Timing on availability of exact specs/photos of FC-6/12

Yep, these are looking better and better with the per preset layouts! Would be nice to know the dimensions and would REALLY be cool to see a pic of the strips reversed with the black background and white text.:D

man..... if we’ve got per preset layouts I’m thinking of just going with the FC6 again!

If we can also do a press and hold and bring up another layout of switch assignments as needed, and there are 4 layouts per preset that is 24 assignable switches, nicely labeled with scribble strips, per preset!!?? Wow....

Add some basic external switches for preset up/down as Ian suggested and there seems like little the Fc6 couldn’t do

One layout with scenes 1-6, one layout with stomp box style on/off per effect, dynamically changing per the preset selected, and then maybe a layout with looper controls or something... I can’t really think of how I’d ever need more than that as anything wouldnt be more than two button presses away.

I just play at home so I don’t really need scenes and effects and looper and presets etc all instantly accessible, I’m fine pressing a button to go into looper controls etc

Fc12 still seems a better overall value, but if it’s 48 switches possible per preset what would I even do with that ? Let’s face it, I’m usually using just one or two scenes most of the time lol

It’s totally user- and workflow dependent.

I prefer having everything immediately available at my feet, if possible. That’s why I have a 22-button controller, currently.

Who knows, I may end up using that controller AND and an FC simultaneously. :))

It’s totally user- and workflow dependent.

I prefer having everything immediately available at my feet, if possible. That’s why I have a 22-button controller, currently.

Who knows, I may end up using that controller AND and an FC simultaneously. :))
I would spend more time just trying to remember what ever button did and where it was at.

Thanks for the reply Ian. As a preset maker, I have some more specific questions about how this is implemented.

Does this mean that the switch functions cannot be saved with the preset, like they can with the AX8? Each one of my AX8 presets has its own switch assignments. With maybe a few exceptions, each one is unique to that preset and its needs. For example, in one preset I may want 4 scenes and 2 effect on/off switches, in another preset I may want 2 scenes, one control switch, and 3 affect on/off switches.

Would these (per preset) switch layouts be saved with the preset and passed on to the buyer? Or will the buyer have to program the recommended switch layout as one of their 12 custom layouts? And would that 'tie my hands' as to how many different layouts that I can use across hundreds of presets? Or is one of the 12 global options a 'per preset' option?

I would love to be able to go with the FC-6 in order to get the size of m y board smaller. But honestly, I am having a hard time imagining how the new features of the III and the FC's work and how I would build and use my presets.

I tend to like to have everything available to me but end up not really needing to use everything.

I would absolutely love to see some examples of workflows/setups in action to help me learn and decide.

Can I assume that the four LEDs around each footswitch can indicate what channel you're on for an effect? For example, you have Drive 1 assigned to a switch and pressing the switch turns the block on/off and pressing and holding would cycle through the four channels with each of the quadrants representing a channel? If so, very cool!

that would be a great assumption. I would have never thought of that. Hope its the case!

I’m guessing the FC12 is the same width as the MFC.
I hope that it's just a bit wider.

Or, to be more precise:

I found that the horizontal distance between the footswitches on the MFC wasn't quite far enough; I was constantly at risk of accidentally brushing an adjacent switch with the edge of my foot, and winding up with an unintended Effect, or unintended Scene Change, or (worst of all) an unintended Program Change! :eek:

So, I was hoping that there'd be an extra quarter-inch distance, center-on-center, between the switches on the FC-12.

That should help alleviate the problem.

I hope that it's just a bit wider.

Or, to be more precise:

I found that the horizontal distance between the footswitches on the MFC wasn't quite far enough; I was constantly at risk of accidentally brushing an adjacent switch with the edge of my foot, and winding up with an unintended Effect, or unintended Scene Change, or (worst of all) an unintended Program Change! :eek:

So, I was hoping that there'd be an extra quarter-inch distance, center-on-center, between the switches on the FC-12.

That should help alleviate the problem.

