Third-Party MIDI Spec

You can query those as an effect šŸ™‚
My guess is that you are referring at grabbing the AMP and CAB (1,2,3,4) and the active channel (A,B,C,D) or the effectID from the effects buffer? The library does al that for us and is working perfectly.

This request is different:
What we are aiming at is getting the actual name of the AMP or CAB on each channel.

Is that already possible?

My guess is that you are referring at grabbing the AMP and CAB (1,2,3,4) and the active channel (A,B,C,D) or the effectID from the effects buffer? The library does al that for us and is working perfectly.

This request is different:
What we are aiming at is getting the actual name of the AMP or CAB on each channel.

Is that already possible?
No. Itā€™s the same question as ā€œcan you get the name of a drive block modelā€

So is it no longer possible to control Axe-Fx block parameters using Sysex if you use an Axe-Fx 3 or FM3? E.g. if I want to set AMP1 Bass control to 6.5 using Sysex?

So is it no longer possible to control Axe-Fx block parameters using Sysex if you use an Axe-Fx 3 or FM3? E.g. if I want to set AMP1 Bass control to 6.5 using Sysex?
Generally that is correct, unless of course you have developed a great piece of software and signed a NDA. @AlGrenadine #fractool

the third party midi specification certainly does not cover this kind of control.

Generally that is correct, unless of course you have developed a great piece of software and signed a NDA. @AlGrenadine #fractool

the third party midi specification certainly does not cover this kind of control.
Man that really sucks. Axe-Fx 2 worked pretty great with this for hooking up a MIDI knob controller and using that to operate it. I was hoping to do the same for FM3 but I guess not.

Using external controllers just did not work for my use case where I wanted to just add a control method rather than force a preset to use external controllers.

Effect states can also be controlled via a sysex message. This allows ease of control as the various CC numbers need not be programmed into the Axe-Fx IIIā€™s MIDI menu.

This is supported in Axe-Fx III firmware version 1.13 or greater.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't tried to work with this spec, or read any of it.

That said, I think that's exactly what this spec is intended for, integration with and control of the Axe-FX III by third-party devices.
This is a direct quote from the first page of the doc linked in the OP:
Third-party devices can control the Axe-FxIII using standard MIDI commands, i.e. PC, CC, etc. However, the status of effect bypass states, channels, scenes, etc. is not supported by standard MIDI commands. This document outlines the System Exclusive (sysex) commands to query this data from the Axe-Fx III.

Effect states can also be controlled via a sysex message. This allows ease of control as the various CC numbers need not be programmed into the Axe-Fx IIIā€™s MIDI menu.

This is supported in Axe-Fx III firmware version 1.13 or greater.

Note that two different things are being talked about here:
What we are aiming at is getting the actual name of the AMP or CAB on each channel
As I said, I haven't read the spec, but I think I believe the folks who say they have when they say it's not supported.

However, the post I'm responding to was in response to laxu's question:
That I think is NOT correct. The quote above from the spec says that.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't tried to work with this spec, or read any of it.

That said, I think that's exactly what this spec is intended for, integration with and control of the Axe-FX III by third-party devices.
This is a direct quote from the first page of the doc linked in the OP:

Note that two different things are being talked about here:

As I said, I haven't read the spec, but I think I believe the folks who say they have when they say it's not supported.

However, the post I'm responding to was in response to laxu's question:

That I think is NOT correct. The quote above from the spec says that.
Effect states are not effect parameter values

And... I have read and implemented the spec...

Attachments

• 5C07E4F6-CCFE-4518-BD41-636527D2ACFD.jpeg
    5C07E4F6-CCFE-4518-BD41-636527D2ACFD.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
  • ED2DAFC6-AAF9-46FD-A96C-14618BE9C963.jpeg
    ED2DAFC6-AAF9-46FD-A96C-14618BE9C963.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 41
  • 68228684-7C23-40BE-B901-65E9895EA4E3.jpeg
    68228684-7C23-40BE-B901-65E9895EA4E3.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 41
Yeah I'm out. I haven't read this whole thread, should have just kept quite since I don't have enough context, instead of replying to the 3 posts I just read.

Apologies gents, carry on :)
No worries... it is a shame these kind of things arenā€™t possible.

They are, you just have to reverse engineer the actual protocol...
Or Fractal could just provide documentation on how to do it to promote 3rd party integration on their platform so people can create new ways to operate their gear.

I'm sure their client-server protocol is a way better way to operate it than SysEx but it would be nice to offer documentation on how to implement it. Or better yet, provide some example code or a library that makes it super easy to do.

I get that it's not high on their priority list due to few users capable of developing for it but it would be nice to see.

Last edited:
Or Fractal could just provide documentation on how to do it to promote 3rd party integration on their platform so people can create new ways to operate their gear.

I'm sure their client-server protocol is a way better way to operate it than SysEx but it would be nice to offer documentation on how to implement it. Or better yet, provide some example code or a library that makes it super easy to do.
Their client-server protocole is sysex

I get that it's not high on their priority list due to few users capable of developing for it but it would be nice to see.
and there is no requirement for their business to do this, they have their controllers. The third party spec is what it is.

Hey there,

If we figure out how the Sysex works, it cant be implemented in a DIY project unless Fractal gives permission to share the intel in the projects I guess.

Fractal could ask an actual amount that it would cost to give out the Sysex code (like f.i. $10.000) (but that is nothing like Fractal.. best product support ever. To be clear: I hope they won't go down this path.)
Then it could be fundrased here on the forum. If one is not willing to pay for it, the questions about the Sysex will bleed out. But if the fundrasing works, we all benefit and the DIY projects can continue. Lost of ideas to implement or develop but stuck at the moment.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom