"Tone Matching" Preview

Shotgunn, I was immediately thinking of your Youtube video where you exhaustingly (And quite amazingly) replicated the Metalica tone. And now it looks like the whole process is going to be an "In-The-Box" process.
Those Stems should prove to be excellent for this!!

I'm totally excited!!! It's a shame I dropped $175 on Ozone 5. Oh well, it's still a VERY useful mastering plugin with tons of other uses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With these youtube clips:
matching to a compressed audio format would be less than ideal, I would think.

I agree, but the EQ matching that I did with Ozone 5 was mostly mp3 tracks. When I looked at the FR of the entire mix there was a steep drop off above 16kHz. When I looked at the isolated guitar tracks (The Black Album) there was a steep drop off at 10kHz. I have some very useable IR's from mp3's. Less than ideal, sure, but it's still pretty killer.

"Listen to me! I am right! You are wrong!"

Before this hit with force, someone said 'prepare for a sh*tstorm' and they were prophetically correct.

My take? Wait till you have this in your hands and THEN discuss it. It'll be funny to revisit this thread after the features hit release and realize (as often happens) that many assumptions were incorrect and the resultant debate wastes of time, effort, patience and good will. Or bad will.

Or better yet, let's never revisit this thread once it drops and instead get back to actually building community support sharing cool Tone Matches between owners.

HAIL KING SCOTT!!!!!!

26,000 views on one thread ...must be a record...on here...just thought i'd mention... phew can wait for the new toys..

Why does the process have to be identical to what KPA uses to be useful and relevant?
Because we're guitar players and we don't trust new things. Seriously, how many guitar players play an instrument that was designed later than the 1950s? There's a reason why guitarists and audiophiles are the only consumers using vacuum tubes anymore.

Since KPA was the first device to clone the sounds of other amps, it much be the way to go about it.

Louder, not Brighter

I'm totally excited!!! It's a shame I dropped $175 on Ozone 5. Oh well, it's still a VERY useful mastering plugin with tons of other uses.

I'm in the same boat. Ozone has an awesome matching function, but it's a PITA to get the right curve then run the cables to take the IR. Having it all in one box will be great!

A few people said the second clip sounded brighter. From my perspective it's not brighter, just a little louder which gives the illusion of being brighter. Reduce the volume of the second half and listen again. Just my perspective.

Very cool feature indeed.

Just got listening to the first clip again. The second example seems to have more depth to it. Like speaker/cab resonance or of that nature.

Tone Match vs. Amp Match

Hi Folks- sorry for the long thread but I'm hoping it might be useful, apologies if I'm repeating anything already written!!…

As I see it the differences in 'Tone Matching' and 'Amp Matching' are that Tone Matching is a single ended process and Amp Matching is a double ended one.

As users of Ozone and other similar matching EQs will know - you can take a signal and match the final sonic spectrum quite closely. You can even match the spectrum of a clean Twin Reverb recording to a full on 5150! Of course it will sound nothing like it - mimicking the gain stages and tone stacks that generated the sound in the first place are crucial to getting a similar sounding result. So for Tone Matching to work in duplicating the sound of a pre-recorded setup (disregarding effects like chorus and delay) the amp type, level of distortion and guitar played all must be quite similar to the original recording to get a satisfactory facsimile. The tone matching will get you close to the FINAL spectrum, but all the rest- regarding dynamics (or lack of them) is up to you.

Amp Matching is very different as it is double ended. I have been using rudimentary amp matching for many years, sometimes fairly successfully duplicating real amps in modellers. There are many pitfalls to overcome as you must not only duplicate the output spectrum of an amp but also the pre-clipping EQ as well as the clipping character. To quote Cliff- "it's a couple of matching EQs wrapped around a waveshaper". This is the process I have used in simple terms…I always did this pre speaker so I could use my own cab, but the process is the same (although much more involved) with a cab in the chain.
First you have to remove one variable, so by pushing an amp into total clipping you largely remove the contribution of the 'pre' EQ. Then you can feed in test signals to measure the output spectrum. Once this is matched and set you must remove the clipping completely, then you can match the input EQ. Next you have to observe the transition through the minimum to maximum input signal levels to match the dynamics and clipping type as it progresses in to overload. This is best achieved with a complex calibrated set of automated test signals as in the Kemper (I did mine by hand and could spend DAYS getting close-ish). You will now be getting close to the sound of the real amp but it will still be a snapshot of this amp at one setting only. The way to get closer to cloning the full operation of a real life amp is to start with a model that is configured as much like the original as possible so the interaction between gain stages and EQ are similar, and from what little info we have so far, this I think is where amp matching in the AFX may really have the edge.

Finally (and humbly)- one small observation on a different tack- If we don't like the tone of somebody's post, how about if we just stay cool, refrain from commenting and leave it alone… then the thread will never degenerate in to confrontation as so many sadly seem to do to no avail……

Peace!!

Last edited:
First thing BE THANKFUL

People are going overboard... You're trying to criticize and analyze something that doesn't even exist to us. I look forward to this- I'm thrilled about this. I don't care how it will work, or even how well it works. They are giving us more than what we paid for and should be praised for going this far and taking it to a new plateau for all of us.

The samples sound great, I'm blown away- I give Fractal all the credit deserved striving for so much on an existing unit.

SO LET IT PLAY OUT... we'll learn more as it comes along, it will get better as it goes along... and it will be better and we will have more than what we have now-- and that's more than we can ask for.

Let's see what we get before we ask 1000 questions criticize it for what it does/doesn't do and how it works or how it may work-

BE PATIENT-
I'm happy, I'm excited, I look forward to it- You're beating eachother up over how you want or how you imagine this thing is or will be.

take it easy-
its guitar
guitars fun
and we're all FUCKING LUCKY to have such a great unit-

Back
Top Bottom