The thread about adding profiling is gone

A shill and a pop tart walk into a bar...

Edit: the post I was commenting on has been removed... thankfully so :)

Last edited:
Much ado about nothing at all.

The possibility was held out...

Possibility?

I recall Cliff saying something to the effect "FWIW the AXE-II will soon have amplifier profiling" (to closely paraphrase - I don't have a photographic memory so don't hold me to it word for word).

Not to be argumentative, but a profiling feature IMHO is a lot more than nothing - it's huge news and I see no harm in indulging in innocent speculation. As long as the discussion remains civil I see no reason *not* to get excited about a radically different new feature in a firmware upgrade. I think it's little ado about something really big and exciting!

Just my 2 cents!

Peace!

Possibility?

I recall Cliff saying something to the effect "FWIW the AXE-II will soon have amplifier profiling" (to closely paraphrase - I don't have a photographic memory so don't hold me to it word for word).

Not to be argumentative, but a profiling feature IMHO is a lot more than nothing - it's huge news and I see no harm in indulging in innocent speculation. As long as the discussion remains civil I see no reason *not* to get excited about a radically different new feature in a firmware upgrade. I think it's little ado about something really big and exciting!

Just my 2 cents!

Peace!
That's the problem though, once "outsiders" make it their business to come in and create tension and turn it into arguments it gets ugly. I have no problem with it happening on other forums (actually it still irritates me, but those are open forums and the best place to have those kind of discussions...). I mean how many of use AxeFXII users go over to other vendor specific forums and stir things up? Probably not a whole lot and if we did those threads would most likely be deleted as well.

Its not about censorship, it's about the best interests of the forum and keeping it on topic IMHO. This forum should be about the AxeFX line and not a free for all pissing contest for anyone that had their mother mugged by an AxeFXII.

Profile, shmofile, enough already.................................... I've owned the Axe Ultra & now the Axe 2, absolutely the most awesome guitar equipment to come along in the past what 30+ years. Whats there to complain about? Man no matter what you do some people are just NEVER going to be happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Fractal implements profiling (assuming he is legally able to considering Kemper's patent), then I'm hoping it allows one to take a profile and then use that as the basis of a new amp model, where you can mod it just like the current amp models (with Fractals bevy of settings). Think of it like sampling where you can take a sample, then run it through the synths filters, ADSR, amps, LFO, etc. Pretty freakin' cool.

Also, much apologies to CC if any of my posts come off as negative or critical. I've been a Fractal supporter for a long time and continue to strongly believe in the product and company. No harm intended.

Reactions: yek
Scott's " possibility was held out" is in stark contrast to the actual statement Cliff made which was " The Axe-FX II will have profiling soon".
Cliff left no room for doubt in his statement and said it at a time when he knew there was big buzz around the Kemper just starting to ship in the USA. I have no problem with this & call it good business.But you must back it up.

I have said many times that my Axe-II and all it does cannot be replaced by any other current modeler/profiler.
I love the idea of profiling and would love to try Cliffs take on it first, since I already have the Axe-II. So I hope it is relatively soon. If it's not, no problem. I buy a Kemper and my Axe stays. Different enough to keep both for me I recon.

Seems to me the people around here need to get over the "butthurt" that any mention of, or excitement expressed about profiling(a feature that Cliff says is coming,Kemper has gotten people excited about,and Cliff said users seem to want)seems to cause.

When has any firmware update that Cliff has leaked(that people wanted)not been openly talked about and speculated over.
If there wasn't a buzz about profiling out there, Cliff wouldn't have been bothering himself with it.

Well guess what,there is lots of interest, Cliff said it's coming, and it has caused a bunch of people to wait until the Axe gets it before they decide which way to go. What's the problem? And why does profiling talk end up in the lounge? It is not off topic!!

Last edited:
Scott's " possibility was held out" is in stark contrast to the actual statement Cliff made which was " The Axe-FX II will have profiling soon".
Cliff left no room for doubt in his statement and said it at a time when he knew there was big buzz around the Kemper just starting to ship in the USA. I have no problem with this & call it good business.But you must back it up.

I agree. There was no ambiguity whatsoever in Cliff's statement. I bypassed the waiting list and paid the $400 premium the day after I read the confirmation by Cliff that the AXE II will have profiling soon. I want to come up to speed on it and master the operation of the AXE II (was an Ultra owner for years) before the profiling feature comes out. I had actually considered buying a Kemper if they became available before my name came up on the waiting list for the AXE and then buy the AXE II later, but with the announcement last Wednesday about the AXE II getting the profiling feature I decided to pull the trigger on the AXE II the next day and placed my order in time for Friday shipment (UPS 3 Day Select).

My ONLY gripe is the the UPS tracking page is down right now and I can't see the "OUT FOR DELIVERY" notice, although I know it is!!! Today is the day!!! Hyped would be a serious understatement!!!

I also agree - there have been many times that Cliff has mentioned new features that would be in future firmware updates and those were freely talked about in the AXE II discussion forum section without being relegated to the Lounge, but for some reason profiling is being treated very differently by the Forum Administrators and Moderators. I can understand however that perhaps because this feature is such a big addition and there is another competing product that has just been released that the discussion might get contentious and maybe that's the reason.

