Thinking Of Selling My TC G System for the AXE FX 2

Paulg2uk

Power User
Hi all,

So I've been thinking of selling my TC G system for the Axe FX 2 and wondered if anyone out there has done the same? I really am pleased with my g sys but like mose guitarists out there I'm always looking to try out new stuff and improve my rig where ever possible. I've seen a few demos of the Axe FX 2 and I'm fairly curious and impressed. I just wanted to get some feedback from all the axe fx users out there.

Thanks

Paul

I did it. No regrets at all. Although the TC was a good system, integrated and relatively affordable for what it does, the Axe II with a good controller is miles above it in terms of sound, quality and versatility.

I did it. No regrets at all. Although the TC was a good system, integrated and relatively affordable for what it does, the Axe II with a good controller is miles above it in terms of sound, quality and versatility.

Thanks for the response. I still wanna use the AXE FX 2 with my Mesa Mark V is that still possible considering the Axe FX 2 has amp models included?

Thanks

Paul

I was sceptical about Ultra when I first found out but its such versatile box that can surprise when tweaked. I still got few effects which i probably wont sell and use them for the effect but im on a waiting list for II so they might go after it arrives. ;)

Hey Paul, that is what John Petrucci is doing currently and it sounds fantastic in the loop of his MarkV (just saw him in Dallas, TX and it sounded fabulous).
He just uses for effects in the loop and has a second one to use for a rehearsal setup where he uses the amp models (at least that is what he used to have
according to videos online).

I have had the g-system a couple of times and the Axe2 beats it in every category as far as I am concerned...better sounds, easier to navigate..
the best thing about the g-system was the built in relays for amp switching and it looks so cool! but the axe with the mfc101 is an unbeatable combination.
Took the place of eventide, lexicon, and tc pieces in petrucci, vai, and zappa's rigs.

Last edited:
Thanks again guys that helps a lot. Can you guys give any major differences that are better in the AXE FX 2 that you wouldn't end in the g sys?

That was gonna be my next question why the hell is the Axe FX 2 on a waiting list. Is it because its new and they've only made a few? Seems a little weird to me.

Thanks

Paul

Simple answer = the way it sounds is way better than anything on the market atm and way to use it as sound card thats how I see it

why the hell is the Axe FX 2 on a waiting list. Is it because its new and they've only made a few? Seems a little weird to me.
Fractal Audio is a small company, the producer of the AxeFx. They target the high-end market and cannot produce huge quantities of gear like Roland, Line6, Yamaha or Gibson/Fender. There has usually been a waiting time for any of its models after initial release. This applies to the AxeFx-II also. Their approach to 1st-come-first-served was to use a waiting list, as do other "boo-teek" produces of amps and so on. Some guitar models have a 2+ year wait list!
They have ramped up production, but the entire world supply comes from New England, USA.

That was gonna be my next question why the hell is the Axe FX 2 on a waiting list. Is it because its new and they've only made a few? Seems a little weird to me.l

I've often thought about this too. It doesn't seem that hard to get a short term business loan based on pre-orders with deposits to get the necessary supplies and temp staff to build a certain number of units all at once. The upside is that because they are harder to get their resale value stays high, although maybe artificially, due to demand versus supply.

Think of the Axe II like getting a new exotic car. One that can be a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche etc, as the mood strikes.

My main concern is that some bigger player (Roland?) will see the demand and put the resources into a competitive product and kill the demand for the Axe II. Maybe that's already in the works somewhere?

But right now it appears that the Axe II is in a class on it's own.

If you can, hold a g-system and try axe fx II as effect processor first. I ordered Axe Fx II also (I am still waiting ...) and will keep my g-system so long. My experiences with Axe Fx Ultra as effect processor were not so well because I find G-System way more transparent. Ultra sucks tone to much. I need the effect processor mostly for delays and some chorus, phaser, harmony sounds. So in my opinion g-system wins over ultra.

I've had both and a MarkV as well. The G system scores points against the Axe in two areas. It has the loops feature and is it's own floorboard controller. Other than that the Axe is better in my opinion even if it had no amp/cab simulations. More versatile as far as what you can have in the chain like multiple delays, flangers, rotary...whatever, has drive blocks the G System doesn't, Axe has very versatile routing options too. The quality of the Axe effects is at least as good if not better.

I used both with a Mark V and either will work well with it. You could even use the G System as the floor controller for the Axe if you wanted to and incorporate the two devices via the loop in one or the other to make one heck of an effects chain but I find the AxeII is invisible as far as noise and tone suck, the G System requires a lot of care to get everything at unity gain and if you start swapping things in and out of it's loops you need to re-visit that chore of getting things balanced again.

If I didn't have an AxeFxII I'd have a G System again though, it is really great, just not the best for my use (+the amp and cab sims in the AxeFx rule!)

Last edited:
Thanks guys, really helps a lot. Can I still run the 4 cable method like I do with the g sys? I'd really like to use the effects thru the fx loop on the mark v but also be able to use the axe fx's drives etc thru the front end of the mark v. Is that possible?

Thanks

Paul

Hey Paul, the Axe2 or ultra will work in that method (4CM) using the second sets of in/outs with an effects loop block inserted into the effects grid.
There is a humbusting circuitry that cliff has designed to help minimize ground loops and there may be some more features designed to help with this
as well. check out the following:

Output: Humbuster cabling - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Connecting the Axe-Fx II: 4CM with combo/preamp - Axe-Fx II Wiki

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Category:Connecting_to_a_monitor_or_amplifier

Back
Top Bottom