Tone Matching Request - Steve Stevens Plexi (video attached)

Pat

Hello Guys,

i recently found this video of Steve Stevens (check settings for high resolution):

I tried to match the first two tones he played but my results weren't any good at all. I think my biggest problem is to find solid starting point for the match. Which amp, pedals would you guys choose? For some reason it's very difficult to me to get these modded, organic Marshall sounds (like Aldrich, Sykes, Stevens) out of the Axe.

I can contribute a reverb-setting similar to the one in the video if anyone comes up with a good match :)

I wonder if I could install the Roland VG "guts" into my guitar, and connect it to a Graphtech LB63 piezo Floyd bridge! Man, I would LOVE that!!!!

This is actually quite funny, a bit like the chicken or the egg syndrome. In this Roland VG demo i am playing through an Axefx II. It's a tweaked preset using the Friedman Brown Eye amp. Cab is IR from Redwirez. There is no actual mic'd amp in this demo at all.

Sweet! That makes it a bit easier. Great to see you here!
BTW, Memory Crash is one of my all time favorite Instrumental Albums.

This is actually quite funny, a bit like the chicken or the egg syndrome. In this Roland VG demo i am playing through an Axefx II. It's a tweaked preset using the Friedman Brown Eye amp. Cab is IR from Redwirez. There is no actual mic'd amp in this demo at all.

WOW, that is too crazy, I would not have guessed that you were playing through an Axe II! What an awesome demo for both the VG Strat and the Axe II.

I have been using the AxeFx for quite a while now. Version II was a huge step up, and now having tone matching is mind blowing.

Man, I can't get away from you this week, it's like national Steve Steven's week or something between a few other youtube videos I was watching, That Metal Show and now this video and thread. :) I thought that Eddie and those guys were going to crap their pants when you were playing between commercial breaks.

Read and watched first post just cuz it was Steve Stevens jamming of course, like a moth to a flame....and then BAM. Steve magically apears and answers the post with a II, EPIC!! :p Made my weekend! Thanks dude!!!

This is the ultimate in tone matching - ask the guy directly for the tone. Cut out all of the capture/sonic analysis BS. :)

Steve - welcome to the forum - you are the man. I as well love your stuff - the Flamenco.A.Go.Go and Memory Crash albums get lots of spins here. There was another thread this week discussing your ray gun sound - your ears must have been burning. Awesome.

Mr. Stevens, cool to have you chime in on the boards. Welcome! That VG Strat demo was damn cool. Great tone from the Axe II as well. Still trying to nail my favorite tone of yours though. Live version of Mony Mony with Billy Idol. My guess is that the core of that tone was from a modded Plexi. Absolutely love it. Sharp edges, not too gainy, very percussive, and harmonically rich. Feel free to tone match (and post!) that amp if you still have it! :)

This version... Billy Idol - Mony Mony (Live) - YouTube

Amacing playing and really good sound. It is hard to hear that you are actually playing trough two modeling devices here. What did you tweak on the Friedman Brown Eye amp preset and which IR from Redwirez do you use?

Wow Mr. Stevens great to have you on the forum. Love you playing style and tone! :)

It would be an huge contribution to this forum if you could please post that preset, maybe we could even have it as a default AXE-FX II preset. :D

actually, that IS quite funny. can't wait to see what the HRI guys have to say as your video is part of a topic over there as well (with speculations about the amp being used)...

Wow thats amazing Steve Stevens is here, what a player. *Must resist urge to ask what was used for the top gun anthem guitar track* :D

Back
Top Bottom