The thread about adding profiling is gone

Yeah... I think we pretty much have to leave it as simply as that. Previous threads over it got out of control and had to be deleted to calm things down. Too bad.

" profiling will be available soon in the AxeFx II "

Seems the word "soon" on this forum has absolutely no meaning or any sort of an assumed timeframe at all.

I'm going to start using it more in my everyday life. Seems very convenient and has no downside. Cool!!

Seems the word "soon" on this forum has absolutely no meaning or any sort of an assumed timeframe at all.

I'm going to start using it more in my everyday life. Seems very convenient and has no downside. Cool!!

I think your personal literal interpretation of things you read on the internet can only end badly man. Definitely don't go to the movies. The whole "Coming Soon" line they use will no doubt drive you mad. ;)

I think the people going nuts for profiling are just latching on to the current trend. "Oh man, I had modeling, and effects. Then I needed 4CM, and FRFR! Shit, now I need modeling, and DI, and reamping! Wait.. Profiling? HOW CAN I ENJOY MY RIG WITHOUT PROFILING?!"

If profiling never comes to the Axe II, I really won't care. If it does, I'll screw around with it. What I won't do is expect to be able to download lighting in a bottle and stick a USB drive in my rig and immediately get random_dudes_tone_that_i_heard_in_a_mix. The #1 download patch on my site right now isn't Nolly's Ultra patch, or Ola's Axe II patch. It's Bulb's freaking Pod XT patch. I'll go out on a limb and say that of the people that download it, precisely zero of them get even close to the tones they heard that made them want it in the first place.

More features are always awesome, but I certainly don't feel slighted if they take a while, or don't come to light at all. The Axe II does everything it said it would when I bought it, and each firmware rev has added more (amp models, tape delay, etc). For people to come here and trash talk the Fractal guys for not immediately jumping on the new flavor of the month is just childish.

.2c

/breaks ankle hopping off soapbox

Pff, man, cool down. Seems like you're looking for conflicts. Or is this unethical to write?

Well it is pretty much a relative term. Soon to one may mean within hours and to others may mean within weeks etc etc etc

Well it is pretty much a relative term. Soon to one may mean within hours and to others may mean within weeks etc etc etc

That's true. For me there is two ways of using the word. The first one is used when you mean short time or quickly. The second one is used like some said before (for the movies) to create expectation. I actually understood it the first way but the only context I have is what I read from some users quoting it so I have no clue. Maybe someone from Fractal could clarify it.

That's true. For me there is two ways of using the word. The first one is used when you mean short time or quickly. The second one is used like some said before (for the movies) to create expectation. I actually understood it the first way but the only context I have is what I read from some users quoting it so I have no clue. Maybe someone from Fractal could clarify it.

In my humble opinion FAS would be foolish to give any definite time frame with the way so many take it to heart and then go on the flaming wars if for any reason, justified or not, thereis a deviation from it. I took the soon to mean within a few months but again, that is just my relative opinion. It's not a big deal for me regardless so whenever it becomes available I'll check it out as just another cool featureadded to our awesome box. To many others I know it’s a big deal and thereforetheir interpretation of soon is no doubt excitingly shorter. :)

Last edited:

"Soon", (more often than not) can be an ambiguous word. So it is open to different interpretations to whatever or whomever's circumstantial context... agree?... So the word "soon" does mean something here and I think it means something to Cliff. Then it is pending on Cliff's circumstantial context... and he DID NOT elaborate on that. So it's not up to us to speculate on that although some have this nagging tendency to do so in this particular circumstance.

Just let me re-iterate from a prior post,... with all the "bullshit" that has gone on here over this particular announcement, I bet you Cliff wishes he hadn't said a word. I wish he hadn't either for his sake in all the flack he catches from "ingrates" around here. It hasn't been pretty at all within some of the threads that have been deleted.

We really don't need anymore of that as it reflects badly on the forum. Period. And I see this thread is heading in the same direction. I'm done making any more comments on the matter. I'll just be looking for the release announcement... in Cliff's time.

Peace,

Last edited:
Threads like this make me want to bang my head against the wall.

I'm going to go play guitar now at loud volumes. I suggest you all do the same.

I just finished rocking out in my headphones for a while, and came back to find this thread going nowhere fast.

I really don't understand why people blow things totally out of perspective. It's not just guitar forums, you should read camera forums, Nikon vs. Canon, RED vs. ARRI... FFS

Yep Dojo said it along time ago

MY spidey sense is going off.....

12732747211273274722jpg.jpg

It will be ready soon....as soon as he finishes it which will be sooner or later.

I've only been here for a couple of years now and I don't like to put words into Cliff's mouth, but from my personal observations and experiences with things that he says it comes down to two things; one, if he says its going to happen it usually does and two, he's working on it and will release it AS SOON as it's ready. He doesn't sit on this stuff and everyone who's getting fidgety about this new feature that he's adding for free should know this already based on the fact that in the last three weeks he's released more firmware upgrades than AVID and L6 have in the last year combined. And they've got all kinds of issues that need to be fixed let alone have new stuff added.

