"Tone Matching" Preview

In Tone Matching mode you can match the tone of an isolated guitar track.
what happens if you for example input a Van Halen isolated take that contains chorus, detune or phaser, or any other effects for that matter ? obviously it would recreate the effects, but how does it react to effect treated tracks ?

what happens if you for example input a Van Halen isolated take that contains chorus, detune or phaser, or any other effects for that matter ? obviously it would recreate the effects, but how does it react to effect treated tracks ?

Good question. I honestly don't know. Send me a track and I'll try it. I imagine it wouldn't really have that much effect as the technique averages over a period of time.

How long does an iso track need to be?

I'd love to hear a tone match of "5150," which has 10 seconds of just Eddie in the intro and has effects on it.

Good question. I honestly don't know. Send me a track and I'll try it. I imagine it wouldn't really have that much effect as the technique averages over a period of time.
if you have OU812, try Cabo Wabo (the intro). lovely VH tone, drenched in detune.

Dumb question... So do both the Amp and Tone matching options both end up becoming an Amp block in the grid that we can then mod like today?

Sweet. Looks like I'm gonna have to start buying up some used amps and other gear very soon.
I wonder if it will work on my pig nose. Lol

Edit: holy crap. I just realized that he's integrating a guitar track tone match too. That's truly amazing.

Last edited:
are we able to match a stereo track as well or is it strict mono? Im asking cos sometimes doubletracked recordings have a different sound dialed in on one side of the panorama.

Does anyone know what we will need to do this ie, microphones, or anything else, will it be like IR capture? What would be a good mic to get for this I want to be ready!

if it works like the ozone matching (which i guess), a few seconds should be enough

Thanks! That opens up so many possibilities. There are some great live and recorded tracks out there for the taking with this!

Dumb question... So do both the Amp and Tone matching options both end up becoming an Amp block in the grid that we can then mod like today?
It would be awesome if we only "lost" presets spots with it and the whole thing became an configured amp, but my guess is that all goes automatically (at least for amp matching) and we'll lose a corrective IR spot, or probably less than that.
Some new space for profiles may be created (that could soon "run out", just like lack of IR spots in G1), or we may be asked if we wanna lose eg 10 IR spots to 20 or 40 TM spots. Something like that. Just guessing away now we still can :D

Last edited:
There are currently two modes:
Amp Matching and...
Tone Matching.

In Tone Matching mode you can match the tone of an isolated guitar track.

Oh man - that's cool!

Outstanding work Cliff! Thanks again for the incredible product, development, and support! :)

I'm having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around the 2nd half of this fantastic breakthrough.

"Amp mode" I think I get. Something like "ya put a frequency spectrum into into an amp (or another modeler, or whatever), set to settings you like, ya measure the freq spectrum of the output, compare them, and that's the tonal fingerprint of the amp/modeler. Recreate that fingerprint somehow in the AfeFx, and that's the Amp mode "tone match".

So...if you play a strat, vintage low-winds middle PU, into the orig amp/modeler, at those settings you like, and get a certain tone, then you can now plug the same strat, same middle PU, into the AxeFx, and get the same tone. Fantastic!

But I'm confused about "Tone Matching" mode. Let's say the isolated gtr track being analyzed was made w/ the same strat, vintage low-winds middle PU, into the same amp as above. Somehow, the AxeFx derives a tonal "fingerprint" of that track. But how does the AxeFx software "know" that it was a strat, middle PU, etc– instead of a LP, neck PU– that made the tone?

Does that mean that when I plug in the same strat, same PU to play the the "Tone Matched" model, it'll sound pretty similar... but when I plug in an LP, neck PU, it'll be approx the same amount of distortion, sustain, etc, but be a lot darker? Or, maybe it would have considerably more distortion, sustain, etc as one would expect from "Amp Mode"? Or would ANY guitar played through the Tone Matched" model have approx the same EQ, as well as amount of distortion, sustain, etc?

Sorry... this is hard to phrase the question. I can imagine how hard it would be to answer...:)

Sorry... this is hard to phrase the question. I can imagine how hard it would be to answer...:)
It's simple: do a search on Tone Matching :p (you normally have to play the same thing with the guitar config you're gonna use and then a corrective config is made).

Back
Top Bottom