The Pop Tart thread

That's from the delay.
Ahhh. I put one pop tart in and set the delay but they dont trail off properly. Kind of fall off...:D

kemptartdelay.jpg

Q:

is it the pastry? the filling? all i know is that Pop Tarts popping up means owie fingertips when toast is immediately grabable. what gives?

A:

Heat content and heat transfer

The toast and the pop tart come out of the toaster at about the same temperature, but they're made out of very different things.

A simple example: preheat your oven to 212 degrees. Stick your hand in there. Leave it there for a few minutes. Maybe you're a little warm.

Now preheat a pot of water to 212 degrees. If you leave it in there for even half a second, you're going to suffer serious burns.

The difference is in the heat content. Air has very low heat content. Water has very high heat content.

Another thing going on is heat transfer. A piece of toast gets cold very quickly, because it's full of nooks and crannies that radiate the heat. A pop tart is smooth, and the filling is well protected from the room-temperature air. It remains hotter longer.

The pop tart adds insult to injury by being sticky. Touch a piece of toast. If it's too hot, you let go. Touch the inside of a pop tart, and the stuff sticks to you like napalm.

One of the things I found tricky to learn in physics is getting over the difference between temperature and heat. They're related, but not identical. We have an intuitive understanding of how the two relate for air temperature, which is the one we hear most often, but it doesn't apply to other things.

And you can even have something with a high heat content and a high temperature, like hot coals, and actually put your bare skin on them, because they don't transfer heat well. The outer surface cools, and the inside doesn't reheat it very quickly, so you're safe as long as you keep moving. Eventually, the inside will replenish the heat to the outside, and then you'll burn.

Source: http://askville.amazon.com/Pop-Tarts-toaster-hotter-toast/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=10307329

Q:

is it the pastry? the filling? all i know is that Pop Tarts popping up means owie fingertips when toast is immediately grabable. what gives?

A:

The toast and the pop tart come out of the toaster at about the same temperature, but they're made out of very different things.

A simple example: preheat your oven to 212 degrees. Stick your hand in there. Leave it there for a few minutes. Maybe you're a little warm.

Now preheat a pot of water to 212 degrees. If you leave it in there for even half a second, you're going to suffer serious burns.

The difference is in the heat content. Air has very low heat content. Water has very high heat content.

Another thing going on is heat transfer. A piece of toast gets cold very quickly, because it's full of nooks and crannies that radiate the heat. A pop tart is smooth, and the filling is well protected from the room-temperature air. It remains hotter longer.

The pop tart adds insult to injury by being sticky. Touch a piece of toast. If it's too hot, you let go. Touch the inside of a pop tart, and the stuff sticks to you like napalm.

One of the things I found tricky to learn in physics is getting over the difference between temperature and heat. They're related, but not identical. We have an intuitive understanding of how the two relate for air temperature, which is the one we hear most often, but it doesn't apply to other things.

And you can even have something with a high heat content and a high temperature, like hot coals, and actually put your bare skin on them, because they don't transfer heat well. The outer surface cools, and the inside doesn't reheat it very quickly, so you're safe as long as you keep moving. Eventually, the inside will replenish the heat to the outside, and then you'll burn.

Source: why do Pop Tarts come out of the toaster so much hotter than toast does?

Scott... you're a disturbed individual.

:D

I had to quote this post since I could find no way to like it 10[SUP]100[/SUP]times (google that one for a good laugh.. if you have not giggled already).
(nor would I have the time in one human lifespan to physically do so)
Q:

A:

Source: why do Pop Tarts come out of the toaster so much hotter than toast does?

Q:

A:

The article neglects to even mention heat conduction, from the Pop Tart to your skin. Good ol' thermal resistance. The closest they come is to mention "heat transfer" as a reason that the toast cools faster. But its heat conductance that does you in.

Try this experiment: preheat your barbecue to "lots of coals." Now grab the grill. Good ol' grid conduction will add the same "fizz" to your skin tone that you'd get from a "real" stove.

or if you turn the toast-O-meter to charcoal you will most definitely get results :lol

Toasters are really one of the last bastions of household appliances where the one dial you have to adjust really can cause a major disaster!

Sigh, back in the day all appliances and power tools were cool and you could really hurt yourself :)

Richard

Back
Top Bottom