Thoughts on expression pedals

Philthy

Hi guys
New user awaiting delivery of my XL:D
Thinking about an expression pedal.
Appreciate any thought on the pros/cons of the usual suspects?
Thanks in advance

I like the Mission pedals... I now have two spring loaded and one standard. I also have a Boomerang Wholly Roller which is an interesting variation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the Boss FV-500, and it's fine other than the big dead spots on both ends of the travel.

I have the Boss FV-500, and it's fine other than the big dead spots on both ends of the travel.
Yeah, I really like the feel of my FV-500... I like big footprint pedals with a lot of sweep travel.
If the feel is the same I will jump to an EV-1 sooner or later just to get rid of the dead spots.

did somebody say fv500?
mfc101_Apr12_zpsuiiznwh2.jpg

posted this a couple of days ago after getting the fifth one.

I now have two spring loaded
i've never really thought too much into this as other than the wah and whammy, i use my pedals like faders...
so i am curious as to what you are using the spring loaded expression to control (i am assuming spring loaded means the pedal always default to a heel down position when your foot is off)?

I'm interested in fractals pedal and may try. The Boss is great and have three... But yes it does have dead spots. Not a deal breaker though.

did somebody say fv500?
mfc101_Apr12_zpsuiiznwh2.jpg

posted this a couple of days ago after getting the fifth one.

i've never really thought too much into this as other than the wah and whammy, i use my pedals like faders...
so i am curious as to what you are using the spring loaded expression to control (i am assuming spring loaded means the pedal always default to a heel down position when your foot is off)?

Yes... Wah on one and whammy (actually, a custom created pitch block, but same general idea) on the other. I have both in all presets i use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the Mission pedals... I now have two spring loaded and one standard. I also have a Boomerang Wholly Roller which is an interesting variation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been curious about the Wholly Roller. What are you using it for? Seems like it would be good for a set-it-and-forget-it type controller as I assume it's less prone to getting accidentally bumped.

I've been curious about the Wholly Roller. What are you using it for? Seems like it would be good for a set-it-and-forget-it type controller as I assume it's less prone to getting accidentally bumped.

I had it set to control the looper volume, but right now i don't have it assigned to anything since i just picked up the 3rd Mission pedal.

The Wholly Roller is a cool idea, but yeah, I think mostly for things that don't need frequent changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank for the replies
Re the Boss - should I explore the High or the Low impedance unit?

both do the exact same thing in regards to Expression Pedal usage.

if you ever see yourself needing an analog volume pedal for the output of the Axe or similar devices, get the Low.

if you ever see yourself needing an analog volume pedal for your guitar to an amp or similar, get the High.

I had the Boss 500 and I liked the deep sweep and large form factor. I could not stand the dead spots.
The Fractal unit is like a Rolls Royce. Much better sweep, very tight control. Totally the best pedal I have for Volume and effect mixing. For Wah, I still use Mission.

Kind of out of the norm for Expression pedals but I have been and am still looking at the db Instrument Expression pedal.

the missions seem to be somewhat of the standard for most Fractal users i see on here. Plus features like the spring load you can't really go wrong

the missions seem to be somewhat of the standard for most Fractal users i see on here. Plus features like the spring load you can't really go wrong

Can't do a "cocked" was sound with a spring loaded pedal. But the regular mission is cool for Wah.
Still, more people should check out the new FAS pedal. It's really a great piece of engineering.

Back
Top Bottom