[TIP] Andy Wood's Doubled Guitar Method

biggness

Power User
Came across this video, and thought it was worth sharing.

Basically, for some double tracked sounding guitar tones:

After amp/cab, use a mono digital delay with time set to 10ms, feedback 0, and echo pan set 100% left.

Then follow that with the enhancer block with stock settings.

Pitch block is what I would use. You can add some detune in and if you want to really get fancy you can tie the amount of detune to something like the envelope controller to emulate The variation you might get from a real double tracked guitar. You can add delay in this block as well.

Came across this video, and thought it was worth sharing.

Basically, for some double tracked sounding guitar tones:

After amp/cab, use a mono digital delay with time set to 10ms, feedback 0, and echo pan set 100% left.

Then follow that with the enhancer block with stock settings.

Hi Andy man thanks for sharing how to build a double track sound. That is a great video You made Thanks for the tips.
I can’t wait to try it out that sounds awesome

As always thanks for the video Andy. Really miss playing My Curse however its just not in the wheelhouse of the people I play with now. Gotta say it's one of my all time favorite songs to play. Beens so longs since Ive even touched on it, was on my XLII +. And yes it was a hard tone to dial in, never really could get a good pick squeal. May have been a combination of pickup amp selection and too much low end.

I really cant decide on a double track-esque method. The enhancer is kind of cool in that if you play a single string up the neck you can hear frequencies pan from left to right. Matt's MIMIQ pitch block is really wide and sounds great. A dual detune delay panned left and right with slight difference in delay settings is damn cool as well.

I played around with Andy's settings last night with stock cabs. I don't have EMG's in anything so was a JB in the bridge. Sounds pretty killer with the SLO100. However for this song (My Curse) if your trying to trying to nail what you hear as stereo in say headphones the left and right needs to be tweaked bass heavy on one side and a lot less bass and different EQ settings on the other, it's part of what makes it sound wide. Plus it has quite a bit of panning tricks going on like the pick squeal, it pans more to one side.

Damnit man I can't stop playing with that delay for the doubler. 17ms one side or the other with a lowish mix just so much fun. Think I like that better than the Admin M@ MIMIQ.

Adman103 Where in the chain do you place it? I tend to run things like that towards the end after amp/cab.
don't know how I missed this- sorry about that! I currently have it post cab, pre time based effects, but I messed around with it between the amp and cab at one point, sounded great... just not before the amp, cause that sums to mono. I still have the Mimiq in my rig. I don't have golden ears by any means, but it just sounds really good to my ears, and it could be that I'm hearing with my eyes, but to me, the Mimiq still sounds best for this sort of thing.

Enhancer block in classic mode does the haas delay on the left channel up to 20 ms. Likely lower CPU than using a delay block. Multiply the desired delay time in ms by 5 to get the % value for the width parameter (i.e. 14 ms x 5 = 70% width).

Last edited:
Enhancer block in classic mode does the haas delay on the left channel up to 20 ms. Likely lower CPU than using a delay block. Multiply the desired delay time in ms by 5 to get the % value for the width parameter (i.e. 14 ms x 5 = 70% width).
Would that be the same for the Modern enhancer? Just curious, as I heard the Modern version collapses to mono (just in case the sound guy needs it etc.).

No, the modern mode works differently. I believe it uses opposed EQ filtering to make each channel more unique.

Back
Top Bottom