The Ultra - First Strike Is Deadly

Well, I read all your replies, some more polite than others, which I appreciate. The major point is that you guys make very valid err... points about the way I presented my discoveries, and the consensus seems to be that minute detail about what I'm discovering about the Ultra are of minimal interest. Fair enough.

I did like the ideas about changing the presets to a presentation of all the amps with the different cabs+mics combination, with minimal effects. That would be great actually, and very useful.

Oh, and to the gentleman saying: "WTF? This is a review?". Well, just for you, this is:

My Ultra review, the Muffin Wrapper edition:

Pros : It makes sounds
Cons: It costs money

And there you have it :mrgreen:

Deltones said:
Well, I read all your replies, some more polite than others, which I appreciate. The major point is that you guys make very valid err... points about the way I presented my discoveries, and the consensus seems to be that minute detail about what I'm discovering about the Ultra are of minimal interest. Fair enough.

I did like the ideas about changing the presets to a presentation of all the amps with the different cabs+mics combination, with minimal effects. That would be great actually, and very useful.

Oh, and to the gentleman saying: "WTF? This is a review?". Well, just for you, this is:

...who me? :? Hey man :mrgreen: ...no worries...hopefully, you'll enjoy what it has to offer! Make sure you downlaod some cab IR's from the Axechange and try them out with the different amp sims...

ElectricPhase said:
The problem is that there are plenty of Axe buyers who (1) aren't programmers by trade, (2) don't have a history of using rack gear, and (3) have little patience. It's that group that would benefit from a vanilla approach. Just the basics, and then build.

Well said. The whole experience might be improved if there were some kind of "Start Here" beginner presets, similar to the classic analog simulation configurations that have been discussed elsewhere. I'm not as much a tweaker as many others here but every time I tweak I have no problem finding usable sounds - the problem is that I cannot tweak with intent yet. I can't define a sound and create it from scratch - at least not easily. But I don't blame the unit for my lack of sound design skill. There is a lot to learn in that little 2U box.

cheers,

I liked a great number of the presets. I got the Ultra at 5.14, went through all the factory presets, with the list in front of me. Put a + in front of all presets I liked and rated them 1to5 in gain level. Then 5.23 changed a lot of the sounds. I went through the list again, a number of them got lots better than before.
Then Cliff brought on 6.0 and I'm stuck again cause they all sound different...

I like Scott Petersons presets a lot, but they're hardly simple.

GuitarDojo said:
Yea...but have you plugged your guitar in it yet? :p
Once you do..... Game Over! :p

Naaa man, I'm trying to do the brootalz only with my brain waves connected to the spdif input. Pure thrash I tell you, Nuclear Assault would be proud :D

Yeah, I played with the Ultra for about 2 hours yesterday. I downloaded the editor and will start creating with it. By the way, hats off to the guy who wrote that program. Pretty cool.

Oh, since it's not officially released yet, what were the announced changes for 6.05, since that's what I have in my Ultra?

Deltones said:
GuitarDojo said:
Oh, since it's not officially released yet, what were the announced changes for 6.05, since that's what I have in my Ultra?

The million dollar question. Cliff, what do you have to say for yourself?. Holding out on us? :D

By the way, I just want to add that the wheel and knobs, to ME, feel great. I own gear that's more than 2x the price of the Ultra which doesn't feel as well made. YMMV.

-m@

DaveP said:
Deltones said:
The million dollar question. Cliff, what do you have to say for yourself?. Holding out on us? :D
My guess is a couple of minor bugfixes. It was up on the site very shortly after a few were reported with 6.04, but it is just the bare .syx (no release notes). And so it's not in the Wiki yet, since it's not really officially out.

Deltones said:
GuitarDojo said:
Yea...but have you plugged your guitar in it yet? :p
Once you do..... Game Over! :p

Naaa man, I'm trying to do the brootalz only with my brain waves connected to the spdif input. Pure thrash I tell you, Nuclear Assault would be proud :D

Yeah, I played with the Ultra for about 2 hours yesterday. I downloaded the editor and will start creating with it. By the way, hats off to the guy who wrote that program. Pretty cool.

Corrected values for the CAE lead model and bug fix for the trapezoidal waveform.

Deltones said:

LOL this had me laughing in tears :lol:

Thanks for the chuckle. "Muffin Wrapper Edition", indeed....

Wow, this was a great thread - I enjoyed many laughs! I respect all reviews as everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Life sure would be boring if we were all the same and agreed all of the time. Way to keep it real gents!

javajunkie said:
Corrected values for the CAE lead model and bug fix for the trapezoidal waveform.

Ok thanks. Well, one thing I can confirm is that the amps selection is no different than what is currently on the Wiki page, so no surprise goodies for people with the 6.04 version in that department.

Oh, and quick note. While playing tonight with the presets I didn't have time to try last time, I found out a few where the basic construct of the sound made me go "Hmmm... yep, I think I'll be able to get close to what I want with this thing".

So cough it up, pool guy, you owe me some greenbacks :mrgreen:

Deltones said:
Hearing some simulation of elfs walking around the forest of Mordor has no value as far as I'm concerned.

:lol:

yer i was the same, most high gain presets didn't impress me too much
it turns much better when you find a patch you kinda like and then tweak the hell out of it

have a look at the cabs/mics especially, when editing a patch

PS. i like nearly all those elf presets :geek:

Deltones said:
javajunkie said:

Ok thanks. Well, one thing I can confirm is that the amps selection is no different than what is currently on the Wiki page, so no surprise goodies for people with the 6.04 version in that department.

Oh, and quick note. While playing tonight with the presets I didn't have time to try last time, I found out a few where the basic construct of the sound made me go "Hmmm... yep, I think I'll be able to get close to what I want with this thing".

So cough it up, pool guy, you owe me some greenbacks :mrgreen:

If our paths cross then drinks are on me. :)

Back
Top Bottom