Tone Match "nasal-y" Issue

Do you have a DAW running at the same time? I discovered having Logic running simultaneously screwed it up.

I've been getting the same nasally out-of phase sounding results...have tried every setting mentioned here and elsewhere...???

It feels like the common thread here is that several people are having the same adverse reaction to what successful users are having. I for one am happy, in a way, because I no longer feel alone in this matter. It's not that our beautiful box is doing something wrong, but rather, that we are doing something wrong in the correct process. We are looking only for an approach that is common to others but not ourselves. Granted, we are not all sound engineers, professional performers of the such but instead we are everyday people with the same problem... the understanding of what we are not doing to complete this task. Please be patient with us. We can hear the splenders of the successful others, but we are not at that point yet. We ask only for help from others who do know more.

All depends on many factors even if you got any eq set in your pc sound card. For example intro to Sweet Child o Mine it will sound nearly spot on but when you play riffs it sounds thin... and im pretty sure thats the way Kemper Profiles which makes no option for further alterations.
EQ wouldn't help here unless you're doing it at the application level and not with the sound card itself if that makes any sense.

I am curious about the high end issues that some seem to be having and wonder if some EQ might help there. I mean about 99% of whatever it is you are trying to tone match isn't going to be above about 7kHz at the absolute highest. Perhaps some extreme EQ on the source file during playback for referencing would help?

I started using a low pass filter and that seems to help out a lot with getting rid of that sizzle. Is there a specific place the low pass should go in the chain and a frequency range I should focus in on? Im new to all this stuff. I also think that going AMP -> CAB -> TM sounds better than just AMP -> TM, im assuming, because I am going straight from the AXE to FRFR QSC K12's. Without a cab block every TM attempt is way too thin...unless I am doing something else wrong. I feel like I have definitely gotten closer than I was with tone matching but Im still not quite there yet.

As expected i found that amp matching works fine but i was not very successful with song matching.
Finally i ended by using guitar playing for the match (test tone does not work well here) and the same input (input 1) in case of phase issue.(and peak mode)
I've got better results.

I started using a low pass filter and that seems to help out a lot with getting rid of that sizzle. Is there a specific place the low pass should go in the chain and a frequency range I should focus in on? Im new to all this stuff. I also think that going AMP -> CAB -> TM sounds better than just AMP -> TM, im assuming, because I am going straight from the AXE to FRFR QSC K12's. Without a cab block every TM attempt is way too thin...unless I am doing something else wrong. I feel like I have definitely gotten closer than I was with tone matching but Im still not quite there yet.

If you listen to the RATT and Van Halen clips I did, those were both with TM block replacing a cab block.

I have had success with some songs and issues with others. As mentioned, the Ratt and Van Halen clips sounded great. I tried to capture an early Def Leppard tone last night and didn't sound as great.

Don't get too frustrated everyone. This is a new thing and eventually the tweaks will be ironed out.

Back
Top Bottom