This new firmware sounds great...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looper looper looper looper!!! 3 minutes. Let's do it!!!

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

Read the thread -- cracks me up! The main thing is, ALL THINGS WILL SOUND (EVEN) BETTER, that's the real cake. Anything else is icing and sprinkles.

Cliff, whatever you do, please do NOT touch the JTM45 amp model!!! That thing is more PERFECT than perfection itself!!!

Means no enhancing is possible ??? :lol:lol Hope I'm enough real .
Sound wise not, btw also a lot of usability features where impossible on G1's design.

Edit: of course you could argue about an fx-only mode or amp-only mode and all other stuff, but it has all been discussed.

None of the models have changed.

The new firmware is just some bug fixes plus automatic "high resolution" mode for the amp block. If you only have one amp block in the patch then the amp block runs at twice sampling frequency. Also, the internal bit depth has been increased for many of the filters. All the critical filters now use an extra 8 bits of precision in the mantissa. There is also a minor change to the speaker resonance modeling that increases the dynamic range.

It just happens to sound really good to me.

Mantissa?

That's a term I've not heard in fifteen years since designing my first floating point execution unit on a CPU. Another eight bits is a lot of added precision.

Stoked about the high resolution mode!

Twice the sampling rate, as in 192k? I thought there was already oversampling to 96 applied for antialiasing purposes. 192k seems to be ridiculous for a guitar-oriented application...

Of course, this is by no means a complaint, merely an observation. I've spent a while railing against 192k across digital audio forums; then again, that's also when it's being marketed as a prosumer format (i.e, tracks being released at 24/192.) Definitely curious to hear more about this.

Bravo on the added precision to the mantissa. :)

The new firmware is just some bug fixes plus automatic "high resolution" mode for the amp block. If you only have one amp block in the patch then the amp block runs at twice sampling frequency. Also, the internal bit depth has been increased for many of the filters. All the critical filters now use an extra 8 bits of precision in the mantissa. There is also a minor change to the speaker resonance modeling that increases the dynamic range.

So I was right ;) "All the critical filters.." that must be the Tony Mckenzie ones...

Twice the sampling rate, as in 192k? I thought there was already oversampling to 96 applied for antialiasing purposes. 192k seems to be ridiculous for a guitar-oriented application...
My guess is that running the amp block at a higher sampling rate isn't about anti-aliasing, but rather to more accurately model the non-linear things going on in a pre-amp. It's the Axe II HD! It's about time Cliff caught up with Line 6! (*ducks and runs*)

Wow... Most companies would repackage this as a new machine... Great freakin' work Cliff...

I can definitely see folks wanting to purchase a second Axe2 for dual high res amp sims... Great subtle marketing!!!

Can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom