Tone Matching Request - Steve Stevens Plexi (video attached)

This is actually quite funny, a bit like the chicken or the egg syndrome. In this Roland VG demo i am playing through an Axefx II. It's a tweaked preset using the Friedman Brown Eye amp. Cab is IR from Redwirez. There is no actual mic'd amp in this demo at all.

Welcome Mr. Stevens, and thank you for the reply...really made my day. i'm a huge fan of your work, you've been a tone-monster on almost every track you've released. "Exposed", such a killer record, and many more of course ;)

Really amazing, that you used the Axe for this nice demo. I actually thought you were playing a Friedman Prototype...some speculations about such an amp on HRI :)
If you don't mind, would you explain how you tweaked/build the preset? Another thing i'd be interested in: Did you any editing in your DAW (frequency-wise, effects, etc.) or is this sound coming out of the Axe entirely?

reverb-setting: gonna upload it tomorrow, when i'm on the mac in my studio ;)

Last edited:
Wow thats amazing Steve Stevens is here, what a player. *Must resist urge to ask what was used for the top gun anthem guitar track* :D

If I remember correctly from an interview that Steve gave, the Top Gun Anthem was recorded in New York when Steve was actually recording with Billy Idol. Steve mentioned that his rig was already set up and mic'ed for the Idol record and he did the top gun track in one day and then he went on tour with Billy. He seemed very suprised when he came back home and recieved a grammy nomination (and won of course :D)
I think he cranked up his #1 plexi for this tune. Same amp that can be heard on Vince Neil's "Exposed" i think.

I have been using the AxeFx for quite a while now. Version II was a huge step up, and now having tone matching is mind blowing.

Agreed. The gen1 Axe FX is amazing in its own right but the II is off the hook!

Welcome to the forum Steve :)

Pat is right on the money as to what amp was used back in the day. It is a 68 plexy that is entirely stock with the exception of swapping out all the tube sockets with ceramic to avoiding arcing. Once i am back at my studio i will pull the Axefx preset off the unit and post it. As i mentioned you'll have to tweak your own IR cab. I'll take a look to see which i used. I really appreciate all the kind words you guys have heaped on me. We're all just guitar plain' geeks as far as i'm concerned. That said, i have learned a thing or two in my now over 30 years of making records. I'm happy to share that knowledge. I just finished filming a very in depth series of online lessons with Jamplay.com. Should be available in a couple of months. I used the Axefx exclusively for that.

Pat is right on the money as to what amp was used back in the day. It is a 68 plexy that is entirely stock with the exception of swapping out all the tube sockets with ceramic to avoiding arcing. Once i am back at my studio i will pull the Axefx preset off the unit and post it. As i mentioned you'll have to tweak your own IR cab. I'll take a look to see which i used. I really appreciate all the kind words you guys have heaped on me. We're all just guitar plain' geeks as far as i'm concerned. That said, i have learned a thing or two in my now over 30 years of making records. I'm happy to share that knowledge. I just finished filming a very in depth series of online lessons with Jamplay.com. Should be available in a couple of months. I used the Axefx exclusively for that.

That is just too cool, thanks in advance for your contribution to our community of geeks. That's one of the best Marshall-like tones I've heard from the Axe II. Hope to hear more from you here on the forum.

Reverb

What's the reverb setting look like?

As I mentioned in the first post, I made a preset which features a similar reverb to the one in the video. Feel free to tweak around and share your results ;)

Attachments

• Pat Peavey 6160.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 117
Hello Guys,
Which amp, pedals would you guys choose? For some reason it's very difficult to me to get these modded, organic Marshall sounds (like Aldrich, Sykes, Stevens) out of the Axe.

I can contribute a reverb-setting similar to the one in the video if anyone comes up with a good match :)

Back to the original post: I'm not having any issues at all getting those tones. The Friedman's are very good (and seem to be the most popular with folks), but honestly I've been LOVING the JVM models for this stuff. IMO they have way too much gain, so drop it off on that, play with input trim and Xformer match, and turn it up. Also, check Mark Day's presets (which use the HBE...) and tweak it...for me usually it's taking off the 'boost' and backing off bass.

And as far as copping Steve's tone, keep in mind you have to have his fingers to get there. He's doing some things in this video (scale wise), that make me want to 'get in the gym' and play. He's going to sell more than a few of these things with this demo...hell, I even thought about it. What a great backup rig...just a guitar!

Thanks Steve for contributing. Let us know when those lessons hit the site over there...I'm sure we can put some 'butts in seats' for you.

Ron

Oh man this is too sweet...Dev T and SS posting in here. Just finished drooling over Steve's That Metal Show appearance and here he is. Best guitar spot on the show so far. Top 5 guitar player of our generation...right up there with Ed, Vai, Satch & SRV. I listen to Memory Crash and Whiplash Smile all the time. Killer tone on the Axe...great to hear you are using it. Gotta revisit the HBE model again now.

I am now worthy...thank you Mr. Steve for all of the wonderful music you have created over the years and that fantastic vibrato and tone!!!

Very awesome that Steve will be joining us. I like the others think the Axe Fx will put the rock back into guitar.

As I mentioned in the first post, I made a preset which features a similar reverb to the one in the video. Feel free to tweak around and share your results ;)

Thanks for posting the patch. What are the reverb settings that make this one unique?

I am stunned at our good fortune to have Steve on here with us. I just got through learning the Rebel Yell solo and having to stop playing it because my index finger began bleeding rfom the in a row bends before the first ray gun kicks in.

If by any chance you have the time to post about this I sure would love to know what amp to use to more closely approximate the tone on that track. The plexis in the axe didn't work for me as they seemed to low in gain even though I tried to replicate the gear you had mentions using somewhere else (plexi full master volume with 25 watt speaker).

Once again, it is an honor to have you here sir!!!!!

I considered it when I purchased the tyler variax. I eventually went with the variax because the G-5 doesn’t have any connectivity for future updates. I found that odd.

That is odd. Its kinda like dissing their association with the VG stuff.

That is odd. Its kinda like dissing their association with the VG stuff.

And what about bug fixes or future upgrades? The good point is that even if the software become outdated you still have a strat along with the models that it shiped with but I halready have a nice strat so for a modeling guitar I went with the Variax sinve it can always be updated at a later date and the workbench software that allows you to customize. I kind of think Roland missed the boat there. But that is just my opinion. I did see the g-5 and NAMM and it was nice!

Back
Top Bottom