Who are you? Bigfoot? ;-)

that would be a great assumption. I would have never thought of that. Hope its the case!
From the pics Cooper Carter posted it doesn't seem to be the case, and it's probably a feature that can't be added with a firmware update.
What could be added in the firmware, though, is the ability to custom name channels or blocks and show them on the small screens (hopefully scene names too)

Who are you? Bigfoot? ;-)

Bigfoot? There are several of us out there.

I find that a lot of controllers have very close-spaced buttons, which isn't a problem at home. But as lead vocal and lead guitar, sometimes I find needing to use the foot controller while playing and singing challenging... especially due to the unpredictability of some stage setups at some of the venues we play, the pedal board might not be exactly where I normally have it, and it can be challenging to see over my gut -erm- guitar.

Externals for preset and bank changes seem very attractive. You don't need them to sync state. They just need to be simple momentary switches to do their thing. If the unit allows for short/long press detection on the external switches too you can even stack tap tempo and tuning on them. We shall see, eh? Mmmm....

Is this meaning that I’ll need more switches other than provided to replicate what I can do natively on the MFC101? :(.

I truly don’t want to buy more gear for a footboard. A large driver of getting the MFC was to consolidate/economize and be more efficient.

I agree with others in so much as it would be very helpful to see some real world examples of some of these layouts.

I’m a very literal person and so sometimes with my foggy brain it’s hard to conceptualize what’s possible with all these permutation options.

I realize there are lots of very clever people here… So I’ll wait and see, but the info in here has me doubting if I placed the right order on the waitlist with fractal (six or 12) - How do I know which is the better option for me?

I’m sort of like yek where I like to see all options at one look and not page within a given preset.

Last edited:
From the pics Cooper Carter posted it doesn't seem to be the case, and it's probably a feature that can't be added with a firmware update.
What could be added in the firmware, though, is the ability to custom name channels or blocks and show them on the small screens (hopefully scene names too)
That's not a hope, it's already confirmed that the labels are customizable.

Why do you assume the individual LEDs can not be controlled? From a couple of pictures... You're making a big assumption of how this was implemented.

I find that a lot of controllers have very close-spaced buttons, which isn't a problem at home. But as lead vocal and lead guitar, sometimes I find needing to use the foot controller while playing and singing challenging... especially due to the unpredictability of some stage setups at some of the venues we play, the pedal board might not be exactly where I normally have it, and it can be challenging to see over my gut -erm- guitar.

^^^ THIS. EXACTLY THIS. ^^^

It's not a problem when I'm ONLY playing guitar.

But when I'm singing a vocal at the same time?

In that case, I have to remain so close to the mic that I can't even see where my toes are going; it's all by feel.

I suppose what I need Is a big convex mirror, like those at blind curves. Set it up about 3 feet high at my 2 o'clock position, and canted to just the right angle...and I should be able to see what my feet are doing while keeping my mouth close-enough to the mic.

Or, y'know, they could just space the buttons an extra quarter-inch farther apart. :D

Same boat here (singer/guitarist). I usually wear Converse low tops because they are narrower than other shoes and I can feel the switches through the soles.

Hey, folks, I need a clarification about color-changing backlighting on the scribble-strips:

I saw where Randalljax asked,
So are the scribble windows white
Or are they colored
I am kind of confused
...and Rex replied,
Player's choice.

BUT, every time they post a photo of the FC-6 or FC-12, the LCD scribble strips always have a blue-gray background.

Was Rex correct about this? Are the LCD scribble strips backlit with different-colored lights so that you can select different colors for the strips (like you can on the RJM Masterminds)?

Or is it, instead, that you can only set the colors of the little 4-part colored circles around the footswitch itself? (Meaning that the scribble-strips are always stuck on that blue-gray color?)

Cliff on The Gear Page:

"The scribble strips are black/white. The font can be either white on black or black on white. The LED rings are different colors based on function."

Why do you assume the individual LEDs can not be controlled? From a couple of pictures... You're making a big assumption of how this was implemented.
He's responding to some people who think it's four individual LEDs around one footswitch. I don't think it is, it's probably one LED per footswitch, a "ring" of light.

Back
Top Bottom