Third-Party MIDI Spec

Has anyone tried sending the query commands listed in doc with success? When I send Get Scene, Query Patch Name, or Query Scene Name via the old fashioned hardware MIDI port, I get an "0x64" error response back from the Axe-FX III.

What exactly did you send? Where did you get the checksum from?

Ah HA! You lead me to the problem. I was preparing an answer for you, documenting my meticulous checksum-generation algorithm, providing my SysEx commands and responses received from Axe-FX III, and mentioning Axe-FX III's firmware version just to be... ...Whaaaaa? Oops, I still had 1.12 firmware in there, not the 1.13beta that the SysEx Document specifies.

Having updated to new beta firmware, now these commands produce the expected responses.

Thank you, thank you, for responding to my post.

Still I'm interested, how is the checksum generated / calculated? Is there any documentation about this? Is it the same algorithms for the II?

Just in case I want to port my midi controller to the II or the III eventually :)

Still I'm interested, how is the checksum generated / calculated? Is there any documentation about this? Is it the same algorithms for the II?

Just in case I want to port my midi controller to the II or the III eventually :)
Same as the II, documented in the wiki i think

Checksum:
Yes, it's the same as for the II. Very simple: XOR all the bytes in your midi message before and up to the checksum byte. AND that value with 0x7F, and boom, there's your checksum.

Makes me realize again that I'm no real coder, I have no idea how to calculate xor, never needed it, never done it. But no worries, I'll find out, no need to hijack this thread any further.

Opportunity to learn something new :)

MC product line is updated to display the Tuner of the Axe-Fx III

Specialized III firmware will be ready in a couple of weeks

MC-10.jpg

@JackEddyCO...
Does “query scene name” just return the name and not actually set the scene... I hope so because a controller will need to loop through all 8 to get these names... wouldn’t want the axefx to actually select/activate through the scenes...

I would try it... but in England... ‘nuff said...

Is there any feature that tells the controller something changed? Like a block state?

And come to think of it...... do we have to loop round “all” the effect IDs every preset change, if we want to correctly show it’s state?
Could the system tell us which effects are in the preset? (Optimise the comms a bit) and infact pretty necessary to be able to show meaningful options to controller user.

How do I select a specific preset/patch?

I’m aware this might be a first drop of support for third parties and I’m very pleased about that, but need more query response pairs to complete the feature...

@JackEddyCO...
Does “query scene name” just return the name and not actually set the scene... I hope so because a controller will need to loop through all 8 to get these names... wouldn’t want the axefx to actually select/activate through the scenes...

Is there any feature that tells the controller something changed? Like a block state?

And come to think of it...... do we have to loop round “all” the effect IDs every preset change, if we want to correctly show it’s state?
Could the system tell us which effects are in the preset? (Optimise the comms a bit) and infact pretty necessary to be able to show meaningful options to controller user.

I’m aware this might be a first drop of support for third parties and I’m very pleased about that, but need more query response pairs to complete the feature...
Whoops... status dump lol

@JackEddyCO...

This kind of protocol diagram could be useful...

And my question about patch selection still stands

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 99
Having updated to new beta firmware, now these commands produce the expected responses.

Hi JackEddyCO
What are you using to receive these responses? I am trying to use some of these custom midi messages...
Cheers
Paul

EDIT: ah please disregard, found midi-ox

Last edited:
I finally got my Axe FX 3 and was greatly intimidated by using my MFC foot controller with midi as I have never programmed with it before.

After studying several diffferent threads I finally got it running perfectly and in the end realized if someone made a 5 minute step by step video doing it, it would save users much frustration. If anybody needs to know from an absolute newbie perspective on how to do this, I am your man for it. I programmed scenes, to wah/volume controllers to effects on/off. Now it is time to finally see what this thing can do!!

PS - There are already several good instructions posted already but as I said a video would make confusing written instructions into very simple steps. Why don't I make said video, you ask? To quote the great Ringo starr, I have too much to do! Peace and love. Peace and love!

Back
Top Bottom