This is the best sounding thing I have ever plugged into

I didn't want to start a new thread for this but,

I am using the FM9 as an interface. Is there a way to route my computer audio to output 2 so that I can control my guitar volume and usb audio separately?

I didn't want to start a new thread for this but,

I am using the FM9 as an interface. Is there a way to route my computer audio to output 2 so that I can control my guitar volume and usb audio separately?
USB audio is routed to Output 1. Use the USB 1/2 parameter in the setup screen to control the volume of the computer audio. In most practice / recording situations you'd want your guitar and the computer audio to be routed to the same set of speakers or studio monitors, like they would be in a studio environment.

2024-03-27 20_18_37-FM9-Edit.png

If for some reason you wanted to use different speakers for each, you could change the output block to output 2 in your presets and use that for your guitar while output 1 would be for computer audio only.

Just wanted to express how blown away I am by this piece of gear.

I have never plugged in to anything and had it immediately get the best tone I have ever had.
Thank you Fractal.
I agree. This thing is amazing and it only keeps getting better with each firmware update.

I agree!!

In my current environment and configuration, the only thing that Fractal cannot reproduce compared to an actual vacuum tube amplifier is,

Even at high volume and clean, a natural and pleasant feedback phenomenon occurs, so sometimes you can't play by grabbing the chord voicing and gently hitting the guitar neck.

I discovered this characteristic while playing with the Vox AC30 CC1 amplifier, which was previously sold at a relatively low price of $1000, at high volumes. It was very fun.

I think Fractal will probably have the same experience if it is in an environment where high volume and feedback can occur, but...

One day, I'd like to see this kind of feedback occur freely in bedroom volumes as well. :D

USB audio is routed to Output 1. Use the USB 1/2 parameter in the setup screen to control the volume of the computer audio. In most practice / recording situations you'd want your guitar and the computer audio to be routed to the same set of speakers or studio monitors, like they would be in a studio environment.

View attachment 137678

If for some reason you wanted to use different speakers for each, you could change the output block to output 2 in your presets and use that for your guitar while output 1 would be for computer audio only.
Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for.

I was hoping to be able to assign the USB audio to a physical knob on the unit for easy access but in the editor is sufficient. Thanks.

Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for.

I was hoping to be able to assign the USB audio to a physical knob on the unit for easy access but in the editor is sufficient. Thanks.
You can assign that parameter to a global performance control by dragging it to the global performance controls screen. That way you have a front-panel knob control for it, just page right twice on the home screen to access all 10 global performance controls. These and the per-preset performance controls are useful for anything you might want to adjust live, like delay feedback/time for spaceship noises, etc.

2024-03-28 11_50_27-.png

Last edited:
You can assign that parameter to a global performance control by dragging it to the global performance controls screen. That way you have a front-panel knob control for it, just page right twice on the home screen to access all 10 global performance controls. These and the per-preset performance controls are useful for anything you might want to adjust live, like delay feedback/time for spaceship noises, etc.

View attachment 137715
Holy heck this device just doesn’t stop impressing me! You can really do anything on this. Thanks for showing me how to do that!

I've been in the Fractal world for a few years now and still often get reminded of how incredible these devices are (I have both an FM3 and FM9). My current high gain tone is just juicy and feels so good. I did a gig this past Saturday and as I was getting ready to tear down I saw the FOH engineer taking pictures of my FM9. I went up to chat and he was just gushing about how good the sound was (sound checks are always fun watching the sound guys react and realize there are really no tweaks they need to make).

I also play in a funk fusion thing and recently decided to take a stab at building a more Robben Ford inspired preset using the ODS Ford. I had used this in the past, but I more or less just grabbed and tweaked the ODS 100 preset. I had totally forgotten how good it sounds (especially with the latest FM9 firmware). Since building that new preset, I keep playing it whenever possible because it is just an absolute joy.

Of course the fact that you can tweak and configure your presets endlessly pretty much means that there are always new things to start doing with your presets (my latest is adding a CS to the amb boost and adding that to my per-preset view). Such a nice boost optionl.

I was wondering if someone could help me with my rig setup:

Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 7.57.37 PM.png

I am trying to get a true stereo signal path with the panning of the "Quad Chromatic" pitch block type. Everything is fine until I turn on one of the drive blocks. I have the Input Select for both of those blocks set to "L+R". How can I achieve this?

Im sure this layout looks insane lol. Im still experimenting.

I was wondering if someone could help me with my rig setup:

View attachment 137744

I am trying to get a true stereo signal path with the panning of the "Quad Chromatic" pitch block type. Everything is fine until I turn on one of the drive blocks. I have the Input Select for both of those blocks set to "L+R". How can I achieve this?

Im sure this layout looks insane lol. Im still experimenting.
The Drive bock processes the signal in mono...only the dry signal remains in stereo.

Are you using more than two of the channels in the Drive blocks? If not, put them in parallel and set the channels identically and have them each process one side of the stereo signal. Similar to what you must have done for the amp blocks.

You can the switch them on/off together using scenes.

Last edited:
The Drive bock processes the signal in mono...only the dry signal remains in stereo.

Are you using more than two of the channels in the Drive blocks? If not, put them in parallel and set the channels identically and have them each process one side of the stereo signal. Similar to what you must have done for the amp blocks.

You can the switch them on/off together using scenes.
No I’m only using one drive block at the moment. I may try that but I’m already running into 80% DSP and the drive blocks seem to take up quite a bit of processing, to my surprise. It seems around 10% DSP. It’s all fine until I switch to the Quad voice on the pitch block, that (understandably) uses a significant amount of processing and pushes me over the 80% threshold when using two drive blocks + quad voice.

Every day I seem to find a new layout philosophy that changes the way I think about everything.

For instance - I’m not even sure running a stereo amp setup is for me. I’m using the same two amps for L/R and it’s not THAT much different than a mono instance with stereo effects after. I also found I don’t like running two different amps in stereo. I found that it looses a lot of that “in your face” right in the middle thing that two of the same amps gives me.

I tried the enhancer on the mono amp and it sounded great and gave me that stereo amp feel as well.

There are just so many ways to go about this.
I’ve learned a lot from this forum and watching G66 videos that I’m not sure I’ll ever be satisfied and in a place where I can’t find something else to tweak.

My greatest fear right now is not learning how to navigate the menus on the actual FM9 if I take it to a gig and need to change something. Times running out, I play a big show April 3. That will be the real test of how comfortable I am with the way I’ve set this up so far.

Back
Top Bottom