Tip: Adjustable Lead Volume

I like the Null Filter. Mine is set for between 3-4 db.
After I started using the Null, I realized I have been creating my patches a little over 0 VU.
And like as mentioned above if you have Comp on then add Null you can get clipping.
So as I create new patches I keep that in mind and set the output level on the VU meter to just under 0.

Another thing to keep in mind, if using IEM's, when adding a volume boost, you may have a hard time hearing the rest of the band!

Hey Scott P, what software or hardware are you using to get the VU readout?

I would like to go through and see where my presets are at but, not sure what I want to use to register this.

However, I'm guessing that the level meters on my DAW or interface should suffice, correct?

Another thing to keep in mind, if using IEM's, when adding a volume boost, you may have a hard time hearing the rest of the band!

I've ran into that a bunch in the past,.. I've had to live with minimal boost and hope the sound guy is on his game,... too many times I've heard the recordings and the solo comes up about the third of the way into it.. :(

Hey Scott P, what software or hardware are you using to get the VU readout?

I would like to go through and see where my presets are at but, not sure what I want to use to register this.

However, I'm guessing that the level meters on my DAW or interface should suffice, correct?

Looks like Johan answered the question.
Another thing I do is have a SPL meter that I watch as I am setting the output levels on the on AX8 / AXE, VU meters.

I've tried a few approaches, and even just received in the mail 2 of these this1smyne knobs... but I still like using an expression pedal assigned to 12dB range on a FIL or PEQ last in the chain on every patch. My band just has too big of sound range at different times, and we are not mature enough to have songs dialed in with repeatable levels from each instrument in different sections of each song. I did a 3+ hour show last week, 30+ classic rock songs in a variety of styles, and I used 3 patches (dirty Tweed, Marshall, clean) with 3 scenes each for delays and modulations, and an organ patch. Sometimes I need to be way low in the mix to let vocals stand out, sometimes I use the same scene a little more blaring to be a prominent riff or a short lead section. So a fixed dB type solution would never work for me in this setup where every instrument regulates their own levels and we have no soundboard. Or I would have to create a separate patch for each song, multiple scenes for different song parts, but that sounds like a pain in the @ss for me as a hobbyist, and too inflexible with how much we change stuff.

Back
Top Bottom