The thread about adding profiling is gone

I didn't read Cliff saying when or in what form. It may take more hardware, which would make it something else entirely. I bought the Axe-Fx II AND the Ultra. I actually EXPECT firmware updates and I generally expect them to be free. These are enhancements for the box that we have. NOT something we don't have. AFAIK most companies provide fw updates for free. I know Metric Halo does and almost as often as Fractal. But a MAJOR change up in functionality, as an upgrade, is a whole 'nuther kettle of fish. No one but Cliff knows what that may entail in terms of research, cost, man hours and whether or not the current II has the hardware or DSP for it. I doubt that it will be a mere firmware update. And I'd expect to pay for it. That makes this a new box.

I, for one, am happy with the box I bought. I didn't buy a profiler/convolution IR box. I would have bought the Kemper. Well OK, I bought part of one. I mean it seems otoh that the AFII is partially there now anyway. And my guess is that Cliff already developed his own brand of it, so it MAY just be a hop ,skip and a jump. But geez. Let's not be ungrateful

I mean come on. Let's not sound like a room full of spoiled brats here. No wonder Cliff had to take a break form us all.

Last edited:
Cliff, don't mention features that are coming, just mention something when it's pretty much ready ready to go. Just like you did with the Axe-Fx II(but be sure to leave out the countdown!!)

I have spoken, end of discussion.

You're basically saying you don't trust Cliff Chase to follow through on his statement that the AXE-FX II will soon have profiling. Suit yourself.

Do you realize how creepy you sound when you keep typing his full name like that?

For heaven's sake. Buy an Eventide or a Line 6 product sometime and see if you even get a fraction of the support and customer interaction that you get from Fractal. Stop acting like a bunch of entitled children.

You're basically saying you don't trust Cliff Chase to follow through on his statement that the AXE-FX II will soon have profiling. Suit yourself.

No, that's not what I said. Strawman fallacy; you are overstating an exaggeration of what you see as my position in order to knock it down.

I can assure you, that's not my opinion nor is that my assertion.

How about instead of putting words in everyone's mouth, you simply play your guitar and have some fun with what you have right now.

No, that's not what I said. Strawman fallacy; you are overstating an exaggeration of what you see as my position in order to knock it down.

I can assure you, that's not my opinion nor is that my assertion.

How about instead of putting words in everyone's mouth, you simply play your guitar and have some fun with what you have right now.

Damn!!! I knew I was missing a key ingredient. I have no guitar. No wonder I couldn’t get this darn Axe-FX to work as advertised!

Thank you thank you thank you!!! :?

With all the threads that have been canned due to this... I wish Cliff never said a damn thing... and I bet he wishes that as well

Wow, I guess that I just assumed that the other thread was shutdown because of outsiders threadcrapping....my apologies to them.

I love speculating about stuff as much as anyone, but there's nothing to be gained by arguing over any of it. Save the fighting until after we really see what happens and then we can bloody each others noses over it.

I mean I'm looking at multiple pages of just pure crap here arguing over a sentence. One sentence that will change the world forever? One sentence that will cure cancer? One sentence that iwll destroy the planet? No, one sentence about a feature that is being worked on with a very specific deadline of "soon". Soon is subjective. Soon in that sentence means "when I'm done with it and release it". Until then we know nothing and have probably killed any chances of getting any real specifics because it would probably result in a charges being filed for inciting a riot.

Chill out. The AxeFX still works. I mean talk about it, hell I want to talk about it, but I don't want to argue about it. I've got about 3 posts I've deleted before posting them because I feel like I'm walking through minefield and the wrong word will set them all off. I like my legs.

For those of us that are bedroom/basement players; though the profiling technology looks really cool, I can't quite get my head around what a player like me would do with it. Like many, all my amps were sold a long time ago when I first got an Ultra and I don't have any intention of going back to them. If I was to vote on where the limited amount of FAS resources go I'd pick modelling since if modelling were to ultimately become 100% perfect, no one would need to purchase an amp/cab to profile. Sorry to show my ignorance as I probably have missed some key fundamentals about what profiling can do.

