This wait is unbearable, assist me with a discussion about headphones for the AFXII.

I've bought a new lava cable (red, coiled) and more V-Picks to prepare myself for my AXe FX II. But, living in the UK, I must wait until October.

Anyway, I have some M-Audio BX5a monitors and some £20 AKG headphones. I prefer playing through headphones as there are other people living with me, and I suck at guitar :p and they sound alright to my ears with my Guitar Rig 4. But I don't want to buy the Axe and then play through cheap headphones.

So what I'm asking is: which headphones would be best for the Axe? £200 is the max I will spend.

Thanks in advance guys!

I like the Beyerdynamics DT-880 Pro. I've found them for just under $200 and like them with everything.

The AKG k240 Studio has been around for years and run about $100. They're a great headphone for the price.

The AKG k240 Studio has been around for years and run about $100. They're a great headphone for the price.

These sound good to me. I have a set and use them. Sound good enough compared to my Rokit 5's and they are comfotrable too.

I have Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. They are tight as freakin hell and make my head feel like it's in a vice after 10 minutes. I don't think I have a big basketball head or anything, I just can't adjust them to where they're comfortable. They sound pretty good though. YMMV.

I have a pair of sennheiser hd 280 pro's and I love them. These can be worn for days without ear or head fatigue. the guy above me didnt feel the same.

Last edited:
I have Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. They are tight as freakin hell and make my head feel like it's in a vice after 10 minutes. I don't think I have a big basketball head or anything, I just can't adjust them to where they're comfortable. They sound pretty good though. YMMV.
haha, I think you have a BIG head. My head isn't small....lol

I own both the akg studio 240 and the sennheiser hd 280 and prefer the 240s because they're a lot bearable to have on and sound better imo. Maybe It's because I like open backed headphones more. If you want something that isolates sound, get the 280s. Ymmv

Last edited:
I own both the akg studio 240 and the sennheiser hd 280 and prefer the 240s because they're a lot bearable to have on and sound better imo. Maybe It's because I like open backed headphones more. If you want something that isolates sound, get the 280s. Ymmv
maybe thats what I like about them. also, amazing for gaming. :p

Beyerdynamic DT880. I compared them side by side to the Senns and chose them for comfort.

I've bought a new lava cable (red, coiled) and more V-Picks to prepare myself for my AXe FX II. But, living in the UK, I must wait until October.

Anyway, I have some M-Audio BX5a monitors and some £20 AKG headphones. I prefer playing through headphones as there are other people living with me, and I suck at guitar :p and they sound alright to my ears with my Guitar Rig 4. But I don't want to buy the Axe and then play through cheap headphones.

So what I'm asking is: which headphones would be best for the Axe? £200 is the max I will spend.

Thanks in advance guys!

I hear ya bro. I try to keep my self busy as to not think so much about the AXE2.

I also have AKG240M and Senheiser 280 Pro. They are both fine headphones but for untimate isolation the 280Pros.

haha, I think you have a BIG head. My head isn't small....lol

I think the whole Senn line is a little tight. I have the HD 650 and though I don't have a big head, I find they are just the perfect fit for me. Any tighter though and they would be uncomfortable. SO I can see how people with larger heads might feel that way.

On the other hand, I have a pair of Grado GS1000i that at their smallest setting just fits. Any larger and they would be too lose. I guess the guys who buy grado's all have big heads. :)

BTW, as for the OP:

The Senns are more natural and give a more accurate representation for mixing etc. My Grado's, while beautiful sounding and my go to's for listening, alter the sound more. I have found this to be true throughout their product ranges. Also the Senns are closed back where the Grados are not so that would defeat the "others not listening to our suckage" theory.

I always tell the same thing to my friends who ask. Figure out your budget which you have done. Look at the price ranges on the net and make a list of the 3 or 4 you have researched and go to some brick & mortar audifile retailer and try them side by side. Bring examples of the music you like as well. It's the only way to really compare. You may find something in a cheaper model that actually sounds better to you. You may even find something you must have thats a tad more in the store but may be had in your range on the net. You can take all our advice on what we like and choose one and no doubt be happy as they are all great choices. It's all about personal preference and you just wont know the differences unless you do ears on comparisons and preferably with known media. My 2 cents anyway...

Last edited:
The big thing with cans is to get a set that are as transparent as possible. Given their nature, they ALL tend to color the sound to varying degrees. Take the back off of closed-ear and they sound different. Move the transducers around and they sound different. Isolation, noise-cancelling, open-back.. etc. all compensate internally for what you hear.

I'm no expert, but if you plan to play, listen or tweak presets - you need a set that are comfortable and as close to FRFR as you can get. Beyond that, anything you tweak will not sound the same thru other amplification methods.

The big thing with cans is to get a set that are as transparent as possible. Given their nature, they ALL tend to color the sound to varying degrees. Take the back off of closed-ear and they sound different. Move the transducers around and they sound different. Isolation, noise-cancelling, open-back.. etc. all compensate internally for what you hear.

I'm no expert, but if you plan to play, listen or tweak presets - you need a set that are comfortable and as close to FRFR as you can get. Beyond that, anything you tweak will not sound the same thru other amplification methods.

Couldn't agree more. That is exactly why I play and mix with the Senn's. For me they are the most transparent of my 3 sets. The others I use for listening as they definetly have their "sound" to them.

Couldn't agree more. That is exactly why I play and mix with the Senn's. For me they are the most transparent of my 3 sets. The others I use for listening as they definetly have their "sound" to them.
well we are definitely different because I can't mix with the 280s. Its a tad too much on the high mids for me. They're good for tracking vocals and drums though :)

Back
Top Bottom