Tip for amp switching with NO drop out whatsoever

Working with external controllers can be quite complicated...

When you attach an external controller to the Bypass parameter in the Amp blocks, you're in fact transferring responsibility for setting the engaged/bypass state of those blocks from the Axe-Fx to the MFC. In other words: the saved state of the preset does not longer dictate the initial state of those blocks. Instead, an IA switch (set to the CC of the attached external controller) is in charge.

When using the MFC, such an IA switch is called a'"general use" switch. Meaning that it's not directly controlling Axe-Fx functionality, but it's configured using general MIDI .

A general use switch can be set to "global, or not" and "send w/preset, or not". Defaults: global and send w/preset.
This means that the current state of the IA switch on the MFC always determines which amp block becomes active when switching presets.

When switching to a preset, you may want a specific Amp block to be engaged or bypassed, regardless of the current state of the IA switch. This is possible. For this you need to enter the Preset menu on the MFC. Scroll to the IA switch commands, and set the IA switch which controls the external controller to On or Off. That's it.

Note that using external controllers to switch between blocks can introduce delays / audible switching when switching presets. The Scenes functionality, due to appear in upcoming firmware, may present a better way to quickly switch between Amp blocks.

Using 2 amps with a modifier for no drop-outs

I wouldn't be too concerned about any lack of tone/quality when running two amp blocks in a single preset. It was good enough for this artist who has been gigging tube amps for his entire career. It should be good enough for you :).

Thanks for this valuable tip. I just built a preset using two amps into one cabinet. I tried to use my normal signal chain template and add an amp AND a cabinet, but I went beyond with the CPU usage when I did that. So I just added the amp, and not the second cab. I'm guessing the amp is on a separate CPU, but the Cabs are part of the effects CPU?

I am going to keep experimenting to see if I can cut back on my effects chain so I can literally have 2 amps and 2 cabs. With scenes, I'll be able to have some nice combinations with minimal latency and minimal drop out (yes, I'm aware, switching between wildly different settings even with scenes, might not allow for seamless tone).

I've been using the scene concept without presets already by manipulating x/y and on/offs of my effects, but the best feature for me, is going to be the ability to manage the volume for each scene.

Thanks again for this important and powerful tip on using 2 amps with the modifier.

Thanks for this valuable tip. I just built a preset using two amps into one cabinet. I tried to use my normal signal chain template and add an amp AND a cabinet, but I went beyond with the CPU usage when I did that. So I just added the amp, and not the second cab. I'm guessing the amp is on a separate CPU, but the Cabs are part of the effects CPU?

Yup, that's correct. Amps run on DSP B and everything else runs on DSP A.

Glad you like the tip!

Hey, I dont have an AFXII, but I use this concept on my Ultra as I play in a cover band and like keeping my patches to a patch per song. I use my left expression pedal as my 'switching' of effects/amps in the patch and then use the right expression pedal for my lead boosts if I have a solo. works great as I sing and its much easier to rock a pedal than look down and find a button to step on and then rebalance myself to rock out, lol.

Anyway, On one patch specifically, I get a popping when switching between Amps using this technique. I can't figure it out as the bypass modifiers are the same as all my other patches which sound fine. It pops going both directions which to me mean one is disengaging before the other engages, but like I said, modifiers are the same as other patches.

Any ideas?

Hey, I dont have an AFXII, but I use this concept on my Ultra as I play in a cover band and like keeping my patches to a patch per song. I use my left expression pedal as my 'switching' of effects/amps in the patch and then use the right expression pedal for my lead boosts if I have a solo. works great as I sing and its much easier to rock a pedal than look down and find a button to step on and then rebalance myself to rock out, lol.

Anyway, On one patch specifically, I get a popping when switching between Amps using this technique. I can't figure it out as the bypass modifiers are the same as all my other patches which sound fine. It pops going both directions which to me mean one is disengaging before the other engages, but like I said, modifiers are the same as other patches.

Any ideas?

you could try a different technique and put a volume block after each amp with inverse curves for your pedal. this way, you're not actually bypassing the amps

Clarky, would you be willing to share that preset for the soundcloud clip? Im curious to see how you configured everything...I'm really into blending between clean and dirty. Great thread.

I have the AXE FX II and am the only guitarist in band and have no keyboardist or anything else besides vocals drums and bass. I have never had an issue with switching having too much drop out?? Guess some people are ultra picky??

I do this sort of thing by using a mixer and morphing between two amps (one clean one drive) with an expression pedal. So I can also use the 'in between' sounds to taste on the fly.

But what is the advantage of this method from Adam over normal Amp X/Y switching? When I use amp X/Y switching I most of the time hear a pretty loud 'plop' sound. Very annoying. This is a solution for that but it will increase the CPU also. But I'm way behind on the firmware (5...ouch!). Maybe newer FW updates have solved this amp X/Y switching noise problem?

...what is the advantage of this method from Adam over normal Amp X/Y switching?
The advantage is that you don't get this:

When I use amp X/Y switching I most of the time hear a pretty loud 'plop' sound. Very annoying.

As the thread title says, this is a "Tip for amp switching with NO drop out whatsoever."

what do guys mean with drop outs? is that the loud plop noise that I am experiencing with amp x/y switching?
what is causing this and why hasn't this problem been solved in newer FW? it is very annoying. Try recording with this.

Last edited:
There shouldn't be more than a brief dropout—a small fraction of a second—when you switch the amp block from X to Y. Is your X/Y switching more than just the amp block? Does it happen when you use the front panel, or just when you're using an external controller?

the loud plop happens also when switching amp X/Y on the front panel. Also when switching just the amps. I have tried everything but still that annoying plop noise.

the loud plop happens also when switching amp X/Y on the front panel. Also when switching just the amps. I have tried everything but still that annoying plop noise.

Already answered.

If by "normal switching" you mean there should be absolutely zero dropout when changing between presets I'm afraid that's not possible and never will be. Unless we can come up with a device that reads your mind and knows that preset you're going to load next there is always going to be SOME amount of time required to load the new parameters. During this time audio should be muted to avoid nasty artifacts.

Computing enhancements in the future will probably allow us to reduce the switching time. As far as I'm aware it's already class leading. In the mean time... use this solution.

X/Y still has a small dropout. Minor issue for some folks, bigger issue for others.

No. Dropout means that there is NO sound for a while(no guitar no pop no sound whatsoever) because of change of settings and the "computer" has to do some stuff that takes some time. The dropout is shorter when doing x/y switching inside a preset than when changing between different presets.

When you(Bodde) are talking about "loud plop"that seems to be something that other users don't experience.

Back
Top Bottom