Too many amps for meaningful differences?

It doesn't matter what we do. People will complain. All this amazing technology at your fingertips and some people would rather spend their time finding flaws than making music. Flaws like "there are too many amp models" or "there aren't enough amp models" or "whaaaa, there's no model of the Royal Petticoat TR-30. They made 38 of them. I can't believe there's no model of it. I can't get MY sound without it.".
I still cant find the Death Monger Seal Clubber XT500.:cool:

I've been using Fractal since 2012, and while I've learned to use it pretty well, I still find some of the detailed amp parameters overwhelming. I'd love to take the time to learn it all and really understand how everything fits together and how I could "mod" my virtual Marshall to turn it into a Bogner or whatever modded version you prefer. But it's nice to just be able to turn one dial and try out different models that start out sounding good and then tweak from there with the basics. And if I want to get into the detailed params, I can still do that and mod my mod. So I love having all the choices, even if the list is massive. It may take some time to go through it, but it'd take more time and knowledge for me to get the same range of tones by tweaking the advanced params.

As far as I’m aware, there isn’t anything that sounds like a Randall RG-100es or Century 200. There’s many of us who would love this solid state option so we can make Dimebag Darrell, George lynch and early Def Leppard tones.

That said, I agree, the axe fx 3 is the greatest guitar processor ever made and not by a little.

Every amp I dial up sounds like me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So true!!!! The thing I love about having such an abundance of amp models is pure exploration. Even when the differences are nuanced. Getting to spend 10 minutes the other day with a few amp models I'd never played through in the physical world blew my mind. While I might dismiss many on a given day sometimes one just grabs hold and creativity is sparked. Its also so amazing when trying to dial up a tone that ISN'T meant to sound like me to have the tools at hand. I am shocked at how close I can quickly get to a tone once I know what the artist was likely using. Sometimes its pretty silly simple especially if you know which amp model to start with. One thing I can confidently say is if you can't find an amp model you like (actually many you like) in the fractal products then I doubt you would be satisfied with any company out there. If you only are interested in a couple then ignore the rest and keep it simple. Keep to the basic controls and play away! For those that love to tweak for days then play for a minute they've got you covered as well. I just think everyone wins at this point!

There have been earlier versions of FW on legacy Fractal products where I would have agreed with the idea that the amp models tend to run together and all the various models are not necessary. That’s no longer true. The amp modeling has progressed to the point where the unique characteristics of each amp model comes through. Congrats to Fractal for their continued pursuit of excellence that has brought us to this point.

The Fender Deluxe has been brought up more than once as and argument that there is too much redundancy. I disagree. There are very distinct differences between the Tweed, Brownface, Blackface, and Silverface Fender amps. For that matter, the Brownface Deluxe is missing. I’m not going to complain about it, but I wouldn’t mind if it was added some day.

Back
Top Bottom