The Lounge is comfortable enough for me, but a big screen TV and a new sofa would be nice, and maybe a few bikini clad girls serving drinks??? :razz

He said he would be adding a profiling type of feature. He hinted about what it would be. There's been nothing from anywhere about how it will work or in what manner it will be implemented. There was no time frame attached to it.

The moderators are handling nothing. You cannot control content on the Internet. That's always claimed by folks that have zero experience moderating forums. When the forum is trolled or obviously folks are here to do nothing but go off on Cliff in a personal way, those threads/posts will not stand. No more than they would if someone did the same thing to Christoph Kemper on the Kemper forum.

He said he would be adding a profiling type of feature. He hinted about what it would be. There's been nothing from anywhere about how it will work or in what manner it will be implemented. There was no time frame attached to it.

Lets not change Cliffs words, He said "FWIW The Axe-Fx II Will Have Profiling Soon".

Scott, most people would consider this to be some sort of time frame. I guess you don't.

He didn't hint what it would be. He only gave the pros & cons(as he sees it) of modeling & profiling.

He said that he still prefers modeling but because the speaker/cab is not taken into consideration in the modeling process, it can be more difficult for users to get the best results if they don't understand how to choose the correct cab & tweak the speaker resonance controls etc.....

He said that profiling might be preferable for some users because of the more plug n play nature, and he is putting it in due to user demand.

If something is said in a thread that is deemed too personally offensive/crossing the line, then delete only what that person said.

The thread on a promised upcoming feature should not be in the Lounge "OFF TOPIC" section.

Last edited:
Lets not change Cliffs words, He said "FWIW The Axe-Fx II Will Have Profiling Soon".

He didn't hint what it would be. He only gave the pros & cons(as he sees it) of modeling & profiling.

He said that he still prefers modeling but because the speaker/cab is not taken into consideration in the modeling process, it can be more difficult for users to get the best results if they don't understand how to tweak the speaker resonance controls etc.....

He said that profiling might be preferable for some users because of the more plug n play nature, and he is putting it in due to user demand.

If something is said in a thread that is deemed too personally offensive, then delete only what that person said.

The thread on a promised upcoming feature should not be in the Lounge "OFF TOPIC" section.

I stand corrected on what was posted, but you do not understand moderating. It is not as cut and dried as you present it. If the train is going off the rails, the train is going off the rails. You can of course call that into question; but having seen both sides of this for well over a decade (member as contrasted with being a moderator) I can tell you - many times it is just time to flush the drain. This is not a judgment of right or wrong; it's just an observation. You can treat symptoms all day long; or you can kill the disease.

Also, I remember Cliff making the post in answer to a question that was on a thread in the off-topic Lounge. It was not a formal official announcement.

I feel fairly confident that no one other than Cliff knows what Fractal's "version" of "profiling" means. It could, and probably should, be called something else.

In other words PROFILE is just another name for, and a way to re-brand the IR convolution MODEL, using particular algorithm to interpolate sonic variables, from what I gather.

So if Fractal has their own proprietary, HYBRID, IR based algorithm with a mathematical MODEL used to interpolate amplifier variables, then this could get very interesting. I look forward to learning more about it.

If it doesn't get in to the Axe II, so be it. If Fractal decides not to do it, so be it. If it need new hardware to make it happen, so be it.

Neither Cliff, nor Fractal et al, owe you anything other than what you bought when you received your Axe II. If you think so, I suggest you do a reality check on your expectations.

Trust me, I'm no expert, and I'm talking nonsense.

NY Guitarist said:
I feel fairly confident that no one other than Cliff knows what Fractal's "version" of "profiling" means. It could, and probably should, be called something else.

In other words PROFILE is just another name for, and a way to re-brand the IR convolution MODEL, using particular algorithm to interpolate sonic variables, from what I gather.

So if Fractal has their own proprietary, HYBRID, IR based algorithm with a mathematical MODEL used to interpolate amplifier variables, then this could get very interesting. I look forward to learning more about it.

If it doesn't get in to the Axe II, so be it. If Fractal decides not to do it, so be it. If it need new hardware to make it happen, so be it.

Neither Cliff, nor Fractal et al, owe you anything other than what you bought when you received your Axe II. If you think so, I suggest you do a reality check on your expectations.

Wow that is a great post. Best summation I have read.

I agree, you are talking nonsense.

Fractal promises free future firmware upgrades that will extend the the capabilities of the current version of the product, so I do expect something in the future other than what I received today. Read the website.

It would also surprise me based on the historical veracity of Mr. Chase, the things he has said and done in the past, if he made those statements and didn't follow through. I was an Ultra owner for years and can't recall one instance of Cliff Chase not following through on something he said he would implement. Why do you doubt him now?

How will it be implemented? Who knows? Nobody by Cliff Chase. However, the fact remains he said profiling would be implemented in the AXE-FX II in some form, and he said, and I quote, "soon". I read his words VERY carefully and there is no other interpretation. What does "soon" mean? Again, that's anybody's guess, but it certainly doesn't mean "never".

Anything further than the above is speculation, but the above is not. Again, why you (or anybody else) would doubt either the ability or the will of Mr. Chase to include amp profiling in a future firmware upgrade is a mystery to me. Perhaps he will use another name for it. That's fine with me.

Gotta go. It's quitting time and my AXE-FX II awaits removal from its box!!!

Back
Top Bottom