The sale of Axe-FX units on E-bay is crazy!!!!

I have said this before and will say it again, THIS will happen! Count on it. Fractal is a very small company. They are not on places where you do massive ordering like musicians friend.

The reason? The only can produce so many units at a time.

I think comparing it to how many a company like Line 6 can churn out is a better analogy since Musicians Friend doesn't actually make products. ;)

But I also think you'd be surprised at how much they could produce and how many Axe II's will be available. Enough for everyone? Who's to say because we probably don't know the full demand, but I reckon at least the vast majority will get one if they want it. Past problems seemed to always be related to supplier issue, not manufacturing ones.

I can't wait for people to complain about how they have been trying to get the Axe 2 for a year after selling their standard/ultra.

Might drive the prices back up again?!?!?! Just sayin'!

FWIW - the OP originally stated that here were like 246 ULTRAs an EBAY, but later edited down to save face! Knowing this helps explain the first few responses, which were hilarious!:mrgreen

One thing we need to remember..."the sky is NOT falling" on used ultras or standards as some predicted it would.

I think there has been a lot of dumb people going out and panic selling and then claiming that the prices for ultra and standards are way below what they were.

WELL OF COURSE STUPID...BUT YOU DID THAT TO YOURSELF!

It was NOT for the reasons people mention such as blaming the axe fx II for the decrease! It is peoples own panic and desire to settle for anything that drove the prices down!

But if you look on ebay now an ultra is not going for $500.00 as some suggested....it is going for $1,600.00 to $1,800.00 generally. Some idiots were calling the old units a paperweight.....well it seems SOMEONE is buying them! Maybe because they realize they are not as useless as some believe they now are with the axe fx II coming out.

You have to remember one thing....a LOT of people never bought an axe fx of any kind before! So this is a totally new experience for them. And they are still paying good prices for them because even though there is something better on the horizon, they never had anything to compare it with.

I think the Axe-Fx standard and Ultra would go down on prices once the Axe-Fx2 is out.. Right now i believe the madness on ebay is all about those that want the new Unit.. heck who knows if there is some kind of Mojo going on this NOW old Units that you wont get on the new ones..

Might drive the prices back up again?!?!?! Just sayin'!

FWIW - the OP originally stated that here were like 246 ULTRAs an EBAY, but later edited down to save face! Knowing this helps explain the first few responses, which were hilarious!:mrgreen

Actually it was my mistake when i wrote about it, didn't figure about it until i saw a reply. I didn't start this to cause problem or start an argument about it just to point out an observation on how you could find almost no used Axe-FX on ebay before the Axe-Fx2 announcement and now to this date..

Last edited:
Again, I just have a bad feeling about this. I think there are going to be a lot of dissapointed people that sold their gear and cannot get a new one because the supply ran dry. When that happens.... look for a lot of those dissapointed people to show up here.

Again, I hope I am wrong, but I sincerely doubt it.

And then of course there will be a whole new wave of complainers about the lack of supply and how Fractal should have anticipated the demand and produced 10x as many as are available.

History does repeat itself. . . I will buy another AxeFx. . . . the sun will rise. . . people will complain. . . Cliff will innovate. . . some people will buy, other people will complain . . and on and on it goes.

" Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives "

Doesn't anyone who's selling their Ultras GIG?? I mean, I'm planning on getting the Axe-Fx ll, but until I have it in my hands, the Ultra is staying.

I'm strictly a studio guy and between album projects at the moment, so I could in theory sell my Standard and be Axe-less for a period while waiting for a AFX-II to arrive. But frankly, I'd rather sell off some other gear I have sitting around in order to get the II. The Standard will still work great as an effects box for mixdown etc., and if I want I can sell it down the line when there isn't such a glut of units on eBay. Inevitably, what will happen is that once the AFX-II early adopters get theirs in hand, the number of Standards/Ultras on eBay will decline dramatically. Sure, the values will still be less than what they used to be, but that's life.

It's panic selling. They all think they're going to get a better price selling (at a greater loss) BEFORE the Axe II is released. Either way, the prices will stabilize before too long as there's a finite supply of current models. Whether or not you get an Axe II, the Standard and Ultra are GREAT boxes, and should maintain value above where it is at the moment (on eBay).

eBay prices won't go back up. Doesn't matter if you sell now or in six months. The question is will they go down further and by how much?

I can't wait for people to complain about how they have been trying to get the Axe 2 for a year after selling their standard/ultra.

I can't wait for a few of these sellers complaining that version 1 was better and they should have kept it.
I'm 100% sure there will be some.

;)

Prices on eBay seem to be dropping from the 1600-1700 range closer to the announcement to the 1500-1600 range now.

I'm thinking that the $1500 range is going to end up being the sweet spot for the Ultra. It's a good value for a buyer and whether anyone else agrees I still think that it's a very fair price for a used device considering the fact that a new AxeFXII is only $2200. Someone would be more apt to step into a used Ultra if they are saving $700, but when you are talking about $200-400 most people would probably opt for saving a few more bucks for the new one. I know that I would.

FWIW, I added the figures for completed auctions on eBay since 8-May.

I didn't include non-US currency auctions, ones including a MFC101 and a couple that ended at $100...

I came up with 52 sales at an average of ~US$1680 with more recent sales seeming to be a bit lower...

I didn't recheck my addition, so YMMV, but I think I'm reasonably close.

I also didn't attempt to adjust for any included goodies like free shipping, cases, interfaces, etc. in the various auctions.

I stand by my prior post that's its panic selling! We can argue ending price point for Ultra and Standard as naseum.
I'm already seeing people posting complaints that they are axe-less... while waiting for the Axe II come out. Oops!! :eek:ops
Perhaps they should have thought about it a bit.

If you are having to sell equiptment, the wife, kids, or pets in order to be able to afford the II... then perhaps you should be considering upgrading that day job before purchasing? :lol

no panic here at the 'bay .de
only one Ultra on offer and the ones already sold went for 1700-ish EUR.
still an excellent resale value.

Back
Top Bottom