquest-cinnamon-usb-a-to-b-digital-audio-cable-75m-1
If you use gold electrical wiring all throughout your house it will make your AXE sound 0.0001% better.

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I just wonder if we all would have heard the difference if we were in the room with the engineer. Maybe the original power cable was losing integrity? Sometimes things happen. Physics and science aren't all worked out yet.

They’re clearly using inferior Ethernet cables. They’re missing the depth of your soundstage and nuances of your written words aren’t coming through with a proper amount of immediacy and forwardness.
I mean.....

I got the joke, and I use very nice ethernet cables because I'm a ridiculous dork and didn't want to have to re-run them through my walls because a cheap cable failed.

Interesting thread. I just wonder if we all would have heard the difference if we were in the room with the engineer. Maybe the original power cable was losing integrity? Sometimes things happen. Physics and science aren't all worked out yet.

You know...it's true that we don't know everything. It's logically proven that we can't prove everything (not kidding).

But, the way science works is that some observation that doesn't fit the established science needs a plausible theory that implies falsifiable hypotheses. Saying that maybe we don't understand something doesn't count. And every single attempt to create a testable/falsifiable hypothesis in this regard has failed for a long time. Placebo effect, OTOH is easily demonstrated and was postulated as a falsifiable hypothesis.

I mean.....

I got the joke, and I use very nice ethernet cables because I'm a ridiculous dork and didn't want to have to re-run them through my walls because a cheap cable failed.

You know...it's true that we don't know everything. It's logically proven that we can't prove everything (not kidding).

But, the way science works is that some observation that doesn't fit the established science needs a plausible theory that implies falsifiable hypotheses. Saying that maybe we don't understand something doesn't count. And every single attempt to create a testable/falsifiable hypothesis in this regard has failed for a long time. Placebo effect, OTOH is easily demonstrated and was postulated as a falsifiable hypothesis.
If multiple people hear something.. it probably happened. It's like going to the dr. and they blame some pain a person is having on a mental disorder merely because they have no other explanation. It's just lazy. It stops people from actually investigating things outside the established.

Back
Top Bottom