Soon is non-specific and about as objective as any word out there. There is no soon o'clock or date on the calendar that all things labeled soon are due. Soon to a five year old and soon to a 70 year old man are going to have two different meanings.

The only thing that I know for certain is that if I was the guy who was having his every word scrutinized and then having them turned against me (and this isn't directed at any one person here; it's been an ongoing theme for a lot of things)....well I sure wouldn't let anyone in on any neat insider information...at least not any time soon. I mean its got to be aggravating as hell to have people taking jabs at him over a feature that he's adding that is above and beyond what any of us bought the thing for in the first place.

On a side note I find it hilarious that people are profiling the AxeFX stuff. I mean wasn't the biggest arguments in favor of profiling the fact that it's capturing a real live amp? Wasn't it supposed to be so much easier/faster to tweak to sound good? Wouldn't profiling this unrealistic device imply that you'd first have to successfully navigate the arduous task of creating a patch...and surviving long enough to profile said inferior creator of unusable noise? I'm not a smart man, but to me that sounds like a duplication of efforts...build the patch in the AxeFXII and then profile the patch and then try to dial it in using the KPA.

I get the idea behind profiling amps and it's a good one. I can't speak for the final product because I haven't touched one. But I'm just wondering if some people don't fully appreciate the entire process creating all of these profiles actually involves. First you have to have the amp. Then the mics. Then you've got to dial in the amp, mic the cab and then capture it. Well the biggest setback right there is that mic'ing a cab is a bit more involved than just slapping an SM57 somewhere in the vicinity of the cabinet. So now you've got to mess with the placement and do it again. Then you've got to refine it and then you can start tweaking it to get it right. There may be less knobs involved on the front panel and a slightly different workflow, but there is still tweaking involved. Biggest difference to me is that one doesn't include me having to own physical gear in order to make a sound.

Yes I do understand the theory behind sharing and uploading/downloading all of these profiles, but two things worry me with that. Number one, I'm relying on someone else to own an amp I want and then to own a profiling system that is compatible with mine and then that they are gong to mic it how I want and then share it. Second one (and I'm trying to word this without being offensive, but just to prove a point)....how many IR's have we seen on here since the capture feature was added? I mean that's been around for a while now and I haven't seen tons of IR's from that.

With all of that negativity out of the way I still think that it could be worthwhile and there is a great possibility that I'm wrong and its the greatest thing ever and we're all overwhelmed with amazing tones. But in order for that to happen we should probably let the one guy who can make it happen in the first place work on it until it's right. So just relax, you know he's not going to get it working and then not get it out there almost immediately.

Perhaps he just meant soon after he gets it done.

I'm not even convinced I remember Cliff using the word 'soon' in that quip.. I recall it as "FWIW, we are working on our own profiling" ... Or something like that. I still expect we'll probably see it happen 'soon'!

Cliff said:
FWIW, our own profiling will be available soon for the Axe-Fx II.
;)

Soon is very relative. I've been a member on iRacing before and "soon" is constantly made fun of, cause it means "between 3 months and 2 years" over there :mrgreen We can consider ourselves very lucky here!!

Last edited:
No, that's not what I said. Strawman fallacy; you are overstating an exaggeration of what you see as my position in order to knock it down.

I can assure you, that's not my opinion nor is that my assertion.

How about instead of putting words in everyone's mouth, you simply play your guitar and have some fun with what you have right now.

That's EXACTLY what I've been doing. You should also take your own advice.

I'm not looking for an argument and haven't even revisited this pretty much pointless thread until today.

I also think the AXE-FX II does a better job at amplifier simulations than profilers. However, my interest lies elsewhere and that's why I see it as a big addition to the AXE. I want to profile non-linear effects for use in the AXE. Example: I use the distortion created by a compressor in my DAW that's very unique. You can't get it with an amp or the AXE. It's not an amp, but it's not something you can capture with an IR because it's non-linear. There are a couple of other strange things I'd like to capture for use in the AXE but they aren't amps.

The profiling feature will in no way (IMHO) improve upon the amp simulation of the AXE-FX II. How can you get better than perfect? The AXE-FX II to me sounds like a perfect replication of real amps, a few of which I owned at one time. So please don't take my enthusiasm about profiling to mean I think "profiling" is any better than the AXE "simulations". It's not (again IMO). To me it's about profiling some very strange and unique distortion sounds that the AXE (or any amplifier) just won't do. That's all. But for me it would be way cool.

As far as what Cliff said, everyone is entitled to their own interpretation and yours is just as valid as mine even if we disagree. If I mischaracterized your statement I'm sorry. He also said "FWIW". To some it has no worth, to others it has tremendous worth, and I think he recognizes that.

Back to your suggestion - having fun with my guitar and AXE!!! See ya!

Last edited:
;)

Soon is very relative. I've been a member on iRacing before and "soon" is constantly made fun of, cause it means "between 3 months and 2 years" over there :mrgreen We can consider ourselves very lucky here!!

Try being on the Australian Axe-FX II waiting list. My email from July last year said "soon".

Back
Top Bottom