This is how close the Axe Fx II can get to a real EVH 5150III

As others said, the only thing i can say is the first one is slightly better, which does not mean it is the axe or it is not ^^

You have to have some insanely great ears to tell the diff on these. I sent that wav to some buds and none of them could tell.... And they're pretty umm... they know their sh*t,

Killa tone match

Here's the answer folks: first is Axe Fx second is EVH!

I have to mention that I could get this close only by setting the same values on both EVH and Axe, if I changed Bass/Mid/Treble/Depth/Presence by 0.5 the difference would have been more perceivable. This means that the Axe is spot-on compared to its real counterpart!
Gain is a little different though, real version was at 8 and had to set the Axe at 4.7 or something like that, maybe if I disconnected the "Saturation" switch on the Axe it would have been 8 too, who knows.
Another reason why I could get this close is because both real amp and Axe were fed by the same guitar DI signal, which is basically like playing them at the same time.

Anyway glad you liked it :D

Last edited:
Here's the answer folks: first is Axe Fx second is EVH!

I have to mention that I could get this close only by setting the same values on both EVH and Axe, if I changed Bass/Mid/Treble/Depth/Presence by 0.5 the difference was more perceivable. This means that the Axe is spot-on compared to its real counterpart!
Gain is a little different though, real version was at 8 and had to set the Axe at 4.7 or something like that, maybe if I disconnected the "Saturation" switch on the Axe it would have been 8 too, who knows.
Another reason why I could get this close is because both real amp and Axe were fed by the same guitar DI signal, which is basically like playing them at the same time.

Anyway glad you liked it :D

Haha.

Would you share the patch now ? :)

I think the studio that reamped guitars with the EVH wouldn't be too happy about it, but it's really nothing special: Drive->Amp->ToneMatch.

This is not a preset made to sound good while playing, it was just an experiment to see how close I could get to the original source. Actually if I started a preset from scratch, accurately tweaked all basic and advanced parameters and chose my impulses wisely, I could have obtained a WAY better tone with the Axe. This was the Axe "going to sound like", not doing his thing.

Really first one sound better (in the mix it will be not noticable at all). I suppose the first one is the amp.

Awesome sound. I would love that tonematch patch to play a bit with it!

Are you sure the studio would mind? Its just us guys here at the forum playing a bit!

Back
Top Bottom