You don't need to have your own amps to profile - pretty much anyone who owns a Kemper is posting their profiles. Just download the profile, try them out, mod them, capture the cabinets. If you don't like a particular profile, delete it. Ive already downloaded about 200 profiles - clean, crunch, gain and high gain. Most sound excellent. Pretty simple process.

And as far as needing to do multiple profiles for different tone stack and gain settings, at the present, tone stacks have not been profiled, but that feature may be implemented in future firmware updates. In any case, the gain and tone stack knobs have an excellent affect on the profiles and while I cannot say they are 100% accurate to the real amp, they do the job.

For those of us that are bedroom/basement players; though the profiling technology looks really cool, I can't quite get my head around what a player like me would do with it. Like many, all my amps were sold a long time ago when I first got an Ultra and I don't have any intention of going back to them. If I was to vote on where the limited amount of FAS resources go I'd pick modelling since if modelling were to ultimately become 100% perfect, no one would need to purchase an amp/cab to profile. Sorry to show my ignorance as I probably have missed some key fundamentals about what profiling can do.

If it's possible to share profiles like it is to share ir's and presets, then you would be able to use a profile created by someone else. I think the benefit is that in some cases profiles may sound better for key elements of the sound that we expect to hear in an amp. You are right that if modeling becomes 100% perfect, there won't be a need for profiling... however, even with 100% perfect modeling, it doesn't mean that you'll know the exact combination of settings to replicate your favorite amp sound. So profiling could get you there very quickly even if it's not 100% accurate.

Personally, I'm looking forward to this. I find the Kemper appealing but I don't want to shell out the money to have one. I'm looking forward to using other people's profiles (if they are shareable). Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to contribute to profile creation due to lack of amps. It will be fun to capture an amp and then try to replicate it side by side with modeling. It will be an incredible learning experience for me. It's hard enough trying to replicate sounds from full song recordings, youtube clips, and memory. If the modeled version can replicate the profile, then I could toss the profile.

If Fractal implements profiling (assuming he is legally able to considering Kemper's patent)...
To my knowledge, Kepmer only has a patent pending and if Cliff uses a different technique it would be irrelevant even if granted. I would be really surprised if Cliff's version used the exact same technique as the KPA.

I just used a sweep generator and some noise to tune a notch filter at work about 2 weeks ago. I injected the signals, read the responses and tuned based on those readings. This was on a 20 year old transmitter using test equipment that was nearly as old. I doubt that I was infringing upon any patents by doing so. Using sweeps and pink/white noise to measure the response of ANY equipment is not even remotely close to a new thing. So the patent in my personal opinion can't be based on the process of measuring the equipment because its just like me saying that I'm going to patent using a ruler to measure distance. Once again, my oversimplified PERSONAL opinion here.

I haven't read the application for the patent and I'm honestly not really interested in doing so. I do think that the whole patent thing is being way overblown considering we haven't seen anything and it's not even approved...and we're talking about two very different pieces of hardware designed by two very different mad scientists.

There are many cat skinning techniques that we don't even know about yet. They all end up with a cat with no skin. Poor bald cat.

*takes off t-shirt that says "I'm a big fat hypocrite that likes to speculate on the internet"* :mrgreen

Last edited:
I think people spend too much time chasing other people's tones and not enough time finding their own voice. I think the Kemper is a neat idea, but something like that would never replace an Axe-Fx in my rig.

*Hops off soapbox*

I've always been inspired by people who follow their own vision, creative or otherwise. My favorite guitarists are typically so unique that I can hear a few notes and know who is playing.

I bought the Axe for the reason of being able to create MY sound. If a "profile" type feature becomes part of the Axe toolbox it will be exactly that, just one more tool for me to use. I can see it being useful as a starting point for a sound.

BTW the word "profile" doesn't really get me inspired, just saying.

Back
Top Bottom