This wait is unbearable, assist me with a discussion about headphones for the AFXII.

well we are definitely different because I can't mix with the 280s. Its a tad too much on the high mids for me. They're good for tracking vocals and drums though :)

I guess! :) I have never tried the 280's so I cannot say. Of the 3 I personally own, the Sen HD650's are the most natural while the AKG and Grados tend to color more IMO. Again, we all have different ears.

+1 for Beyerdynamic. I've had a pair of DT770-Pro's (80ohm) for about 4 years now and have been very happy with them.

I have a pair of Ultrasone Pro 550's that kick some serious ass. Way comfortable and tight as hell. At first I thought they had a little too much high end while using my Ultra but when cranked up through the cab it sounded the same...just louder. Made me realize I had too much pres in my patches to compensate for when I was playing low volume.

So I fixed my patches and use the pres on the power amp depending on volume. when I set up a patch with the headphones and use the 4x12 V30 cab it sounds the same when I turn the amp on and crank er up about halfway through my V30 loaded Marshall.

They weren't too cheap but not too expensive either at about $150 or so. Good luck.

I have a Senn HD 280 Pro, and when I first bought them, I thought they sounded terrible compared to some cheapo Sony headphones I had.

Do headphones need to "break-in" at all?

I love my Audio-Technica ATH-M50. Sound great, comfortable, good pice. Best bang for buck cans around IMO.

+1 on these. I have them also and not too expensive over here in Blighty. Think the Ultrasones have been mentioned elsewhere and get a good review. Again, available over here.

Thanks guys, I'm pretty sure I've got plenty to research here. But I have a few questions.

What is the difference between closed and open backed phones?

How can I tell if they are frfr on the net? Just look at reviews? I ask because where I live there are no decent electronics shops for a good hour and a half.

Thanks again though. Love this forum.

Just to throw a spanner in the works:

Has anybody ever tried ANY wireless (IR or radio) headphones that are reasonably acceptable and in any way "HiFi". I hate the way my cable always wraps around the guitar neck, gets in the way of my fingerboard, or get ripped off my ears if i turn around too quickly!

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom