Tip for saving money at Musiciansfriend.com

hussamd

Power User
Not sure if it is common knowledge but I wanted to share with my fellow musicians a tip for saving money.

Any time I need to order from musiciansfriend.com I would call instead of using the web and I can get an automatic 5% discount just for asking for a discount. It helps if you have an account or have bought from them before.

I like them because: Discount + free shipping + no taxes = savings

I have had other times where I had a 20% coupon from SamAsh and they matched it.

You'll never get the discount is you do not ask for it.

Enjoy the savings and don't tell them I told you :D and for God's sake don't all rush at once!

PS I am not affiliated in any way with them. I just want to pass the savings on.

Yeah, that works for a few others as well like Music123. I've bought a ton of stuff from them and had done price matches and quotes via messages and had gotten a great price quote on some monitors. I had a friend who was in the market so I told him that I'd try to hook him up. He went ahead and called and not only got the same price on the monitors but got ridiculous discounts on an interface and some mics. He had never even heard of them at that point....all it took was a phone call and a question.

I prefer sameday music they ship the same day you order it and they match anyone and there price to expite shipping to like 2 day shipping is minimal . Musicians friends slow to ship and charges tax for Washington residents because they own Guitar Centers here. Sweet water is great for high end stuff and they have sales people if you call them they know the products they sell.

Thanks for the tip. It works like that for pretty much any Company now and days! I just e-mailed a big plugin Company and asked if they had any Birthday specials (if you buy their product on your Birthday). They replied: "what do you want?" I told them and BAMMMMM 50% off! I couldn't believe it. I should start having about 10 birthdays a year hahahaha. But yeah, if you contact the Company by phone or e-mail first they usually knock some off. I even tried a demo once and the Company e-mailed me for a few weeks asking how I like it. I said it was great but too expensive, they asked what would I pay for it reasonably. I told them and that was my price.

I always avoid MF because they charge tax in Utah...

jrrshop is one of my favorites, whenever they have what I'm looking for... otherwise it's calls to sweetwater, music123, samedaymusic, etc... all about the price!

I prefer sameday music they ship the same day you order it and they match anyone and there price to expite shipping to like 2 day shipping is minimal . Musicians friends slow to ship and charges tax for Washington residents because they own Guitar Centers here. Sweet water is great for high end stuff and they have sales people if you call them they know the products they sell.

MF doesn't charge tax in Florida and we have a zillion Guitar Centers. Sorry, but it's your state that makes them charge the tax. Just sayin'-They ship very fast to me. But anyway, I use all of them, depends what I need. And , for me, ZZounds gives the best "match the price deal" Always lower than the rest. For me.

The tip works with most companies, even stores. I tried this at SamAsh and Guitar Center and even asked to see the manager and I always get a discount. The problem is you add tax on top of it and the savings are a wash but you get to go home with the item.

In the Chicago area I get stuff from FM in 2 days since they are in St Luis. Not a bad turnaround.

The tip works with most companies, even stores. I tried this at SamAsh and Guitar Center and even asked to see the manager and I always get a discount. The problem is you add tax on top of it and the savings are a wash but you get to go home with the item.

In the Chicago area I get stuff from FM in 2 days since they are in St Luis. Not a bad turnaround.

You get around paying the tax amount by telling them that you wouldn't pay tax on the MF purchase. They'll adjust the price so that after taxes, you'll walk away with the "tax free" price. I do this a lot because I don't like waiting for items to get shipped, damaged by UPS, then shipped again. :)

I almost never pay tag for anything. I worked in a music store many moons ago, so I know the mark ups and wiggle room available for the most part. Most discount music stores will give additional money if you ask.....but don't even consider it with Sweetwater.......they almost pride themselves in charging top dollar.
This would be a typical conversation with Sweetwater.....
ME..."Oh great, it's in stock.....can you knock off 10%?...I saw it at XYZ store cheaper".
SW: "No, we can't do that, but if anything goes wrong with it, or you have technical questions, just call and you will get expert service".
ME: "But dude, it's a freaking road case!"

Last edited:
I guess it depends on the rep at Sweetwater. The guy that I talked to offered to knock some $$$ off a guitar. Not as low as I was willing though.

does these discount requests work when contacting by email?
i often shop in USA internet stores (i am from Europe) so calling by phone would be a hassle.

Back
Top Bottom